100% corn accidental experiment

All styles of whiskey. This is for all-grain mashes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

overoaked
Novice

100% corn accidental experiment

Post by overoaked »

When I usually make 100% corn wash it's done with enzymes. But on this occasion I was in a rush thought the enzymes had been added. But the packets had fallen down the back of the bench and had not noticed. In the morning checked for starch and it was positive. Now all the heat had gone. Options would be to reheat add the enzymes but was busy away from the house that day. So I decided to add some Chinese yeast balls that where originally destined for rice wine. Well it's fermenting slowly like rice wine. Has anyone had experience with this? So happy accident or hideous mistake let's find out.

Grain bill 25kg flaked corn
Attachments
corn_yeast_ball_ferment.jpg
yeast_balls.jpg
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Re: 100% corn accidental experiment

Post by Twisted Brick »

There are many members here who are enamored with the time-saving efficiency of yeast balls while others feel the yeast strain makes their whiskeys taste like shochu (rice wine). Your personal assessment of the flavor is the only one that matters.

FWIW, you are paying good money for someone else to pre-gelatinize your flaked corn. You can still use your HT and beta enzymes to convert a straight mash of cornmeal but at approximately half the cost of the flaked corn. The finished ferment will squeeze easier too.
Last edited by Twisted Brick on Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

I like shochu.
Though I don't know enough about this subject to comment.

Geoff
The Baker
tjsc5f
Swill Maker

Post by tjsc5f »

Do the Chinese yeast balls have the same fungus/yeast combo that's in the Angel yellow label yeast?