Is your ice worthy?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bunny
Site Donor
Site Donor

Is your ice worthy?

Post by bunny »

For me, most of the time this ice seen below is perfectly fine:
P1050374.JPG
Sometimes, to be special, I use somewhat irregularly shaped "Angel Ice" as seen below:
P1050373.JPG
You can use whatever you like, but, ask yourself: Is it worthy of your hard work?
Attachments
P1050370.JPG
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Is your ice worthy?

Post by 8Ball »

What ice?
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
BlueSasquatch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BlueSasquatch »

8Ball wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:02 amWhat ice?
Yup, way back in the early days, a cube or two was nice. I've got whiskey sphere molds. But then I transitioned into just leaving the bottle in the freezer and drinking it neat. Now Its always just room-temp and neat. I don't like watery spirits.

That being said, the more clear the ice, the better the presentation, I'm sure it has some affect on taste, but probably not noticeable after you've gone and drank a whole glass. Distilled Water is supposed to set up near crystal clear.
"In the silence of the study one can discuss theories, but only in practice one becomes an artist" - Meunier
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I was in Tokyo @ The Sky Bar and they used these huge cylindrical chunks of ice swirled in vodka/vermouth in a tall skinny cylindrical beaker to make their martini's... I enjoyed it and have been meaning to setup for that at home but never did... Yet anyway!

Cheers,
jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I have different type of ice cube trays that make shapes of animals and another that makes very big ice cubes that I can only use in wide glasses.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

bunny wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:07 am You can use whatever you like, but, ask yourself: Is it worthy of your hard work?

Your question made me wonder, how clear ice is intentionally made; because I've never known. It did not take long to find an answer though.

And the answer is not found in the purity of the water used, although that can help. Clear ice is usually produced intentionally - by directional freezing.

A video to illustrate.
Omnia mea mecum porto
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by JellybeanCorncob »

I like ice.
It’s very nice.
JBC
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

contrahead wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:02 am
bunny wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:07 am You can use whatever you like, but, ask yourself: Is it worthy of your hard work?

Your question made me wonder, how clear ice is intentionally made; because I've never known. It did not take long to find an answer though.

And the answer is not found in the purity of the water used, although that can help. Clear ice is usually produced intentionally - by directional freezing.

A video to illustrate.
Very interesting, frankly I have never considered the appearance of the ice
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Mine is often worthy for the drink it's intended for.

Clear ice cubes for whiskey.
Blue butterfly pea blossom and various, in season, fruit juices for G&Ts and cocktails.

Most of my ice is presented as balls because I'm retired and have the time to go to the trouble and just because I can.
I would love to be able to make clear ice balls and I know it can be done, but I'm a cheapskate and haven't found a cheap/easy method ... yet.
If anyone knows how, you are welcome to post it here.
bunny
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bunny »

NZChris wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:39 pm Mine is often worthy for the drink it's intended for.

Clear ice cubes for whiskey.
Blue butterfly pea blossom and various, in season, fruit juices for G&Ts and cocktails.

Most of my ice is presented as balls because I'm retired and have the time to go to the trouble and just because I can.
I would love to be able to make clear ice balls and I know it can be done, but I'm a cheapskate and haven't found a cheap/easy method ... yet.
If anyone knows how, you are welcome to post it here.
contrahead wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:02 am

A video to illustrate.
This is a great video^^^^
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

A real "He Man" don't need ice. They drink moonshine straight up at room temp and chase it with gasps of air, while trying to catch their breath. :lol:
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

shadylane wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:04 pm A real "He Man" don't need ice. They drink moonshine straight up at room temp and chase it with gasps of air, while trying to catch their breath. :lol:
Funny. You know that sounds right out of the Facebook Idiots Guide To Moonshine. Drink exceptionally high ABV alcohol, whose only taste comes from heads. :roll: (No Shady, I ain’t pokin’ you, just making fun of the faceboogers).
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

That sounds particularly bad when the "Facebook Idiots Guide To Moonshine" has been quoting me. :oops:
Anyway, be forewarned and poke me at your own risk. I'm often full of flammable gas and crap. :lol:
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

My first attempt at a clear ice ball is looking very clear, but it's probably too early to open the mold yet. :thumbup:

I don't think I'll be pouring my favorite white dog corn likker on it, Shady. :D
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Whiskey in my house is served neat, at room temperature.
In the rare occasion any more that I have a mixed drink, it's just plain ol' ice from the ice maker in the fridge. Or maybe an ice ball in an Old Fashioned.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.