column length ? thinking of adding another 2 feet

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

SomeGuy1337
Novice

column length ? thinking of adding another 2 feet

Post by SomeGuy1337 »

Hello, So I just made my new mash of 50# powdered sugar, 50 lbs of corn 50 gallons of water, Or so.....

So I have a 2 ft section of 3 inch column, I want to add another 2 foot section. I own a glass/copper plate re-bubbler part. I have a 26 gallon kettle with an electric element, I am under the impression that a longer column will help the process. I have some extra money to blow and I am looking to add on to the still a temperature probe eventually. I would like to dial in the still before I go adding electronics and what not to control the element. Less work later if I have everything the way I like it now.

any advice is useful Its worth it or not worth it. Might just do it for shits and giggles I have the space and I have some go F**K your self money so might as well use it to something that makes me happy.
tjsc5f
Swill Maker

Re: column length ? thinking of adding another 2 feet

Post by tjsc5f »

Need a little more info about your still to give advice. Does your current 2ft section have any packing, and if so what kind? What type of reflux setup, if any, are you running?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

A photo of your still will help......your still description is going to confuse people.
" A glass copper plate re bubbler " is not a type of still that most people will understand......do you mean a plated column maybe?
Also you've not made a mash........nothing has been mashed.
If people don't use the right words for things here it gets very confusing very quickly.
The following links will take you to the forum Glossary's
viewtopic.php?t=58100
https://homedistiller.org/wiki/index.php/index.ph ... y:Glossary
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

I'm thinking Someguy has to mash the corn in his recipe, but the confusing part is: what is he making?
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

SomeGuy1337 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:16 pm Might just do it for shits and giggles I have the space and I have some go F**K your self money so might as well use it to something that makes me happy.
Twisted Brick wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:23 pm but the confusing part is: what is he making?
That's where I jumped ship with his statement above, not discounting the language used to describe whatever he's doing or equipment he has.. No time to waste with lack of commitment.. that statement is just as bad as the one who's still imploded..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

Myself will start with something to control the element first, something to control the voltage not temprature.

Then I will run the "glass re-bubler", if it is a plater/flute.

The trouble is one need to understand the very basics to make something worthwhile. Energy control is a good place to start.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?