From brewing to distilling

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

jpsobral
Novice

From brewing to distilling

Post by jpsobral »

Hi everyone,

Long time brewer of beer and cider but now a newbie on distilling world. I have a vevor 30L with their “column” to try it out and make something of it. I am yet to do the first distill. If I really enjoy it them I definitely will upgrade to a T500.

But I am already brewing some pear wine :D (1.072 specific gravity for a nice brandy)

Any how nice to meet you all!!
juana_b
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: From brewing to distilling

Post by juana_b »

Welcome jp
This journey is pretty consuming...
“Awards are merely the badges of mediocrity.”
― Charles Ives
GrumbleStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrumbleStill »

Welcome jp, this is a great place to learn.

Any chance your “column” is this one?
2AC81866-E95E-486D-B777-E4A0B049905D.jpeg

If so, you bought the same thing I did. The bad news is that it isn’t a column, and can’t do reflux, well not without a lot more equipment anyhow. Properly described, it’s a Riser for a pot still, with a Graham Condenser attached. It’s designed to do flavoured spirts, which with enough attention to detail, care and patience, it can do ok…ish. That’s a completely different job to a T500, which is designed to do neutral.

One bit of safety advice, the ID of the condenser coil is pretty small, and I reckon has the potential to block up if any foreign material/contamination managed to get up the riser. I put a copper scrubby in the base of riser to stop anything getting up there. Also helps clean up the distillate.

Cheers, have fun, and be safe. This is an awesome hobby :thumbup:
jpsobral
Novice

Post by jpsobral »

Hi,

I have this "column" but like you said this is a pot still and not a column still (can't expect much from a cheap one). I want to do brandy and whiskey with upbringing flavour from the mash so I guess this will do for the beginning of the journey. I filled this "column" with a lot of copper mesh and bought a ceramic electric heater of 2200w, I could go 3500w because I have 16Amp/220v on my kitchen but the cost of such a heater, I prefer to put it at the end on a better distill equipment.

I am actually about to mash 2pale row grain have a 20kg bag layering around. I started a low carb diet - meaning no beer but all good with rum, brandy etc in moderation :roll: :ebiggrin:

Nice to meet you all!
Renhoekk
Swill Maker

Post by Renhoekk »

Sounds like you have a decent, inexpensive setup for you to explore the hobby. Some people bash the Chinese stills, but they work just fine as a basic pot still. Your Vevor “football” will pump out whisky and brandy all day long. You can even make an okay imitation of a “vodka” if you start with a clean, neutral ferment.

No doubt this will be your gateway still, and it’s only a matter of time before you want more capacity and more power!
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Renhoekk wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:03 am Some people bash the Chinese stills, but they work just fine as a basic pot still.
I helped a person , new to this hobby set up one of those Vevor stills once.......then I tried to show them how to use it..............to put it bluntly it was a pile of shit......they should NOT be allowed to be sold.
Its easy to say they " work just fine" if you have no experience with better quality stills that work as they should.
Cheap poorly built stills like the one I experienced can/ will give bad results and can be dangerous........none of those things enhance the reputation of this hobby.
jpsobral
Novice

Post by jpsobral »

Hi,

I understand. Actually I saw a youtuber, George, maybe some of you know: - “trying the Chinese distill “ and this particular model worked ok. But I do get security wise I will triple check the connections and hoses for leaks. Like I said if I get the taste of it , i will transition to something else in a future.

Thanks!
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

jpsobral wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:16 am Actually I saw a youtuber, George, maybe some of you know:
Duck. Run from the room. And go an re-read the "rules we live by" before posting again! :wink:
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers