Anyone made a DIY agitator with mechanical seal?

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Evil_Dark
Site Donor
Site Donor

Anyone made a DIY agitator with mechanical seal?

Post by Evil_Dark »

Hi guys, looking to add an agitator to my boiler.
The challenge is to have a mechanical seal that allows the rotation of the shaft, but won't let the vapors leaks...

I saw expensive tri-clamp agitator kits (1500$ or more), but I search for the mechanical seal alone and it seems also on the expensive side...
Anyone had found a good solution for that?

The goal is to distill on grain. I'm evaluating the agitator or the steam injection in the thumper for steam distillation...
Thanks
Evil_Dark
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Anyone made a DIY agitator with mechanical seal?

Post by greggn »

Evil_Dark wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:25 am
The challenge is to have a mechanical seal that allows the rotation of the shaft, but won't let the vapors leaks...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=61817

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Here's some of the experiments I played around with.

viewtopic.php?f=85&t=71347&hilit=agitator
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Can get a commensurately sized oil seal from plenty of suppliers for what appears to be about 8 bux.

Not sure about the teflon bushing? I have em CNC'd when I need em because all the sizes don't seem to be available same as the oil seals.

Lube all the mating surfaces with food safe grease.
Hobby Mech Seal.png
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Evil_Dark
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Evil_Dark »

LWTCS wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:57 am Can get a commensurately sized oil seal from plenty of suppliers for what appears to be about 8 bux.

Not sure about the teflon bushing? I have em CNC'd when I need em because all the sizes don't seem to be available same as the oil seals.

Lube all the mating surfaces with food safe grease.

Hobby Mech Seal.png
Your design is pretty similar than the one I'm making! Except I've made a longer support in order to have more strenght for when the agitator try to bend (if it ever have to).
I'm almost ready to assemble it! I choosed a 5/8" shaft for rigidity, and shaft collar to secure the depth of the agitator in the boiler. Everything is mounted on PTFE bushings, and PTFE packing for sealing instead of mechanical seal.

Evil Dark
Evil_Dark
Evil_Dark
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Evil_Dark »

Some pictures of my agitator build:
image.png
image.png
Evil_Dark
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

If the tube extends below the liquid level a mechanical seal isn't needed.
I did use a seal, it's inside the compression fitting.
Attachments
DSCF0014.JPG
Stircrazy
Novice

Post by Stircrazy »

Evil_Dark wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:16 pm Some pictures of my agitator build:
image.png
image.png
is that a gland type seal where you put your packing rings in and it has a colar you can tighten down on it?
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

That's the design.
The seal was made from a compression fitting.
I cut a short piece of PTFE tubing for the packing.
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

shadylane wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:56 pm If the tube extends below the liquid level a mechanical seal isn't needed.
I did use a seal, it's inside the compression fitting.
So what part spins? the solid center rod?

I'm assuming the disc acts as a tri-clamp end cap and the compression fitting with PTFE sleeve acts as your small mechanical seal?
I'm looking for options to add an agitator to my tall still and it seems that yours is the simplest solution. I could wire it to a small variable speed motor and controller.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

bcook608 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:57 pm
So what part spins? the solid center rod?
Yes.
Evil_Dark
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Evil_Dark »

Stircrazy wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:36 pm
image.png
image.png
is that a gland type seal where you put your packing rings in and it has a colar you can tighten down on it?
No. I used a small pipe (1in dia) to make the seal/packing/bushing part. I insert the packing material (PTFE) inside while the center rod (the agitator) is in place, then the bushings keeps it in place jnside the 1in pipe. Basically the packing material is inserted all around the Rod, and the bushings retain it in place and the bushings are helping the ability of the rod to turn without friction and wear. It’s a bit compressed so it makes a good seal, but still allows the rod (agitator) to turn.
Then two shaft collars are holding everything together, and also make a possible adjustment of the length of the agitator into the boiler.

Dark
Evil_Dark
Stircrazy
Novice

Post by Stircrazy »

Evil_Dark wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:15 am
Stircrazy wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:36 pm
image.png
image.png
No. I used a small pipe (1in dia) to make the seal/packing/bushing part. I insert the packing material (PTFE) inside while the center rod (the agitator) is in place, then the bushings keeps it in place jnside the 1in pipe. Basically the packing material is inserted all around the Rod, and the bushings retain it in place and the bushings are helping the ability of the rod to turn without friction and wear. It’s a bit compressed so it makes a good seal, but still allows the rod (agitator) to turn.
Then two shaft collars are holding everything together, and also make a possible adjustment of the length of the agitator into the boiler.

Dark
so you should have said yers haha, so when you packed that did you leave it one lenght and just wrap it around or did you cut it into single rings, put one in stager the seam on the next one and so on. it does make a difference in how well they seal.
Evil_Dark
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Evil_Dark »

Stircrazy wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:46 pm
so you should have said yers haha, so when you packed that did you leave it one lenght and just wrap it around or did you cut it into single rings, put one in stager the seam on the next one and so on. it does make a difference in how well they seal.
Yes I kept in one length and wrapped it around to ensure the good seal :)
Was a PITA tho, it was tight. It took me 2 hours and I wasted the inside of my hand…
Worth it :D
Evil_Dark
Stircrazy
Novice

Post by Stircrazy »

Evil_Dark wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:12 pm
Stircrazy wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:46 pm
Yes I kept in one length and wrapped it around to ensure the good seal :)
Was a PITA tho, it was tight. It took me 2 hours and I wasted the inside of my hand…
Worth it :D
I have been packing valves for 30 years now, do it in individual rings and then stagger the joints, will give you a better seal as if you leave it as one continous piece there is a path for leaking. albeit at the psi we are dealing with it might not matter haha, Im used to valves that have 650 psi steam on them.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

The goal is to distill on grain.
just saying I distill on grain with no agitator and no scorching. (using propane as a heat source) I just stir it as it heats and when the still is about to reach the point of production I seal it up.

so my fancy agitator is a big wooden mash paddle.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

squigglefunk wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:37 am
The goal is to distill on grain.
just saying I distill on grain with no agitator and no scorching. (using propane as a heat source) I just stir it as it heats and when the still is about to reach the point of production I seal it up.

so my fancy agitator is a big wooden mash paddle.
That's how Dunderhead woulda done it. Said as a boy he stirred till his arms felt like they were going to fall off.

I bet Goose has heard about some ole boys that did that too?
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

LWTCS wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:08 pm
That's how Dunderhead woulda done it. Said as a boy he stirred till his arms felt like they were going to fall off.

I mean I don't really have to constantly stir it? I usually will open it up and and give it a whirl every so often until it's about steaming. Maybe with denser mashes it would pay to constantly stir it. I am not be throwing 100% of all the grains from every run in, I like to leave some slop at the bottom to do a sugarhead run usually.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

squigglefunk wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:50 am
LWTCS wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:08 pm

I mean I don't really have to constantly stir it? I usually will open it up and and give it a whirl every so often until it's about steaming. Maybe with denser mashes it would pay to constantly stir it. I am not be throwing 100% of all the grains from every run in, I like to leave some slop at the bottom to do a sugarhead run usually.
Dnder evidently also did some contract work for an outfit so I would imagine his kettle charges were pretty large.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

LWTCS wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:17 am Dnder evidently also did some contract work for an outfit so I would imagine his kettle charges were pretty large.
cool I love it man, you can taste the hand stirred goodness
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

squigglefunk wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:19 am
LWTCS wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:17 am Dnder evidently also did some contract work for an outfit so I would imagine his kettle charges were pretty large.
cool I love it man, you can taste the hand stirred goodness
Haha, as I recall he hated it. He started as a young boy taking orders from his demanding father as I recall how the story went.
Talked about the trouble he ever got into by accidentally allowing the kettle charge to scorch.