One Gallon Oak Barrel Aging

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

One Gallon Oak Barrel Aging

Post by Stonecutter »

Here are the results after 3 months (give or take a week) of aging in my basement. One Gallon Charred American Oak Barrel. Temperatures fluctuate between 70-75F at any given time of the year. Although completely delicious, I would say it’s right on the edge of not being over “oaked” for my taste. I’ll let it sit in the basement till December and give some updates.
B12A1C06-184C-493E-AA56-045EE2F1DEBC.jpeg
A40DDBFD-E329-4A56-94F6-4675383B74B0.jpeg
94638AFB-0AF9-426F-B216-6B37C95FCE0C.jpeg
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Re: One Gallon Oak Barrel Aging

Post by Twisted Brick »

I’ll bet any ‘over-oaked’ notes melt into caramelly goodness leaving you with a stellar spirit. Care to share the grain bill? Nice job. Thanks for sharing.

TB
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Thanks Twisted! I really need to take better notes with stuff like this :? BUT I’m pretty damn sure it was a Bourbon and Single Malt blend. I would have used malted rye in the single malt and flaked corn in the bourbon.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Nice color. must have been a new barrel. My 5 gallon barrel of 7 month old single malt isnt near that color, but its a once used barrel. Im about half way to where I think it will end up. Im figuring on 18 months in the barrel minimum.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I think that’s my favorite color!

Cheers,
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:13 pm I think that’s my favorite color!

Cheers,
-j
Mine too. I like to collect that color. I call it "Ambernectar" Some times you can even get a beautiful mahogany.
ambernectar.jpg
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

:esurprised:
Deplorable wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:19 pm
jonnys_spirit wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:13 pm I think that’s my favorite color!

Cheers,
-j
Mine too. I like to collect that color. I call it "Ambernectar" Some times you can even get a beautiful mahogany.
ambernectar.jpg
“Ambernecter” I may hang on to that one if it’s ok with you Deplorable :ewink: I really appreciate it guys. Yes, it’s the first aging process for that Barrel. After reading about small quantity barrel aging I was really curious to see the results. Once I filled it I never did taste test it until yesterday when I emptied it. Honestly, it’s the longest I’ve let anything sit. Hell yes it was worth the wait! It’s been filled with the same thing, a Bourbon & Single Malt Blend but now that I’ve learned and experienced more and refined my techniques I’m really excited to see what happens with the next batch.
-Thomas Paine
ash_from_oz
Novice

Post by ash_from_oz »

Mighty fine looking drop you've got there Stonecutter.

A couple of mine are starting to come around to that colour now but I'm "aging" in jars with charred oak sticks. A Barrel is high on my list for purchasing when the funds allow it, there is a place here that sells 10L ones for a reasonable price (by Australian standards) that I wanna get my hands on and get some larger batches aged up.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

ash_from_oz wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:29 pm there is a place here that sells 10L ones for a reasonable price (by Australian standards)
Care to let the cat out of the bag Ash?
ash_from_oz
Novice

Post by ash_from_oz »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:55 pm
ash_from_oz wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:29 pm there is a place here that sells 10L ones for a reasonable price (by Australian standards)
Care to let the cat out of the bag Ash?
Best deal I've found for an actual American oak charred barrel is from kegland, might not be the best quality, probably a cheap import, but for what it is it's the cheapest I've found at $170. I've seen deals on them on occasion but 170 is the price at the moment.
https://www.kegland.com.au/10l-oak-barrel.html

From actual cooperages here closest I've found for 10l is just under $400 with long delays and bad reviews.or massive second use 200-300l barrels but they sell out quickly and I could never fill one.

The other reasonable one I've seen is port/muscat filled 5l, 10l, and 20l barrels for $300, $400, $550ish from St Anne's vineyards. If I drank port or muscat on anything other than a very occasional level I would consider those as firstly you get a crap load of port/muscat but could also pull some interesting flavours out of those barrels.

If there are better deals than those though I'm keen as anything to see them, haven't been able to find much in the barrel market here except cheap foil lined (useless) ones, or the rare as hens teeth used barrel on gumtree
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

$170 seems very reasonable, but as you said that will depend on quality, there is plenty of rubbish out there.
ash_from_oz
Novice

Post by ash_from_oz »

That there is. I've been sorting through all the cheaper barrels online for a while, and pretty much all the cheaper ones look cheap even in their promotional pictures, and are foil lined.

This one looks reasonable, reviews look ok too. I'll take one for the team in the next couple months and let everyone know how it goes.
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

ash_from_oz wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:21 am That there is. I've been sorting through all the cheaper barrels online for a while, and pretty much all the cheaper ones look cheap even in their promotional pictures, and are foil lined.

This one looks reasonable, reviews look ok too. I'll take one for the team in the next couple months and let everyone know how it goes.
'Food grade reinforced plastic screw in cork' according to Kegland.
is that ok for barrel ABV?
i suppose you might be able to change it if necessary.
Last edited by howie on Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
ash_from_oz
Novice

Post by ash_from_oz »

Didnt notice that but I'm sure I can replace it with natural cork I have around the place, or if I'm feeling a bit handy I have a heap of various sized oak chunks that I could shape and force in.

What sort of stopper is normally used in barrels
CopperFiend
Swill Maker

Post by CopperFiend »

I got some really decent barrels from here:

https://www.polsinelli.it/en/wooden-barrels-C32.htm

Dirt cheap refurbished american oak wine barrels. A quick pop open, scrape and rechar and I'm away. They say refurbished inside and out but I like to be sure so do it myself.
CopperFiend
Swill Maker

Post by CopperFiend »

ash_from_oz wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:10 am
Oak is normally used. Needs to be quarter sawn (you can achieve this if you buy a chunk of seasoned oak and cut it diagonally across the grain). If not, it will leak like a sieve.

Copper
ash_from_oz
Novice

Post by ash_from_oz »

CopperFiend wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:10 am
ash_from_oz wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:10 am
Oak is normally used. Needs to be quarter sawn (you can achieve this if you buy a chunk of seasoned oak and cut it diagonally across the grain). If not, it will leak like a sieve.

Copper

Thanks ill give that a go, the oak I have is dry but not seasoned. I do have some apparently JD barrel staves that should be big enough for me to shape into a stopper, I'd have to have a few goes to get a decent outcome but the barrel should be fairly static so hopefully not leaking, but I would like to ensure I don't give up too much to the angels either.
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

If you jam a piece of oak in there, then you'll probably crack the bung stave. I'd go with Poplar.
CopperFiend
Swill Maker

Post by CopperFiend »

SaltyStaves wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:59 am If you jam a piece of oak in there, then you'll probably crack the bung stave. I'd go with Poplar.
This is odd, I've never had this happen and havent heard of commercial distilleries using poplar? Is this a thing?
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

You could always use a widgetco cork too which might form to fit and not be as rigid as a wood barrel closure.

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

CopperFiend wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:26 am
SaltyStaves wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:59 am If you jam a piece of oak in there, then you'll probably crack the bung stave. I'd go with Poplar.
This is odd, I've never had this happen and havent heard of commercial distilleries using poplar? Is this a thing?
Yes. Poplar bungs are a thing. I'm currently using one in my 5 gallon cask. It swells fast and seals up tighter than a frogs ass.
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

Poplar is technically a hardwood, but its soft and pliant and will yield before the oak will.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

That’s pretty much what happened to me. I’m not sure what the stoppers I have are made out of but apparently I pounded it in too far and split the damn thing trying to get it back out. The manufacture was nice enough to send me a couple spares for free which was nice. Lesson learned and duly noted about the poplar.
-Thomas Paine
CopperFiend
Swill Maker

Post by CopperFiend »

Wow, you guys must be really hammering your bungs in. I turn all my own bungs with a handle on to allow easy twisting and removal. As long as they are made to be well fitted I never need to hammer on them, just twist them in tightly. Never had one leak.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

I put the Thor down hard the first time that’s for sure. I kept having visions of hooch all over my basement floor. The second time I was a lot gentler on her. Ever heard that Tenacious D song…?
-Thomas Paine
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

It really doesn't take much. I use a few rapps with a rubber mallet and it takes a pair of channel locks to twist it free.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

D6E2A5E3-7235-4178-BE0D-4B51F7711EE5.png
A changing of the guard. It’s been another three months. It’s time to charge this barrel with some grape brandy. I had one successful run so the charge is a little under half. I’m hoping to figure my shit out and fill the rest within the month. Thanks to all you guys for helping me and the community. Cheers! Must keep it together tonight and maintain SWMBO happiness.
-Thomas Paine
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Just pulled off about 375ml from a new oak barrel. It has been 6 months and the vanilla notes are very prevalent. Proofed down to 40% and the color is still awesome. Decent mouthfeel, not even close to over oaked IMO.
Caramel, spicy rye and smokiness are what come forward first. It’s still very young though and I’m looking forward to seeing how this will develop as I pull and fill from this new barrel. Mmmm Whiskey!
Mash bill is a varying % of the following grains.
Flaked Maize
Golden Promise Malt
Malted Rye
Peated Malt
Flaked Wheat and Oat
Safale S-05 yeast

You’re right Jonny. Whiskey Brown/Amber Nectar is definitely my favorite color as well
Attachments
DC8E74BC-C7A3-4F5E-8A9C-6846D7C11198.jpeg
-Thomas Paine