Anyone using an antique mill?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

WedgeandEdge
Novice

Anyone using an antique mill?

Post by WedgeandEdge »

I am about ready for my first mash, and in the process of getting my grain ready I borrowed a grain grinding attachment from a friend for my corn, and milled some other grains at the home brew store where I got them. Their mill wasn’t great and it seems like it sure would be handy to be able to mill my own grains. In searching, I see lots of references to Monster Mill, Barley Crusher, and Cereal Killer mills, but no one really talking about the antique cast iron mills (6” or so diameter hopper on top, and maybe a 14” wheel with a hand crank). I have an appreciation of old cast iron and wondered if anyone is using one.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: Anyone using an antique mill?

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Ive been using one for quite a while.....it works just fine...mines been modified to run on electric rather than hand cranked.
20220816_123417.jpg
You can easily make a bigger hopper like so.
20220816_123424.jpg
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I use a monster mill 2 but before that I used an antique coffee grinder. Both machines shown below.
3284A620-C28E-4DFF-BC4D-8613B41D47DF.jpeg
EC3995D8-2D35-4D38-A832-6F87BADDB15C.jpeg
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

There are old mills on ebay. I use a monster mill 2 for barley but for my corn I use the below. It was about $90 on ebay
mill.jpg
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

CS Bell model 2 MB Take off the handle and drive it with a cordless drill.
I have a Monster Mill like pictured above for small grains.
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (10.78 KiB) Viewed 1327 times
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Where the hell is Deplorable?
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
WedgeandEdge
Novice

Post by WedgeandEdge »

Thanks for the replies, good to see some old iron still earning its keep. I’ve got my eyes peeled to see what I can find.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Not sure if this link will work here or not......it does on another forum.
This was the first time I used mine, a test run using a two Liter jug of corn. The Grinder is fully adjustable so that it can grind quite a bit finer than this.
https://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go ... 3458509%2F
WedgeandEdge
Novice

Post by WedgeandEdge »

Thanks Saltbush, the video worked and it looks like your grinder had no problem chewing through that corn in no time at all.
Skipper1953
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Skipper1953 »

I've been using the grinder/mill for a few years. I have motorized it since the picture was taken. It will handle whole kernel corn quite easily and smaller grains like barley and wheat can be cracked or turned to coarse flour.
0609141824a.jpg
0609141823b.jpg
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

[quote=Stonecutter post_id=7721475 time=1660622819 user_id=84280]
Where the hell is Deplorable?
[/quote]

You rang? :D
[attachment=0]20210730_184730.jpg[/attachment]
I been busier than a 3 legged cat digging a crap hole in ball bearings.
Attachments
20210730_184730.jpg
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
WedgeandEdge
Novice

Post by WedgeandEdge »

Those are exactly what I am hoping to find. Saw one in antique store for $200, but am hoping I can grab one closer to $100 if I am patient. I really smiled on the bicycle powered one - Q: “Are you going to the gym?” A: “Nope, it’s leg day at home. Gonna Thrash and Mash”.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I found mine in a dilapidated shed on property a friend bought. I gave $50 for it and had to completely strip it and rebuild it. I'm in it about $85. Eventually, I'll convert it to electric and put a larger hopper on it.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Deplorable wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:26 pm I found mine in a dilapidated shed on property a friend bought. I gave $50 for it and had to completely strip it and rebuild it. I'm in it about $85. Eventually, I'll convert it to electric and put a larger hopper on it.
Finally! :wink:
That mill is badass Deplorable! Top notch restore! It really is a testament to a level of craftsmanship that’s been lost to the vast majority of, at least, the American society. My dinky little grinder from Amazon is a joke.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Bee
Swill Maker

Post by Bee »

Are the Corona mills just as good?
Chucker
Swill Maker

Post by Chucker »

I think I’d take an old timey one over my corona any day. The Corona works well enough but it’s a pretty crude casting. It does what it needs to do but that’s about it.
I motorized mine but being entirely cast the adaptation to the shaft wasn’t especially easy. I usually run corn in 3 passes to get it fine enough without binding.
A friend picked up one like that CS Bell pictured above. He’s working getting it mounted to a reducer. Nice to see that someone has had some success with one of these. He hasn’t tried actually running any grain through it yet.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Chucker wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:06 am I think I’d take an old timey one over my corona any day. The Corona works well enough but it’s a pretty crude casting. It does what it needs to do but that’s about it.
I motorized mine but being entirely cast the adaptation to the shaft wasn’t especially easy. I usually run corn in 3 passes to get it fine enough without binding.
A friend picked up one like that CS Bell pictured above. He’s working getting it mounted to a reducer. Nice to see that someone has had some success with one of these. He hasn’t tried actually running any grain through it yet.
Mine (also a CS Bell #2) was in a pretty sad state when I rescued it. It took some considerable soaking in vinegar and scrubbing with a wire brush to get the rust off the burr cones.
I also had to find someone to weld a couple of things that were broken. The cover plate and the crank wheel both needed repairs.
Then a few passes of popcorn, and rice to clean it before I ran any feed corn through it for mashing.
I've set the gap to get a decent grind on a single pass, then it goes through the roller mill.
Rather than modify the original shaft to accept a drill or electric motor, I'd like to just find someone to mill me another shaft.
Chucker
Swill Maker

Post by Chucker »

I rescued a reducer assembly from something else to help out. I should be able modify its connection to slip over the existing shaft and secure with a setscrew. No mod to the grinder needed.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Love the photos of some of these old beauty’s.