Heat control

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Acidgut
Novice

Heat control

Post by Acidgut »

Im close to doing my first run using a heating element. The last 5 years I've been using gas.
Im using a 3600w element in a 50 liter keg with a voltage regulator.
Using gas (with my column still) when it gets up to tem i adjust the flame and it responds instantly.
With a element, once up to temp does it respond quickly when i turn the voltage down.
Also with a 3600w element would i drop the volts down roughly 50% once up to temp.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Re: Heat control

Post by Salt Must Flow »

The amount of power depends on whether you are doing a stripping run with a pot still, the type of rig you're using and there's much info needed to answer that question. Start from the beginning, a pic of the still or at least a description of what you're intend to make would help.
Last edited by Salt Must Flow on Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Acidgut
Novice

Post by Acidgut »

Its a 2" reflux still, 4' column.
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

Acidgut wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:49 pm Its a 2" reflux still, 4' column.
bubble caps? Perforated Plates? Boka? CM? VM? LM? CCVM?
Really break it down. Minute details make a big difference when it comes to getting advice.

If you can, post pics.
Acidgut
Novice

Post by Acidgut »

Mine is a exact copy of this.
Attachments
matt_stillcomplete.jpg
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I don't understand what you are asking ... do you want advice on how to conduct an electrical element?
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

In my experience the response is quicker than propane or natural gas. As far as how much you'll need to adjust it, you're going to have to find the sweet spot for each run as washes and recipes will vary even between batches so your power requirements may be slightly different each run.
Acidgut
Novice

Post by Acidgut »

bcook608 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:49 pm In my experience the response is quicker than propane or natural gas. As far as how much you'll need to adjust it, you're going to have to find the sweet spot for each run as washes and recipes will vary even between batches so your power requirements may be slightly different each run.
Exactly what i wanted. Thank you
Skipper1953
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Skipper1953 »

You're going to need to fiddle with the knob to figure out how much power you need to put into the element, just like you did with your gas burner. As bcook608 pointed out, the response with a heating element will be quicker than with a gas burner. Be sure to use an element with the lowest watt density you can find.
Determining the amperage at a particular setting of your regulator will be useful when trying to determine where to set it.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Acidgut wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:28 pm Mine is a exact copy of this.
When I first started distilling, I didn't really know where to set the power either. I started at 25% power for instance, stabilized the column, took fourshots very very slow (3 drops per second) and took heads a little faster. Once I knew I was into hearts I started stepping up the power, stabilized the column then started stepping up the takeoff rate while checking % ABV while recording all notes. Once I saw a tiny drop in ABV I knew that was too fast at that power. Step up the power and repeat. Before long you'll see where your sweet spot is (power and takeoff rate). Remember while testing your column like this, you can always pour product back down through the top of the column, stabilize and continue testing. You can't screw up a spirit run.

What I outlined is just a generalization, something I did, not definitive instructions. I currently run hearts at 50% power and approx 3.2 LPH takeoff using my 3" VM with 6' column using 3-4 rolls of copper mesh and Lava Rock packing. I don't think your 2" column would be able to run with these parameters. Packing type alone is a big variable.

I don't recall ever seeing a topic dedicated to still types, column dimensions, packing used, power and takeoff rate. I've seen people state their parameters, but it would be really cool if there were a dedicated topic for people to easily find and be able to have an idea of what approximate parameters have been proven appropriate.