UK Apple season

Discussions of fruits, veggies and grains other then just mashing

Moderator: Site Moderator

Knife_man
Site Donor
Site Donor

UK Apple season

Post by Knife_man »

I'm particularly fortunate to live within walking distance to not one but two "community orchards". One of which specifically has old out of favour varieties planted.

Yesterday was the day! after taking a fair few years off due to building work and children being born I got the grinder and press down roped the family into picking and grinding duties and made myself 20 ltrs of press pressed Apple juice destined to be cider (hard cider) 😁. And about another 5 to be drunk fresh /frozen.

It's never going to win awards but it usually comes out quite good. This year's was also the first year I took some out of storage to be distilled , hoping it ages up nice.

Anyone else over here have access to apples and make cider , or even brandy?
Stilljoy McFlavour
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: UK Apple season

Post by Stilljoy McFlavour »

I have a few apple trees that supply us with more apples then we- and our friends and relatives can eat. So my wife makes apple vinigar and I started on (hard)cider a couple of years ago. I did not particularly like it. Then I got into distilling; it was the second run I did (after sac. run) and it has been a yearly event ever since.

However, nowadays I mix two or three parts apple brandy with one part quince brandy at let it age for a couple of months on toasted apple wood. The result is an amazing drink that is infinitely better than its parts and perfect for the holiday season (the little that makes it that far) :)
Knife_man
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Knife_man »

Stilljoy McFlavour wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:16 amI started on (hard)cider a couple of years ago. I did not particularly like it.
SACRILEGE!

BURN THE INFIDEL🤣.

Are the trees eating (desert) apples? Ive always found that good eating apples seldom make good Cider. I usually try to do a tasting session a few days before and earmark any trees which have apples that turn my face inside out and try to collect more those.

Advantages of having a good choice of apples handy I guess ,
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

This tread will give you a couple of hours reading viewtopic.php?t=48881
Stilljoy McFlavour
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stilljoy McFlavour »

Cider, wine, beer; there all just unfinished products... mere ingredients for something more potent ;)

I never got into cider because the shop-cider I had tastes like sweet applejuice with a bit of alcohol and CO2 - i.e.: not very exciting. I will however, not rule out that my fermentation skills at that time were the root cause for the less then stellar result.

We have a few different apple trees here, but I was using one that is called Raspberry apple (translated). I don't know exactly what kind it is but it has a very red skin all over, and ripes very late in the season. But indeed, they are delicious to eat; fresh, sauer, juicy, sweet and crunchy so perhaps not the best ones for cider. Thanks for the tip! :)