Cooling management questions

Moderator: Site Moderator

Pigtoe
Novice

Cooling management questions

Post by Pigtoe »

I'm new here and have been reading the forum and come up with no answer, if I build a 2"x3' colum full of packing without a dephleglamator is it still considered a reflux still? Will it net a higher abv than a traditional pot still with a Lyne arm or swan neck?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Cooling management questions

Post by still_stirrin »

How do you generate reflux without a reflux condenser?

A “packed riser” alone won’t create reflux. It’ll just run slower.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Use that search function. There’s also a MUST READ section in the new distillers reading lounge.

Here’s the spoon with the num nums
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Reflux and a packed column is is what creates higher ABV. Different still designs is what you need to study, how they work and technically how they differ. A dephlegmator is just one way to induce reflux.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Stonecutter wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:44 pm Use that search function. There’s also a MUST READ section in the new distillers reading lounge.

Here’s the spoon with the num nums
I understand that everyone of us has at one point been brand new to this hobby. And sometimes I’ve needed the spoon as well. Whether it’s the wooden spoon or it’s it’s silver spoon it’s always the one I needed most :wink:
I also realize some members have a hard time with computers and such. However this is an online community and the new distillers reading lounge is very easy to find. Use the link to further your inquiry.
Cheers and good luck
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Hey pigtoe
Short answer is no . It's not a reflux still .

A reflux still making a vodka would normally need about 9/10th of the vapour reaching the top to condense and fall back through the packing . A Rum or Whiskey still maybe around 2/3 or 3/4 of the vapour reaching the top condensed .

The remainder is the product that is taken off .

Without a refluxing condenser , you'd be relying on passive cooling of the column . Its very inefficient way to do it . You would need such a low heat to the boiler to balance the passive cooling , that it would be a prohibitively slow way to run .

This is why we add a reflux condenser ( in the case of a VM or LM ) or a Deflagmator in the case of a CM