Small Conical MOD

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Small Conical MOD

Post by Stonecutter »

I welded on a little hook to a 4” TC plate. I’ll be able to suspend a sack of oyster shells from there and it will make removing them a lot easier.
5ED9C77D-E646-4B7C-871B-3E0D43C91A3B.jpeg
DCBAD75C-C986-424A-BA73-FC421D20C76A.jpeg
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Re: Small Conical MOD

Post by Salt Must Flow »

That's a lot more sophisticated than what I do. I tie the sack of oyster shells to an empty quart jar as a bobber keep it suspended :lol:
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

First time in a looong time that Stoney and sophisticated been put together.
Thanks Salt :)
A floating jar is actually a great idea as well.
Hopefully all those little nooks and crannies in the weld don’t become a hotbed for bacteria. Doesn’t help that my welds came out looking like birdshit. I’m going to work on grinding and polishing it all out nice and smooth in the coming days.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

A little bacteria? Hmmmm. I might just go with it for a bit and see what grows up inside the little reservoir of love and yum..

Fancy lookin kit there Stoneey!

Cheers,
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Thanks JS! Haha I’m down with the sickness :thumbup:
Last edited by Stonecutter on Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Thomas Paine
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Stonecutter wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:24 pm Maybe a MOD or someone could please flip my pictures?
Your wish had been granted Stoney .

Nice Modification too BTW :thumbup:
But I agree with Jonny , gaps between your weld tacks look like a nice place for things sneak into that little bowl and grow.Can you fill the gaps in .
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Just curious, but why did you choose to weld it rather than silver solder?
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Yeah soldering would be ideal, but you can still solder it to seal the seam :thumbup:
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Deplorable wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:40 pm Just curious, but why did you choose to weld it rather than silver solder?
Because I had a stick welder available at work and hadn’t even thought about silver solder until you enlightened me :idea: I’ve never worked with it and my knowledge about the stuff is rudimentary at best. Though, what I have seen it like like a great idea
-Thomas Paine
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Does that hook not unscrew from the magnet?
Assuming there was a magnet that you removed.
be water my friend
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Yup Cob, the hook does unscrew from the magnet. I figured a larger base would be easier to weld to. I didn’t bother removing the magnet. Am I correct in assuming that you’re eluding to just hitting the hook by itself with a small tack and calling it? If not, I may try that. The hook certainly doesn’t have to sit plumb, level and square.

SMF, I was hoping for that same solution.

The TC cap is so basic I figured that as long as I protected the groove (a few wraps of painters tape) I could grind, hack, weld and solder to my hearts content.

The pack came with like 6 magnet hooks. Damn if they ain’t strong. Too bad the SS TC cap is actually SS…. :lol:
-Thomas Paine
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

I am a drill and tap kind of guy. A blind hole came to mind.

But I have tools to do those kind of things so it's easy for me to

suggest solutions to problems that others don't have tools for.

edit; Or welding a nut to the cap.
be water my friend
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

cob wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:04 pm I am a drill and tap kind of guy. A blind hole came to mind.

Didn't realise that cup looking thing was a big O'l magnet. Make sense now .

Cob , was thinking similar . :thumbup: ....Iff'n no thread tap , Drill hole through the cap , nut each side to lock thread .
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

cob wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:04 pm I am a drill and tap kind of guy. A blind hole came to mind.

I’ve got a “T” handle tap and die set. Never attempted to tap into 1/8” SS. I’m sure just low and slow like drilling. Add a little Teflon tape to get a good seal. Everything would be removable for sanitizing. A hole is a little more permanent then some bird shit welds though. Welding a nut is basically what I’ve done. It’s just thin wall with a large flange :moresarcasm:

I could definitely through bolt it as well Yummy. But it wouldn’t look as cool :roll:

With either route I’d go with a beefier hook. Just so the threads held up for a little longer. Bigger is ALWAYS better right..
-Thomas Paine
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Of course I could always tap the magnet threads a touch bigger if I ever needed to replace the hook. A lot of work just to circumvent primal tools like a string tied to an empty mason jar :twisted:

Actually that was my main problem. I wanted a thicker gauge hook. I knew the magnets would never stick but I liked the idea of welding to a pre-made base. My feeble/frugal attempt to search amazon didn’t produce any kind of big base and hook because most people are looking for a Dog damn refer magnet not a f*ing fermentation chamber hook! Of course some wise and seasoned fellow will find said item and proceed to “share” it with this forum, thus, once again proving my own ignorance.
IMO the through bolt idea is the best K.I.S.S. I “over engineered” it a bit.
There’s a decent local nuts and bolts shop down the street….I shutter to hear the typical “now what you trying to do” question from anyone, or TBH any personal interaction in general.
“Oh I’m making beer, this is for a FER-Men-tOr”.
Nah, this is for an end of days device…. You know anything ‘bout COLD fusion buddy!?
-Thomas Paine