phpBB upgraded to the latest version

Moderator: Site Moderator

Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

phpBB upgraded to the latest version

Post by Uncle Jesse »

I'm hoping things are working. None of the extensions are installed, I will work on these as I can.

I have upgraded the forum and am going to upgrade some server software behind the scenes. Note that there will be periodic downtime in the next few days. This cannot be helped.

I hope that this solves the horrible lag we were experiencing. For those of you who are unix savvy, when I upgraded to FreeBSD 13.1, php7.3 was no longer available and php was upgraded to 7.4. I think the older version of phpBB didn't like that.

Let me know if you find any problems/quirks. I am going to start working on the extensions and the one style I had installed.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Re: phpBB upgraded to the latest version

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Just because it wasn't difficult enough, I upgraded php from 7.4 to 8.1

Please report any weirdness.
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

Snappy now.
Thanks UJ
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Seems as fast as f*%#k now .....thanks for all you do to keep this forum alive UJ .......the distilling world would be a much poorer place without it.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Hope it is better. Please let me know if you run into any big hassles.

I'm going to try to relax now, this was pretty stressful!

Enjoy and stay safe, Duke Boys!
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Relax and pour your self a very large UJSSM or something else that you enjoy equally as much .............the reward is much deserved. :thumbup:
IMALOSERSCUMBAG
Swill Maker

Post by IMALOSERSCUMBAG »

Uncle Jesse wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:50 pm

I hope that this solves the horrible lag we were experiencing. For those of you who are unix savvy, when I upgraded to FreeBSD 13.1, php7.3 was no longer available and php was upgraded to 7.4. I think the older version of phpBB didn't like that.

Today I learned Uncle Jesse is a computer nerd. I have no idea what language he is speaking ^^^ but I appreciate it.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Thanks for all the hard work Uncle Jesse! Enjoy yourself some down time
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
witch
Novice

Post by witch »

Well done Sir. Much faster now very much appreciated
Live today hope for tomorrow
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Can't log in from Tapatalk, but maybe that's intentional! I know its a PITA if folks don't turn off the signature line.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Tummydoc wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:01 pm Can't log in from Tapatalk, but maybe that's intentional! I know its a PITA if folks don't turn off the signature line.
Correct Tummy . We decided to scape Tapatalk and the reason you mentioned was high on the priority .

As you have found the forum and can still use it without tapatalk , shows it was a good move and not the end of the world .
I’m sure a few people will have a whinge but such is life .
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

A couple of changes I've made with the upgrade.

1. EXIF data is now removed from any uploaded images. I wish this had been the case long before. This is a move to protect user privacy. I may look into options of retroactively stripping this data from images on HD.

2. Donors are now automatically added to the "Donor" group.
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Uncle Jesse wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:00 pm Just because it wasn't difficult enough, I upgraded php from 7.4 to 8.1

Please report any weirdness.
Outstanding so far. You done good for all of us. Thank you.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
Archee72
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Archee72 »

Great work UJ 👍
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Uncle Jesse wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:45 pm A couple of changes I've made with the upgrade.

1. EXIF data is now removed from any uploaded images.
Apart from the bonus of removing GPS location from pics , I’m curious to see if it will also help with the rotated pic issue we had with the last version .

…… not that I’ll miss flipp’n sideways pics :ebiggrin:

Great work Uncle . Thanks heaps
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Lets test that
Landscape
Landscape
Portrait
Portrait
Edit :Damn it .
I blame Apple :ebiggrin:
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Dayam , looks like we still gotta flip shit ….. LOL , I still blame Apple
4F02BF0D-11B3-4064-A2D6-3AD41F8353A1.jpeg
Iff’n you all want to know , there is no quick Moderator button to rotate a pic . We have to click on pic , copy pic to owe PC or phone , rotate it in a picture editing application , save it to or PC or phone , edit your post , delete your original pic, add the rotated pic and place in line ( hopefully in the right place ) hope and pray and press submit .

So bottom line is , take your photos in Landscape if you can . If you post portrait pics , they will appear sideways .

If a Mod cares enough , they will attempt to rotate your pics …… but it is all care and no responsibility .

We understand that you have put a lot of effort into a post . We try our best to preserve your post while rotating pics , but sometimes , especially in long posts with multiple pics , sometimes things get stuffed up .

So please help by taking landscape pics
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

i don't seem to have issues with pics being sideways?
But then, i screenshot them and then paste so there is no EXIF data
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I am experiencing problems in uploading photos correctly (both Windows and Android), I can provide more info if you need.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Demy wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:13 am I am experiencing problems in uploading photos correctly (both Windows and Android), I can provide more info if you need.
More info please.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

What I currently found: when I load the photos (a few minutes ago) in the text window, I don't see the position of the photo but I only see the text type. I don't see the exact location, if I upload more photos consecutively the order of the photos is reversed. As mentioned in PM sometimes it gives me error "file is too big" but this does not correspond to the truth. A little while ago by Androids when I tried to upload the photo it gives me "Http error". Thanks for support
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Example I was talking about, here you will find the post with the photos
viewtopic.php?t=87863

Here is how the text appears, with the photos already uploaded
Attachments
Immagine 2022-08-03 203220.png
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

I can see the post and the photos just fine. I'm not sure I'm completely understanding the problem.

Anyone else experiencing anything like this?
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Uncle Jesse wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:56 pm I can see the post and the photos just fine. I'm not sure I'm completely understanding the problem.

Anyone else experiencing anything like this?
Generally when I uploaded the photos, in the text, the text string [attacment etc .. etc ...] appeared instead now it does not appear, so you don't know the positioning of the photo with respect to the text.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Demy . I understand your problem .
In the last version , the attachments were automatically inserted as you typed and added an attachment .

This version is doing it like the forums used to do it about 8 years ago , whereby it just displays the attachments at the end of your text . ( but does not list them )

The way to insert the attachments in your text is easy .
Simply place your curser where you want a picture to be and press enter . Scroll down to your attachments and click the “place in line “ button on the pic you want . It will then put the attachment where your curser is .

Any attachments you did not specify to “place in line “ will automatically be shown at the end of your text . ( but you will not see the attachments listed after your text)

I also find it easier if I add a “comment” to each attachment so I can keep track of what picture is what . It makes editing your post easier .Especially if you need to “delete” an attachment and replace it with another .
You can edit you post and remove “comments” after you are happy with the post if you would prefer the attachment comments to not be there .
Picture of attachments
Picture of attachments
Picture of text
Picture of text
Personally , I prefer this method of having to manually place in line as it gives more control and less random things happen
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Thanks Yummyrum. I get it now.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Yummyrum wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:32 pm Demy . I understand your problem .
In the last version , the attachments were automatically inserted as you typed and added an attachment .

This version is doing it like the forums used to do it about 8 years ago , whereby it just displays the attachments at the end of your text . ( but does not list them )

The way to insert the attachments in your text is easy .
Simply place your curser where you want a picture to be and press enter . Scroll down to your attachments and click the “place in line “ button on the pic you want . It will then put the attachment where your curser is .

Any attachments you did not specify to “place in line “ will automatically be shown at the end of your text . ( but you will not see the attachments listed after your text)

I also find it easier if I add a “comment” to each attachment so I can keep track of what picture is what . It makes editing your post easier .Especially if you need to “delete” an attachment and replace it with another .
You can edit you post and remove “comments” after you are happy with the post if you would prefer the attachment comments to not be there .

9A48E2AA-E49B-43E1-8CEE-F997D5FE5BA1.png2C339161-8CD0-4C51-B498-3BC77064FBB3.png

Personally , I prefer this method of having to manually place in line as it gives more control and less random things happen
Ok Yummy, I have always ignored that "place in line" button ... in general, as you said, the photos positioned themselves automatically. Thank you so much for the clarification.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Demy wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:30 am Ok Yummy, I have always ignored that "place in line" button ... in general, as you said, the photos positioned themselves automatically. Thank you so much for the clarification.
No worries Demy .

I’m on a few pHp forums ( distilling and other ) ,and they all do things similar , but in slightly different ways . Helps when things change slightly one way or other .

Regarding the list in the Attachments .
New attachments are always the one at the top . ( the first one as you scroll down)
So if you add a new attachment, the top one is the one to “place in line “ to be sequential with your text .

I guess this is also why you discovered that they appear in reverse order .( iff’n you don’t “place inline “ )
Its a case of last in , first in line
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Thanks again, I wondered why the insertion order was inverted, I will test but I understand how it works!
lloyd
Novice

Post by lloyd »

I signed up for an account after the upgrade, so I can't know for sure if my problem is related to the upgrade, but I bet it is.

The validation for the user profile fields Interests and Occupation don't seem to be quite right. I'm not allowed to use spaces in the Occupation field, so my Occupation is currently "Soon-to-be-retired" instead of "Soon to be retired". I'm not allowed to use commas in the Interests field, so it's a bit of word soup instead of a coherent list of interests.

These do seem like the sort of things that can get dinged by a major software upgrade. Other than that, these forums seem to be running really well with pages loading fast even from here on the other side of the world.

Cheers