New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Dannysdad
Novice

Post by Dannysdad »

Hello all,
I am a complete novice from the UK, name Mark. I've purchased a Vevor still from Amazon and am working my way through some books to try and get a handle on what I am letting myself in for!
It's only a 3 gallon still.
I've done a cleaning run with distilled water and vinegar and then an alcohol cleaning run so hopefully I am all set to go!
I found a recipe for a mash using sugar and tomato paste (or puree as it's called in the UK). That's bubbling away in my garage as I type since 9th August.
Initially I want to try a gin so will infuse into whatever this mash brings.
I want to try an Irish Whiskey for my next batch.
My first question........when I run the distillation, how much am I throwing away on approx 3gall, or more accurately 10litres? This "foreshots thing" worries me.
Hope you don't mind me asking ridiculously stupid questions as I learn.
Many thanks
Archee72
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Newbie

Post by Archee72 »

Archee72
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Archee72 »

And welcome
juana_b
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by juana_b »

Welcome!
You're entering a world where reading and re-reading is seemingly endless. Don't worry too much about the "foreshots thing", you don't want that stuff or anything near it in your product. At the bottom of the page, in required reading, is a novice guide for potstill cuts. That should make it clear as mud until you have a few runs under your belt and develop your senses. Hope this gets you going in the right direction.
Cheers.
“Awards are merely the badges of mediocrity.”
― Charles Ives