Huge digital library of books about distillation

Research sources, reviews and links to information relating to distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

rakijamaker
Novice

Huge digital library of books about distillation

Post by rakijamaker »

Hello my fellow distillers,

I have big library (about 100 books) about distillation - some of those recommended on the HD main page are also in there. I could upload them to a filehost but I'm not sure whether I'm allowed to post the links here. Is anyone interested?

Greetings,
rakijamaker
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Re: Huge digital library of books about distillation

Post by Salt Must Flow »

I think it would be cool. I can't imagine it would be breaking any rules.
Old Dog New Tricks
Swill Maker

Post by Old Dog New Tricks »

I love to read, "And Knowledge is Just a book away" Mrs.C my 5th grade english teacher...
Love to spend a blistery winter day, Or week, Around my fireplace with this material..
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

@rakijamaker

If the books or literature you mention are all fairly within the Public Domain, then I'd say fine, go for it.

If any of the books or literature you mention are under copyright, then I 'd suggest not doing it.

For 17 years the Author's Guild fought and finally won, a class action lawsuit against some big data companies that brazenly broke copyright law. The guild also filed a similar lawsuit against Google for completely scanning newly copyrighted books, and calling it "fair use". That lawsuit has lasted now, about 17 years too. I hope that the Author's Guild wins and that Google (or Alphabet: the multi-billion dollar corporation owner, of Google) has to pay creative writers back through a bloody nose.

If the Guild can sue big corps and win; what's to keep them from suing you, your 'filehost' or the Home Distiller website here; for intentionally violating or circumventing copyright law?
Omnia mea mecum porto
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

Dm me them plz
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
Metalking00
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Metalking00 »

I would also be very interested
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

I'm very interested as well.
If you decide to share a link, I would really like to see it.
rakijamaker
Novice

Post by rakijamaker »

You're right contrahead. I don't want to harm the forum in any form, so I'm not going to post them here.

It's good that the Author's Guild sued Google and gets now paid decently. What concerns me is that, apparently, they have already enough money to successfully sue such a huge company. I just hope, that the money goes directly to the authors and not just into their bosses pockets.

On the other hand, I'm actually happy that the internet exists in this form. Pages like Lib Gen and it's mirror Z-Lib (real website links can be found on Wikipedia/Duckduckgo/Yandex) allow people who don't have money or the access to those books to still acquire that knowledge.

You could hypothetically do it like this: You use those resources in a fair use case - like for educational purposes such as your university research - only and then, if you liked them, you buy them and support the author :D

If you're interested in a list of those books, DM me.
Saltpork
Novice

Post by Saltpork »

I'll take some of that action. Send me a link please and thank you.
It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance -- Thomas Sowell
Rest in peace R.L.K. & R.H.L., my biggest influences and men I miss dearly
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

I'd appreciate reading them
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
gurkan
Novice

Post by gurkan »

You say there are about 100 books... It will take weeks if not months to scan>correct>tidy up>upload those pages - so I really admire your diligence. If you need any help with anything, whatever it is, I would be happy to assist you in any way I can.

edit: Oh I think I may have misunderstood what you meant. You already have them digitally... That sounds like a more doable task :)
rakijamaker
Novice

Post by rakijamaker »

To everyone who's still interested in my reading list, please DM me directly and don't add another post here :)
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

rakijamaker wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:45 pm Hello my fellow distillers,

I have big library (about 100 books) about distillation - some of those recommended on the HD main page are also in there. I could upload them to a filehost but I'm not sure whether I'm allowed to post the links here. Is anyone interested?

Greetings,
rakijamaker
I'd love to add them to the Wiki and host them locally. Let me know.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
Metalking00
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Metalking00 »

Rakijamaker was kind enough to send me the link, and id like to encourage people to at lrast take a look at 2 very old german books he has. My german is poor,and i cant understand much of whats written (the vocabulary is old, and the font is hard to read. Like an old Goethe book i have) but the illustrations alone are worth a look.
rakijamaker
Novice

Post by rakijamaker »

Before I forget it: Single Malt Yinzer posted a link to a distiller's library containing books that are in the public domain a while ago.
Here's the link: https://distillerslibrary.wordpress.com/distilling/

For anyone interested, here are the books from my library that are in public domain:
https://www.swisstransfer.com/d/426dcc0 ... a2ae982459
https://www.swisstransfer.com/d/c4b384d ... c9c3b0dba8

This link also contains the two old german books. Thanks to Metalking00 who sent me a very interesting italian recipe book. I recommend to have a look at the book "John Rack - French Wine and Liquor Manufacturer". It contains a lot of recipes for faux brandys.

I'm thinking of collecting all the links posted in this section of the forum and making a nice little list out of it (for better orientation).
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Bookmarked! Thank you
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Saltpork
Novice

Post by Saltpork »

The Amazing Plastic Still is part of that link. I hope it's only there for comic relief and not intended for serious consideration.
I haven't had a chance to look at the rest of them yet.
Thanks again for sharing.
It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance -- Thomas Sowell
Rest in peace R.L.K. & R.H.L., my biggest influences and men I miss dearly