Cull the wiki?

Discussions pertaining to the homedistiller wiki.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Berserk
Bootlegger

Cull the wiki?

Post by Berserk »

Hello,

I realized we have a wiki like a month ago and have started to reference it and link to it here and there.
It's a great knowledge resource!

I have however stumbled upon some pages that seem to be in flagrant breach of the HD material rules such as this plastilicious Bucket Still.
There's also some pages that are just redundant, such as the duplicate pages Alembic still and Alembic Still (note the capital S).

I would propose a light culling, or at the very least some disclaimers regarding safety added to the offending pages, and I'd be happy to help with it (and other general wiki stuff, just need to get my wiki account accepted :wink: )

There was also a lot of links to Georges YouTube Channel here and there in the wiki, which I feel a bit conflicted about - can we really blame newbies for listening to George and then coming here with their heads full of misinformation while simultaneously linking to him in our very own Beginners Guide? Seeing as he's not a very credible source of information I say we rid the Wiki of him, or at least the articles aimed more at newbies.
Cheers,
Berserk

He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind.
But he who sticks out in darkness is fluorescent!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Cull the wiki?

Post by NZChris »

A link calls his channel,
Great instructional videos for beginners.
Bollocks. He's nothing but trouble for newbies.
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

I'm for anyone that wants to help. I believe that Uncle Jesse is the only one that can add you as a user. Since the wiki was made the front page he was flooded with account requests that were for the forums and not really for the Wiki. As such he hasn't created a wiki account for all requests. You can probably message him so he know you actually want a wiki account.

The reason for the links to the video series is that not everyone is a book learner. They are better served by a video. There is a limited number of videos out there that cover these topics. I think adding warnings or explain the issues is fine but removing them is going to harm more than help. If you find any other videos that you feel are on topic please link them. If we end up with a bunch then we can go through and remove the lower value ones.

As for the Alembic still and Alembic Still: You can merge the two and remove one.

Just for some history: The wiki was created a long time ago. It went away for a while then UJ brought it back. UJ and several other people did a ton of work to make it better. You'll find there's a lot of really old entries that are not of great quality. Any help we can get to make things better would be greatly appreciated.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

The barly and hops needs to go asap. This needs to be fixed.
Berserk
Bootlegger

Post by Berserk »

That's great SMY! I've messaged UJ and hope to be accepted soon.

You guys have pulled a heavy load getting the wiki up and running and as good looking as it is, props to you!

I figure there's probably some videos by StillIt that can substitute the Barley and Hops videos, or maybe StillBehindTheBench. I'll see what I can find.
Cheers,
Berserk

Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Cool - if you want to coordinate for changes just post up here and we can talk them through. You don't need to unless you have questions or want opinions on something.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

I FINALLY got around to approving Beserk.

What can I say, most people (there were 70+) who apply for a wiki account really want a forum account, and don't bother to read the big warning I put up saying DON'T REQUEST A WIKI ACCOUNT IF YOU WANT THE FORUM
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
Berserk
Bootlegger

Post by Berserk »

Thank you!

I've merged some duplicate pages and fixed some dead links here and there.
I've also added pages for Liebig and Shotgun condensers as well as some basic info and common design parameters for them.

I intend to do a drive to get some of the most popular Tried and True recipes onto the wiki too, maybe with a common structure or format to the recipe pages.
Cheers,
Berserk

Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Dooh , the Bucket still is still there . How the heck did it get there in the first place ?
That's definitely something that would be in "stills not to use "
Attachments
image.jpeg
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Only UJ can delete pages. I removed all text on the page.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Thanks for the diligence.

How about we edit that page to be a regular wiki page, explaining how and why bucket stills are not recommended. I can delete the page, but I think it would be better to have an informative warning.

Also, I should look into giving full permissions to a few more folks so I'm not the only one who has full control.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

As for how that page got there, it was probably me just madly cutting and pasting things from archive.org when I had to rebuild the wiki.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

SMY I gave you admin permissions.
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

I AM DRUNK WITH POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ha thanks UJ.

I can edit the page so that it goes over to material safety and why distilling in plastic is bad idea.

My work schedule is starting to get easier so I should be able to start more time on the wiki.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Berserk, I designated you as a bureaucrat. I have no idea what this means so perhaps you can check to see if you have any expanded privileges