Running Plates for the First Time

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Running Plates for the First Time

Post by Stonecutter »

You’re right again Bill. No real detail about plated columns or reflux stills at all.
I don’t want to get too far off topic and into the weeds here as I really appreciate werkkrew bringing experiences to the table for guys like me to learn from.
But if the MODs will allow me to wax about running by time and temperature for a brief moment. It’s true that using temp probes and mathematical schemes can be great crutches to get you to a certain point. However, to make an analogy, there is a reason race car drivers drive stick shift. Ok Maybe that’s a terrible analogy but they do become one with their machines in a way. IMO Running a still by your senses should be one of the first things we hobbyists learn to do. I think if new hobbyists get into this thinking that they can simply make an algorithm to run the still for them that they’ll be setting themselves up for frustration and failure. Learn the still ask the questions and be prepared to but in some dedicated time to producing a fine drop.
IDK just my novice drunken opinion…maybe it’s more like a baker sticking a toothpick into a cake…
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Running Plates for the First Time

Post by bluc »

For neutral with packed section over plates I have found long full reflux, 1hr not 2 to be very beneficial when doing neutral allows a faster run at azeo...