New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

JesseJames
Novice

Post by JesseJames »

Hi I am a long time reader ,but today decided to join. I have a 5 gallon Alembic still. I am interested in making small amounts of alcohol a few times a year. In the past with help from this site I have made UJSM, Rum, wheat germ, raisin, and some fruit washes. I have played with all grain corn, wheat, and malt. Wheat turned out the best for me, but I am far from a expert.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: New member

Post by still_stirrin »

Welcome aboard JJ.

This website is the best hobby distiller website in the world. As you know, there are members from around the globe bringing their experience to share here. You’ll be guided through the “tricky” parts and learn from our mistakes. And while here, you can share your knowledge and experience with us and other new distillers as well.

The Tried & True recipe forum is a great place to look for recipes which will intrigue and give you some variety for your liquor cabinet. The construction forums will give tips on future builds you may decide to undertake, or even how to improve the equipment you currently use.

Settle in and read a while. And let us know your thoughts and questions. This is the best place for a hobby distiller.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Welcome!

A 5g setup is on the small side. later when you want a bigger setup would make a great gin still if you ever wanted to make some!

B
NorthWoodsAb
Swill Maker

Post by NorthWoodsAb »

Welcome aboard JJ this is the best place to build on your experience and share your triumphs and the ones that don't work so well.
JesseJames
Novice

Post by JesseJames »

Thank you for the warm welcome. I am in a small apartment so the waste from larger ferments, not being able to run still outdoors, and the extra cooling water keep me with a smaller still. Some day i will add a bigger still to my arsenal , but I am happy with the amount of alcohol for now. I am re-reading safety to see if anything was missed. It seems that any question about the tried and true has been answered if you read through the whole post. Enjoying the hobby since 2013