New to distilling, New system

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Beerice
Novice

New to distilling, New system

Post by Beerice »

I'm using a brewers edge mash and boil as my boiler with a pot still conversion lid.
20210613_104910.jpg
I am currently running my sacrificial sugar wash run to clean it. My system throttles the heating element on and off. Heats to target temp, slowly drops about 4-5 degrees, then turns back on. The problem is that I only get and spirit runoff on my condenser when the heating element is on, and the system will only ever stay constantly on if it set to a boil (215). My run off is coming out at 40 proof.

For future use am I just going to have to set it under water boiling point and just have it collect in those small windows where the heating element is on? Or just run multiple runs to reduce water content and bring up abv?
Corn Cracker
Swill Maker

Re: New to distilling, New system

Post by Corn Cracker »

You mentioned target temp but didn't mention what it was, are there settings in between target temp and boil? I would think you need to adjust the temp somewhere in between
"To ease the pressures of this world here's the way i got it figured, the thing to do for me and you is to drink lots of good corn liquor"
Buck Owens
Beerice
Novice

Post by Beerice »

By target temp i mean what you set system to. Say I set it to 205, it'll raise to 205 shut off then drop down to 200 or so before turning back on.
Corn Cracker
Swill Maker

Post by Corn Cracker »

I was asking the actual temp of the target temp. Can you increase in increments? Set it just under boil about 205ish
"To ease the pressures of this world here's the way i got it figured, the thing to do for me and you is to drink lots of good corn liquor"
Buck Owens
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Because the boiling point of an alcohol water mixture rises as the abv drops, you need to be able to control the rate of the boil to get a steady stream, not control the temperature. Get a power controller.
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Yup, wrong tool for the job. For stripping runs set it at its highest setting and just run. For a spirit run it's only going to work well if you can control power and ignore the PID function.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Nobody has mentioned the silicone tubing off the liebig? Ya'll are slippin.
OP, do your self a favor and lose the plastic tube on the spout. High ABV spirits you wish to consume, should never come in contact with plastics.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Sulaiman
Novice

Post by Sulaiman »

Also, hot ethanol will react with the aluminium collection pot.
Not a rapid reaction, but I try to minimise my aluminium intake.
HoverMc
Novice

Post by HoverMc »

NZChris wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:13 pm Because the boiling point of an alcohol water mixture rises as the abv drops, you need to be able to control the rate of the boil to get a steady stream, not control the temperature. Get a power controller.
I'm looking for that exactly, do you have a suggestion where I might find one or build one for this unit.
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

HoverMc wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:57 am
I'm looking for that exactly, do you have a suggestion where I might find one or build one for this unit.

Related Electric Accessories

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Yeah that electric boiler isn't of any practical use for distilling. As mentioned previously, all you can really use it for is stripping runs. Set it for 210F for instance and let her rip. Now if you can gain access to the heating element power terminals, you should be able to bypass the built in thermostat and use a variable power controller instead.
HoverMc
Novice

Post by HoverMc »

Thank you
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

HoverMc wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:18 amThank you
this is one of the units some people use............
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/33445162361 ... R5LG9Y3YYA
i have re-wired my elements on a similar all-in-one unit like yours.
some people just plug the all-in-one straight into the power controller.
i believe that sometimes the boiler will shut off sometimes if you reduce the power too much, yours may be ok.
this thread talks about using power controllers on a similar unit to yours...
viewtopic.php?t=80204&hilit=brewzilla