Agitator with a internal electric element to distill on grain?

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Evil_Dark
Site Donor
Site Donor

Agitator with a internal electric element to distill on grain?

Post by Evil_Dark »

Hi!
I'm almost done with my agitator build. I do have an internal electric element (3kW).
Is it a bad idea? I think I've read somewhere that event with an agitator, the internal electric element aren't so good to distill on grain...?

What do you think?
Thanks
Evil_Dark
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Re: Agitator with a internal electric element to distill on grain?

Post by StillerBoy »

Evil_Dark wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:47 am I'm almost done with my agitator build. I do have an internal electric element (3kW).
Is it a bad idea?
If the intent of the agitator is to distill with the grains in the boiler, be careful in using to much power, and have the right element, an ULWH, otherwise it will scorch big time even with the agitator.. best is a steam setup, and would of probably cost less than the agitator setup..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

I have a friend who used to steam strip all of his AG ferments.
He then built a boiler with an agitator and runs gas under it. His comments to me have been that he's never had a scorch, that it's much much quicker than steam stripping, and that he would never go back to his old method.
No personal experience......just what I'm told.
Could point you in his direction if need be.
Renhoekk
Swill Maker

Post by Renhoekk »

The challenge with an AG run on an internal element, is that the element is small relative to the size of your boiler. So it's basically a hot spot for pieces of grain to fry themselves on. Where an AG boiler is heated internally, it's usually done with a long spiral of steam pipe around the sides of the boiler, plus an agitator. The piping spreads the heat throughout the boiler, and the agitator keeps the grain in motion to prevent prolonged contact.

All grain boilers with external heating operate on a similar principle - usually a steam or oil jacket to spread out the heat, and an internal agitator.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

dunno how you will fare with the element...guess is it will still scorch. But the agitator is worth it, it makes better likker for sure.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Evil_Dark
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Evil_Dark »

Ok so It's risky to use an internal element, especially that mine is not really low watt density...
I've found some heatpad that are 1440W, on the 120VAC. So I would be able to have two on my 20gal new still with the agitator.
I would heat the walls, with the agitator it shouldn't scorch!

I will post the results as soon as I finish the agitator and the installation.

Thanks guys!
Evil_Dark