A bit of down time ahead

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

NorthWoodsAb
Swill Maker

A bit of down time ahead

Post by NorthWoodsAb »

Going to be laid up here for a few months. Riding home from work Wed evening a deer shot out of the ditch from the right ditch and my R1200RT and I hit her directly in the shoulder at approx 110kmh. What happened next is a little fuzzy, not sure if bike endoed or highsided but either way I got slammed to the pavement on my back, the bike bounced away and continued down the road on it's wheels and rode off into the right ditch 150 meters from where I stopped sliding. I was able to get up and walk off the road with my tail trunk, saddle bags and a debris field of plastic parts scattered for 30-40m behind me. Found out quickly my right arm was of no use to me but otherwise all right. 3 fractures in right shoulder blade, cracked collar bone and multiple rt side rib fractures. Heavy bruise on rt hip but no pelvic fractures, contusion in rt lung. Chin bar and visor of my helmet were ground down pretty good. When medics cut my jacket off they were amazed I didn't have a scratch on me and the back pad and other Armour in the textile jacket absorbed the bulk of impact. My gear saved my life. They kept me in hospital for 2 days to monitor my lungs and make sure a rib didn't puncture it. Surprisingly none of the injuries are all that painful. Mighty uncomfortable but not really painful. I've definitely had more painful injuries.
My beloved RT is complete right off, deer didn't make it either pretty near cut it in two.
So I'm looking at surgery prob this upcoming week when swelling goes down and 12 to 16 week recovery. All this time off ahead and I won't be able to stir anything or move water around to mash. Could be worse I suppose.
Cheers
Oms
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: A bit of down time ahead

Post by NormandieStill »

Shit. That's unfortunate. Did you at least get to keep the deer for venison stew to keep your spirits up while recovering?

Good luck. I hope for your sake that you've got painkillers available for when the adrenaline high wears off. :wink:
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
NorthWoodsAb
Swill Maker

Post by NorthWoodsAb »

NormandieStill wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:17 am Shit. That's unfortunate. Did you at least get to keep the deer for venison stew to keep your spirits up while recovering?

Good luck. I hope for your sake that you've got painkillers available for when the adrenaline high wears off. :wink:
No didn't bag any venison, by the time they let me out bambi had been sun baking for 2 days. Let the ravens and coyotes have her.
Yes good stock of pain meds, anti-inflamitories and muscle relaxers.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Thinking of you.
Hang in there.

Geoff
The Baker
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Crap. I know the feeling.

I laid my V-twin down to avoid hitting a car that stopped suddenly in front of me. Eight broken ribs, a fractured clavicle (collarbone), and a punctured lung earned me a helicopter ride to the emergency room. I was hospitalized 8 days until they removed the tube stuck into my lung pleura. That tube was the most pain I’ve ever felt when the ER doctor inserted it. It was as big (diameter) as my little finger.

Inspirometer re-inflation of the lung took several days as the blood was drained from the pleura, and to this day I have not regained full capacity in that lung. The accident was almost 5 years ago now. But the bike is fixed and I can ride once again.

Glad you didn’t have a puncture. With fractured ribs, you’re lucky you just got bruised. The puncture is much more painful and invasive. But I know the broken ribs are quite painful too. And the doctors don’t do much to repair them besides giving you pain medication. Your lungs and the rest of your organs will “push” the ribs back to position so they can heal (with time). No heavy lifting for you for a while I’m sure.

Get well. This hobby will wait for you.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
NorthWoodsAb
Swill Maker

Post by NorthWoodsAb »

SS that does sound nasty. Real happy I didn't have the lung complications.
Cheers
Oms
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Terrible incident indeed Northwoods, fortunately no broken extremities. A great endorsement for proper riding gear.

Pulling for your speedy recovery.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
NorthWoodsAb
Swill Maker

Post by NorthWoodsAb »

Twisted Brick wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:26 am Terrible incident indeed Northwoods, fortunately no broken extremities. A great endorsement for proper riding gear.

Pulling for your speedy recovery.
Thanks TB. The medic told me I was her 4th motorcycle crash is past 2 weeks, expected living hamburger as the others were. When they cut my gear off she praised the material for taking all the abrasive abuse and the armor for absorbing the majority of the impact force. It's all garbage now but will be replaced when I'm fit to ride again. Thank goodness for a good group insurance plan. It kicked in immediately to cover my wages over the next few months.
Oms
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

You are very lucky for an unlucky man and being well prepared was a good plan. Is the bike well covered also?

I hope healing goes well and quickly.
be water my friend
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Get better Northwoods!
Sneak yourself some medicinal spirit to ease the pain. That good ole MountainDew :ewink:
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
NorthWoodsAb
Swill Maker

Post by NorthWoodsAb »

cob wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:53 am You are very lucky for an unlucky man and being well prepared was a good plan. Is the bike well covered also?

I hope healing goes well and quickly.
Cob know I got off lucky. Fully insured. They hauled it away on Friday don't know payout will go yet. Will see. Long wknd here this wknd so don't expect to hear any more till Tues.
NorthWoodsAb
Swill Maker

Post by NorthWoodsAb »

Stonecutter wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:19 pm Get better Northwoods!
Sneak yourself some medicinal spirit to ease the pain. That good ole MountainDew :ewink:
That is always an option but I don't usually drink anything when healing up..
Thx for friendly advice though.
Cheers
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Shit happen on occasion, we have yet to fully understand why, but that not what important, what important is you're still with the us, and will mend as time move forward and become just a passing memory of life's jouney..

Been there, but it was a long time ago (50 yrs ago not with bikes but with snowmobile racing a few times) but not to the extent you experienced..

Best in your recovery both mentally and physically..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

:sarcasm:
NorthWoodsAb wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:44 pm
Stonecutter wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:19 pm Get better Northwoods!
That is always an option but I don't usually drink anything when healing up..
Thx for friendly advice though.
Cheers
Just trying to provide a couple laughs for ya. Figured laughter is just as important to healing up than anything else.

I’m glad you made it in one piece my friend.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Wow! Glad you’re telling the story Oms and on the mend. Your gremlin bell was watching out for you and you were well outfitted if that’s not a thing for you.

Ride safe!

Cheers,
jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

damn. hope you mend up quickly!

I been (un)lucky a time of two on bikes myself, but managed to come away relatively unscathed. Actually hit a big dog in basically the same circumstance, endo'd the bike...like i had a choice in the matter.... took a good beating, slid into the ditch backwards and the helmet filled with dirt, i couldn't see, couldn't breathe my first thought was "so this is what it's like to be dead"....then the pain set in.
A lady pulls up, looking all wide-eyed at my totaled and twisted bike, shredded clothes and says "did you just have a motorcycle accident?" I sez, "no Ma'am" pointing up at the sky and said "sky diving"....she actually leaned out her window and looked at the sky i was pointing at.

Glad we're still talking to ya, and not about ya.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Sorry to hear about your accident and hope you heal quickly.
Broken bones suck, especial broken ribs.
Get copies of the xrays, your grand kids might want them for show and tell. :lol:
NorthWoodsAb
Swill Maker

Post by NorthWoodsAb »

Jonny' funny thing the gremlin bell didn't make it, wife gave it to me about 4 years ago. Not on the bike at compound and she couldnt find it at crash site. Guess that was the sacrifice. It was there when I checked tire pressures that afternoon.0

HDNB "sky diving" 🤣🤣🤣 here's your sign.

Stonecutter all good buddy.

Shady xray good idea, not sure if I can get that or not.

Mars, yup if we leave life without a few scars, we've missed a good portion of the ride.
Thanks guys.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

NorthWoodsAb wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:03 pm Jonny' funny thing the gremlin bell didn't make it, wife gave it to me about 4 years ago. Not on the bike at compound and she couldnt find it at crash site. Guess that was the sacrifice. It was there when I checked tire pressures that afternoon.0
I guess it met ‘em on the road and sent them packing!

You’ll need another :) I’m ordering a few to keep in my roll in case I ever cross paths with anyone might need one :)

Cheers,
j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Hope you heal up quick Northwood, The one and only time i hit the road hard cost me 22 broken bones.......kinda know how your feeling.
Funny thing is I also missed out on loosing much skin.....one small bit the size of a aussie 10c piece.
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Prayers for quick recovery. I expect a lot of us have been there. My PT doc when I was recovering said she sees a lot of bikers, regular like. I was lucky that mine was low speed but no bike crash is a good one.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dunluce »

Northwoods, glad to hear your okay, or as okay as can be. Had a compression fracture last December and I'm only getting back to being able to lift water weight again, so I can relate. Take it easy, and let the body heal ... You'll have no choice really.

If you feel like it, send me a PM of where your located....I wonder how far away we are from each other (Heritage Day weekend for me as well)
NorthWoodsAb
Swill Maker

Post by NorthWoodsAb »

Jonny's good stuff on the bells, I keep a couple in my car.

Saltbush.. 22bones in 1 wreck?? That is Evil Kenevil shit right there.

Yonder thanks for good wishes. Have 2 low speed myself over the years without any serious injury. I consider myself very fortunate on this one given the speed and circumstances.

Dunluce we're 4- 4.5 hrs apart . Check back on PM's. We are at different lakes.

Cheers guys
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Sounds painful. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dancing4dan »

That's rough. Get well soon! Hope you are back on a bike next summer.
"What harms us is to persist in self deceit and ignorance"
Marcus Aurelius
I’m not an alcoholic! I’m a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings!
NorthWoodsAb
Swill Maker

Post by NorthWoodsAb »

Uncle Jesse, thanks, not as painful as I thought it would be, uncomfortable and awkward.

D4D thanks, shopping already for replacement, still have the Harley if everything heals quickly.

Cheers
Photoguy-70
Novice

Post by Photoguy-70 »

Wishing you a fast recovery. Been there done that. Thow some were on a race track. Did not make me any smarter lol.
NorthWoodsAb
Swill Maker

Post by NorthWoodsAb »

Just thought I'd give an update. It's been 10-11 weeks since getting busted up. There was real concern that I may never get much function back in my shoulder due to the nature of fractures. I did exactly what my surgeon instructed, this time. Kept my arm immobilized for 8 weeks . We knew 2 weeks after surgery that everything was where it should be and it was imperative I do nothing to re-injure it. First 5 weeks was easy, I lived in by lazyboy chair semisitting while my ribs healed. Got the go ahead from surgeon 2 weeks ago to start exercising and start rehab.
3 weeks ago I was going stircrazy, a good buddy came up to visit for wknd, got him to help me with a couple of chores I needed to get done. Then asked him if he wanted to make some rum. He handled the stirring and lifting for me and we set a batch. He had never made beer or spirits, was quite happy to see how it's done and how simple it really is. Was great Bro time. I was able to get wash into still solo and spent a Sunday in the lab running it off. Felt so good.
My chiropractor, who I trust more than any other medical professional and my physio guy think I'm going to make nearly 100% recovery. Have 3 months physio ahead but that's cool.
I also have supplies in lab for 2 more batches of rum and a 100L batch of HBB that I'll get going Sunday or Monday.
I've been living vicariously through you guys since July and prob would have lost my marbles without the distraction.
Thank you all.
Cheers
Oms
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Thats great news, NorthWoods. The body is an amazing piece of 'machinery', and altho a bit slow at times its ability to heal itself is a miracle indeed. I see pain-free blue skies with a satisfying drink in hand ahead for you.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Great news NorthWoods..

As TB stated, the body has amazing healing abilities in all matters, we just need to give it the time to do so.. wild animal know more than we do when it comes time to healing an injury, they just lay low, and don't eat much.. we on the other hand, do the opposite..

Continue on the rehab and don't over do anything..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein