Green build up

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Shark
Novice

Green build up

Post by Shark »

I built new reflux still. Ran water then vinegar solution. Then I left it for a few weeks while fermenting. Checked still and I have green stuff all up inside copper. Pulled copper scrubbers out and they are totally covered in the green powder. Can I run water to clean this up or what to do before using for product?
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Green build up

Post by Stonecutter »

Did you rinse out your still after the vinegar run?
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
witch
Novice

Post by witch »

Try good wash with washing up liquid and soak in citric acid and good wash after.
Live today hope for tomorrow
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Stonecutter wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:32 pm Did you rinse out your still after the vinegar run?
If you didn’t ,that will do it every time .
witch wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:17 pm Try good wash with washing up liquid and soak in citric acid and good wash after.
And rinse immediately after in water .

In severe cases , the Copper Acetate will have to be aggressively removed . I Stainless steel pot scrubber on a stick will usually get rid of it .
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Shark wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:54 am I built new reflux still. Ran water then vinegar solution. Then I left it for a few weeks while fermenting. Checked still and I have green stuff all up inside copper. Pulled copper scrubbers out and they are totally covered in the green powder. Can I run water to clean this up or what to do before using for product?
I'd do a fast vinegar run, then rinse the column with water. Figure out how to back flush the still after use by connecting the outlet end of the PC to a garden hose and leaving the boiler drain open. :ewink: