First attempt at gin

All things to do with making of gin

Moderator: Site Moderator

stever
Novice

First attempt at gin

Post by stever »

Started to gather some procure for my first attempt at Gin. I have ran two washes in different ways just to see the difference, one via my little reflux and on via my (customised) pot.
Last edited by stever on Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: First attempt at gin

Post by TwoSheds »

Looks like a good start. What are you using for a wash? Strip and spirit or one-and-done?

Most will say get as neutral as possible in your base, but I'd say whatever flavors you don't get out via clean ferment and distilling will have to play well in your gin. I've been using TFFV as a gin base and like the slight wheaty sweetness it adds.

How are you planing to make your gin? OEG is a great place to start (and possibly end!)

Good luck!

TwoSheds
The Nothing
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by The Nothing »

Nice! I like making gin, not so much as I like it, but because it's fun to play with recipes and friends seem to enjoy it...
I started with Bushman's 2gal gin and played from there

stever
Novice

Post by stever »

TwoSheds wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:54 am Looks like a good start. What are you using for a wash? Strip and spirit or one-and-done?

Most will say get as neutral as possible in your base, but I'd say whatever flavors you don't get out via clean ferment and distilling will have to play well in your gin. I've been using TFFV as a gin base and like the slight wheaty sweetness it adds.

How are you planing to make your gin? OEG is a great place to start (and possibly end!)

Good luck!

TwoSheds
Thank you for your reply,

I only did the one run with the little reflux as it produces a very clean neutral, but am doing two runs with the hybrid pot as the first was not as neutral as I would like, if it was going to be a rum or whiskey it would be good.

Both washes are a Turbo wash with dextrose, this was so I knew that the are similar starting.

Yes going to try the OEG method and recipe. It can all ways go back through the reflux if the flavours aren’t to my liking. Lol
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

You will make a lot better gin if you ditch the Turbo Yeast and follow a decent recipe from this section of the forum.
viewforum.php?f=14
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

Not to sure but in the second photo, have a look at
# rule i) :thumbup:
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
stever
Novice

Post by stever »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:11 am You will make a lot better gin if you ditch the Turbo Yeast and follow a decent recipe from this section of the forum.
viewforum.php?f=14
Thank you, next wash will not be turbo, this was more to get a start point.
Bren
Novice

Post by Bren »

So to start a gin you go with a neutral wash like a sugar wash yes?
Then start fannying around with flavours ect.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Bren wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:26 am So to start a gin you go with a neutral wash like a sugar wash yes?
Then start fannying around with flavours ect.
Well, I recommend starting with reading Odin’s EZ gin recipe in the Tried & True forum. He outlines the ratios of botanicals and how to macerate. He also outlines the collection process to net you a good product on your 1st attempt … provided you follow his guidelines.

Obviously, a clean neutral spirit is necessary to start. But how you get there can vary. It does not necessarily require starting with a sugar wash. There are many recipes in the T&T forum worth investigating.

And read all you can to get a good understanding of the processes. There are a lot of very experienced hobbyists here who can help you with questions.

Cheers.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K