Polish Still(I know!) Modification.

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Jd90009
Novice

Polish Still(I know!) Modification.

Post by Jd90009 »

So I bought a still from Poland a couple of years ago. Those ones with the "clarifying pots" or whatever they're called along the top. Only ran a couple of turbo washes through it but am now wanting to head down the whiskey and/or bourbon route and take the hobby more seriously after some time out.

So the fitting on the keg is a DN50 which I really am not familiar with and I want to convert that to a 2" column after which I can run it as a pot or reflux and actually have some variation in its uses, the keg itself and element are spot on(after adding my own controller as the supplied one confused the life out of me!) Attached are the photos of the fitting and the top of the keg. Apologies for quality they're in my container and a bit difficult to reach at the moment!

Thanks all!
Attachments
20220807_103918.jpg
20220807_104218.jpg
20220807_104229.jpg
Demy
Master of Distillation

Re: Polish Still(I know!) Modification.

Post by Demy »

The only DIN connections I know of are threaded, that doesn't seem to have a thread or am I wrong? There are DIN / triclamp adapters but I don't know if that's what you're looking for ....
-433391621-549072958.jpg
Jd90009
Novice

Post by Jd90009 »

Demy wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:15 am The only DIN connections I know of are threaded, that doesn't seem to have a thread or am I wrong? There are DIN / triclamp adapters but I don't know if that's what you're looking for ....
-433391621-549072958.jpg
Hello! Yeah the collar around the fitting is threaded as is the top of the keg if that makes sense? As though the collar is a tri clamp?
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Kegs have an (almost) triclamp fitting. They don't have the grooves for the gasket so you'll need to sand down a ptfe gasket to make it fit but other than that small mod you can use standard 2" triclamp parts directly on to the keg.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

NormandieStill wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:40 am Kegs have an (almost) triclamp fitting. They don't have the grooves for the gasket so you'll need to sand down a ptfe gasket to make it fit but other than that small mod you can use standard 2" triclamp parts directly on to the keg.
Normandiestill from the photo seems to me that the stem has a threaded part, so the ring with the wording "DN50" should screw to the stem, I don't think that stem has a classic flange .... more than I see Teflon on the stem .. ..
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Cattura.PNG
If it is as I think (you should check carefully) and you want to switch to a triclamp attack I think you need something like this
tommysb
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tommysb »

I think these are DIN fittings which have both the conical ferrule (on the base of your column, I think) and the seat/socket which is what's on your still.

There's a demo of the standard in action here:

What you would need is something like the conical ferrule shown here (same as what's on the base of your column):

https://www.schwer.com/en_GB/conical-fe ... 8df235bf4f

So you can either mod the top of your keg (I wouldn't go this way, personally), or do a DIN to triclamp adaptor as Demy suggested. The picture of the one on the listing he show's in incorrect, but that's from a different size.Maybe the adaptor from aliexpress will just do the trick.

If that doesn't, you'd have to make up your own. So, weld a DIN DN50 conical onto one end of a tube, and a triclamp 2" onto the other. And you'd need the locking ring on the conical end. From there use off-the-shelf parts on triclamp standard connection.

Or just make up your own column however you want and use the DIN50 connection at the base.
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

Check out Glacier tanks
They have all sorts of din fittings and adapters
https://www.glaciertanks.com/fittings/d ... pters.html
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
tommysb
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tommysb »

Yep glacier tanks part DIN-14I-13R-TC-G200 would be what you want, I think.
Jd90009
Novice

Post by Jd90009 »

I emailed glaciertanks earlier this morning but no response as of yet so that code will work wonders thank you! Will get it ordered and get this show on the road again. Looks like I'll have to get my fine lady a new bag so I can go condenser shopping!

Thanks for all the help guys