Finally ready to jump in

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Imwhiskeyd
Novice

Finally ready to jump in

Post by Imwhiskeyd »

I'm glad to finally join, I have been snooping around for a while but i'm now in a position to actually start distilling for myself (and i got the wife's approval). I'm still collecting bits and pieces and hopefully i'll be running soon. No eye blood yet but lots of good info to read. Thanks for having me.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Re: Finally ready to jump in

Post by Yummyrum »

:shock: What…. No eye blood yet . :ebiggrin:

Welcome .
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Welcome aboard
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

No eye blood…. Sounds like you have more reading ahead! That said, in the words of Nike —- just do it. I learned more on my first run, than in the reading I had done prior to it. Made it all come together and helped me understand what questions I really had. Welcome and enjoy the journey!
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.

That’s it. No more reading!
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Welcome.
Assuming from your screen name you're seeking to make whiskey. Have you settled on a still yet? Building your own or buying? Copper or SS?
How much do you plan to consume? How much working space do you have? What's your cooling water source?
Be careful and consider all of the above before you spend your hard taxed earnings. It will save you a lot of cash and headaches later. Keep it modular and it will grow with you through the years ahead.
All that being said, steer clear of them Vevor "stills" sold on amazon. Also, consider that you're only going to keep about 8-10% of what you ferment, so if you think you're going to be fermenting in 5 gallon buckets and making enough to fill barrels for aging, think again.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

And welcome from me.

Remember you can use any number of 5 gal buckets together instead of buying a big fermenter.
Just might save you spending, if you already have some of them.

Geoff
The Baker
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Welcome to HD. :wave:

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels