Hi from central QLD coast

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Nodpharm
Novice

Hi from central QLD coast

Post by Nodpharm »

Living up on the QLD central coast. Have dreams of making a semi decent rum and some neutral spirit, mainly for a Gin base. Have a background in beer. Started with the kit and kilo and slowly migrated to partial grain. Haven’t brewed in quite some time but just starting to get back into it. Looking to move into all grain so eyeing off the 65ltr Brewzilla Gen 4 or 3. Haven’t decided yet.Which ever one I go with will also serve as a boiler for the still. Bank balance may make that decision for me.
Inherited most of my father’s distilling gear a couple of years ago. Simple boiler 35ltr(exposed element), a couple of super reflux stills, demijohns, alcometer and assorted fermenters. Also, some spirit that was made close on 23 years ago. Have very quickly found out the super reflux are not ideal for what I am chasing, and parts are an issue. I have purchased a Aliexpress reflux column. Also brought some other copper parts to extend the column and convert to a pot still as needed. Currently have 2 washes on the go, a TPW and a FFV. Don't have a dedicated fermentation fridge/heater so the low temps at the moment are slowing things down on the fermentation side. Great for beer not so great for distillation wash.
Cheers
Nodpharm
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Hi from central QLD coast

Post by Bradster68 »

Goodmorning and 🍻
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Welcome.
Dunno if it is near you but we lived in Ingham for a year about 55 years ago.
For six weeks, in the Japanese house there, my wife minded their kids
and the locum while the owners, two doctors, went on holiday.

Geoff
The Baker
Nodpharm
Novice

Post by Nodpharm »

Sorry for the late reply. Ingham is a beautiful spot but it is about 6 hours up the road.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Nodpharm wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:44 am Have very quickly found out the super reflux are not ideal for what I am chasing, and parts are an issue. I have purchased a Aliexpress reflux column.
Welcome Nodpharm.
Those old super reflux stills were about bottom of the range when it came to reflux stills......some had one marble in them as a reflux medium.
Be carefull what you buy , there is a huge amount of cheap rubbish out there to catch the unwary newbie.
Ask questions and read every new post that you can on the forum........you will learn something from almost every one of them and learn the answers to questions you didnt know you had yet.
Renhoekk
Swill Maker

Post by Renhoekk »

Welcome aboard - have you checked out the Digiboil system as an alternative to Brewzilla? Brewzilla does have some fancy settings and options, but you might find that Digiboil will do what you need for less outlay
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:40 pm
Nodpharm wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:44 am Have very quickly found out the super reflux are not ideal for what I am chasing, and parts are an issue. I have purchased a Aliexpress reflux column.
Welcome Nodpharm.
Those old super reflux stills were about bottom of the range when it came to reflux stills......some had one marble in them as a reflux medium.
Be carefull what you buy , there is a huge amount of cheap rubbish out there to catch the unwary newbie.
Ask questions and read every new post that you can on the forum........you will learn something from almost every one of them and learn the answers to questions you didnt know you had yet.
Regarding every post.
Read them all. Sometimes twice.
There are gems that only click later.
Plus you get to know the other members well.
Consider it facebook for hd
;D
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!