Help please

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

lance
Novice

Help please

Post by lance »

Hi will have to post this again other one got lost in upgrade did a striping run of corn flake and rye came out clear but after 24hrs looks like tiny bits of tissue paper floating around some are floating on top with some sunk to the bottom what happened is it still alright ??????
hawkwing
Swill Maker

Re: Help please

Post by hawkwing »

That’s normal. Happens when I make bourbon. The spirit run will clean that up.
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

Sounds like oils from the corn. If you don't like the sight of it in your stripping runs, run your distillate through a funnel with a coffee filter in it. Otherwise, what hawkwing said, it'll get pulled out in the spirit run.
lance
Novice

Post by lance »

thanks was a bit worried
Skipper1953
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Skipper1953 »

Sounds like just a tiny bit of puking to me. Probably a bit of the material at the protein break.
Renhoekk
Swill Maker

Post by Renhoekk »

Nothing to worry about - it’s just some of the oily higher alcohols floating on top. Strip runs finish at a lower ABV, and the higher water content is usually enough to stop the oils from mixing properly in the low wines solution. Things can look a bit murky or oily sometimes, if you leave it sit long enough for the oils to drop out of suspension. Your sprit run, however, will be crystal clear.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

likely what you are seeing are plant lipids. (fat) they have a hydrophobic side and hydrophilic side. when you have enough of them, when you increase the water content, they all attempt to point their hydrophobic noses away from the water and clump up to look like floating snow.
corn is especially oily.
the solution is outlined in the previous posts, just collect the low wines, ignore the narstyness of it and when you do a spirit run, voila, clean moonshine.
not to say you won't get fats through the final run, thats why it;s important to collect in separate vessels, in increments that you can blend...you can test a sample by diluting it below 44% abv to see if the fats appear. also chilling to refrigerator temps will expose them too.

you may note that fat usually has a smooth mouthfeel, and often fat tastes good. you can use that info however you see fit. it's your booze.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.