PREPPING - Yes - No - Why !

Moderator: Site Moderator

contrahead
Trainee

Re: PREPPING - Yes - No - Why !

Post by contrahead »

The Baker wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:51 pm
What WAS it used for?
I was hoping someone would guess. It's a wagon wheel hub wrench, needed to take the wheel off so you can lube the axle.

Note: Where it says “Note: Axles are bidirectionally threaded”, too.
hammer01.jpg
cart-wagon-wheel-carriage-antique2.jpg
Omnia mea mecum porto
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

SassyFrass wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:16 am We drank UHT milk when I was stationed in Germany back in the 80s. Not the best tasting stuff, but if mixed with chocolate it was better than nothing. And the good thing was that it would stay good unrefrigerated.
SF
UHT is still huge here in France. And the process has improved since the 80s. I remember drinking it on school trips in the 90s and finding it fairly revolting, but to be honest, I can't tell the difference anymore.

I was in Rheindahlen in the early to mid 80s. My dad was stationed there.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

I have seen square hub wrenches but not that shape before.

Geoff
The Baker
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

The Baker wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:39 pm I have seen square hub wrenches but not that shape before.Geoff
Seen em got em and used em on the farm :thumbup:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Post by Honest_Liberty »

Edit: LWTCS: Noted. I want to say though, I'm disappointed in Zapata for that original sleight. Not cool. Casting aspersions on any race, just because it's currently fashionable, is still rude and shouldn't be tolerated.

Now, to the prepping:

My wife and I bought a years supply of survival food March 2020, because it became very obvious how the general population responds to crisis. I always delayed having a year supply because I wasn't a father. And then all sorts of stuff got in the way. Grains, honey, peanut butter, sugar, himalayan salt, spices, pasta, etc. I've got about 400lbs of grains. Rice and beans can for sure last 30 years easy, with the right care. Plus we have a month of freeze dried Patriot supply for immediate emergency get out of dodge.

Always wanted a chest freezer that I didn't turn into a kegerator, so I bought an 8.7 cubic ft and filled it with an 1/8 grass fed cow (tastes every bit as gamey as my mule deer and antelope). I've got over 130 lbs of vacuum sealed beef and wild game.

I have stock piled enough defensive measures to outlast any roving band of marauders, and I happen to have 5 acres and a cabin next to 150+acres BLM (the land management) and 300+ acres private land trust, with the ability and consistency to hit a 12" circle steel plate at 500 yards with my hunting rifle, 200 all day with my semi carbines.

This isn't just about fun, or hunting, but practical measures of preparedness for the sake of being prepared. Prepping is about having a skill set and being able to employ them on demand, without hesitation. Additionally, I've spent as much as a middle class man can in a reasonable fashion to outfit all my weapons in a practical manner, with great glass. It's near 100% that I will never have to engage tactically in a post apocalyptic scenario, but at least, in the off chance it does happen...I won't be caught with my pants down and they won't be able to get close enough to put my family at risk. It's a matter of strategy.

I'm more of what most folks call a conspiracy theorist, which is funny, considering I've yet to meet one person that labeled me as such who has spent even 1/500th the time actually reading history and researching. That is no exaggeration. I have consumed at least 5 hours a day of information going back 20 years. Podcasts, reading, researching, etc. My brain is non stop. Some call it unhealthy, but it works for me. I liken it to a sophomore in college trying to call out the physics professor with a doctorate over quantum physics. It's laughable, the knowledge gap.

My point is that I prep for my family, because what I'm witnessing now with the human population and it's unfortunate inability to shake mind control, is that things are absolutely going to go to a place where individual freedom is a myth. I won't stand for that on my land and I won't watch my children starve.

I can make soap from the fat from wild game, hardwood or, out here, aspen ash, and pine tar. It's anti microbial.
I can collect wild yeast and make a starter in order to ferment whatever fermentable sugars I can. I can distill water and spirits. I can smoke meats. My buddy who was a medic in Iraq is teaching us trauma and emergency life saving techniques. I process all my own game. I built my two story cabin. I can solder, plumb, and build just about anything I need to, and safely. Ten years ago I didn't give a hoot about anything but partying in Moab and sowing my oats. In that short time I've dedicated myself to making myself useful. I'm proud of that.

In a society where people are more willing to hand over their sovereignty to a planned, centralized system hellbent on creating austerity...I take pride in my stubborn dedication to the simple, self sustaining life.

This is my path, and my philosophy, in case anyone who doesn't agree may find something beneficial. I think those who scoff at being prepared are choosing a talking point provided to them by elitist liars, who prey upon the weak. I won't be that. I will otoh, do everything I can to be polite and help those who are interested, find a path to sustainability.
Last edited by Honest_Liberty on Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Sweetfeed 100 proof for drinking white
All grain bourbon for testing my patience
Whatever else is left goes to the Homefree, because, I hate waste
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Yeah, let's just ramp this down a notch or two please.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Thank you, Liberty. Good post.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Fifty or sixty years ago.
It was the hippies that were going back to nature and didn't trust the government.
Now it's folks doing the almost the same thing, but calling themselves some thing else.
It never ceases to amaze me how folks can have so much in common but pretend to be different.
What age has taught me, is don't trust folks that are angry and divisive, yet believe only they are on the right path. :wink:
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

shadylane wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:54 pm Fifty or sixty years ago.
It was the hippies that were going back to nature and didn't trust the government.
The interesting thing about that Shady is that some of those old hippys are now in their 80's.
I'm sure many youngsters give them a quick glance and think to them selves....." what the f%#*k would that old fart know"
Take the time to sit by a camp fire and talk to one of them if you ever get the chance.....they know more than you can imagine ...and many have done things most people these days can only dream of.
Pretty sure I don't need to tell you that though.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Damn Salty, I ain't quite that old.
Besides, back in the hippy days, I had a bur hair cut. :lol:
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

shadylane wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:54 pm Fifty or sixty years ago.
Now it's folks doing the almost the same thing, but calling themselves some thing else.
It never ceases to amaze me how folks can have so much in common but pretend to be different.
What age has taught me, is don't trust folks that are angry and divisive, yet believe only they are on the right path. :wink:
I WAS IN MY 20'S AND ALREADY KNEW much of what they were seeking , having learned it from my Grandparent's generation . I still share information with those who seek answere to living with the land rather than on it .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Truckinbutch wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:25 pm ]I WAS IN MY 20'S AND ALREADY KNEW much of what they were seeking , having learned it from my Grandparent's generation . I still share information with those who seek answere to living with the land rather than on it .
Like you, I was lucky enough to have extended a family to learn from.
My Big brother really liked it, he could get at least 9 meals a day, within walking distance. :lol:
River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

My answer to the thread title is yes. Not because I live in fear of any certain doomsday scenario, but because there is no guarantee that the grocery store will always have food on the shelves, there is no guarantee that the power company will provide a never ending supply of electricity for eternity, etc. I hope they do. But if not, then what? We've already seen ammo of just about any caliber dry up over the past year. I don't remember where I heard it but one of my favorite analogies is "I don't really expect to have a house fire but I keep a fire extinguisher around, and it's always loaded too."
Preppers keep good useful traditions alive too. It would be a shame if the world forgot how to be fully self sufficient. Though most of it already has.
Plain ole pot rig.
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

A big thunderstorm came up last night and knocked the power out. After a couple toilet flushes the water pressure from our well dropped out too. Without power there wasn't much else to do, other than to hit the sack.

I happened across this video this morning and decided that it was useful enough to e-mail to a friend. He's living off grid not because he chose to, but because he is only 3 miles beyond this county's line and the power company in that adjacent county wants $87,000.00 to drive power to his new property.
---------------------
changeshot002.jpg
Installing a hand operated pump to my well is a project that has been in the back of my mind for a while now. That, or better yet to drive a sand-point well in the back yard, that can be both windmill and hand pump powered. My water table is somewhere between 12' and 15' down. Locally, even far out in the desert in the middle of nowhere sometimes, you'll run across the occasional windmill. Blithely pumping out a slow trickle of clean water into a large water tank or cattle trough – that likely has a rim of thick algae and huge goldfish that grew fat from eating mosquitoes. Not everyone has the luxury of a high water table though.

A reliable source of fresh water is absolutely crucial to anyone's survival; regardless if you live in the middle of a desert or in the middle of a big city. An important consideration that often goes overlooked. It would seem wise for the survivalist or prepper, to cultivate an auxiliary source of water – one that was not totally reliant upon having commercial power to pump it. Windmills, hardware parts and even antique style hand cranked “pitcher pumps” are still to be found around these parts. Sand point well heads can be found in the local hardware store and Chinese copies of the antique hand pumps can be found at Harbor Freight stores.

The illustrations that I have seen, depicting people driving sand point well heads, have shown them standing on some sort of scaffolding - in order to drive the pipe into the ground with a sledge hammer. This guy in the following video shows a superior method. He's got some other good advice too, that could be useful to someone who has a high water table and wants to exploit it – without calling in an expensive well drilling company to do the job. From what I gather the water tables for which hand pumps are useful are only 25' and up - which is plenty far enough if you're pounding pipe into the ground. Wind mills which position their pump differently, can pull water up from greater depths (perhaps from 180' or so).

Antique Hand Pump Well, Start to Finish, at our Remote Off Grid Property

Hand Pump Well , off-grid, self-reliant water, everything you need to know
Omnia mea mecum porto
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Post by SmokyMtn »

The only thing I would be worried about is economic collapse in the US.

I prefer to practice instead of "prep". I'm developing a breeding stock of rabbits, goats, hogs, and chickens. I was brought up tending to the animals and a garden. Raising what we ate and canning what we couldn't. I'm building a smokehouse in the fall to preserve the meat without the need for jars or the freezer.

Getting a seed bank for vegetables seems more logical than stock piling Mac n cheese, and rice. Once your food runs out, you better have a Plan B. I also think relying on wild game for an extended period would be a mistake. You think there's alot of hunters in the woods now. Just wait for everyone's family to start starving.

I have a cold mountain spring for water. And of course this hobby would come in handy for bartering.

My perimeter is fenced with Anatolian Shepherds inside for patrolling. They're not very nice.

I have a plan to address marauders.

I hope it never happens. However "practicing" now, prevents surprises later.
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.
DRHillier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DRHillier »

I can answer the yes and why part, but not the no. Prepping is smart. I don't live in a flood zone, tornado zone, hurricane zone, but many of you do. I live in an earthquake zone. Any of us in the United States are falling victim to higher crime rates, rising inflation, the government taking more of our hard earned money for themselves. Anyone notice that the shelves in the grocery stores are getting a little less stocked? Toilet paper is hard to come by, hell the local Walmart has a 3 gallon limit on distilled water. I started to stockpile ammo back in 2012. My wife thought i was crazy. I've made it through 2 ammo shortages since then, including the one we are living through now. I prep so that my family can eat and drink during any shortages that may come. When the big 9.0 earthquake that we are overdue for comes, when the power goes out and stores sell out of everything, I want to survive. I have MRE, freeze dried food, water, antibiotics, medications, the ability to turn salt water from the ocean into a drinkable water source, hunt and fish. I could care less if the power goes out or my cell phone quits working. So you can call it a zombie apocalypse, hurricane, tornado, flood, earthquake, tsunami, anything can happen at any time and there's nothing wrong with being prepared. I read through some of the posts in this thread and got some new ideas. Off to the store now to buy some Irish spring.
It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong.

Thomas Sowell
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

Something useful to share – the long burn candles (are new to me) anyway.
All these videos are too long. Especially the first two. Many of these people that make these YouTube videos receive a slight income every time the video is viewed. So they are encouraged to make more and more videos - to generate more income. Oftentimes they spend far too much time like (15 -20 minutes) to explain a very simple idea.

I'll accept that honey fermented garlic is a good health food or probiotic medicine for the immune system, without watching you peel garlic for 11 minutes. Same thing with the Crisco candles. Good way to provide cheap candle light for a long, long time, if it is necessary. But it should not take 15 minutes to get the point across that essentially you just cram a real candle into a jar filled with Crisco vegetable fat.

The last video is just something useful to know. A while back my own experimental casein paint binder worked well - for holding pigment to paper. But it did not work well as a glue. I had begun with cottage cheese rather than milk; a short cut. But my mistake probably was in not using heat; which in the video seems to help incorporate the lime into the casein, much more thoroughly.

* Casein, the white protein in curds left behind when the watery whey is taken out; has been a superior paint binder and glue for thousands of years. The Egyptians used casein paints. When painted over walls plastered with slacked lime, casein based paints have created “frescoes” that look as good today as they did 3,600 years ago, when they were painted by the Minoans. Michelangelo redecorated the previously boring interior of the Vatican's Sistine Chapel; using milk paint applied to plaster.

* For centuries moisture resistant casein glue has been used in laminated woods and for bonding furniture. Casein glue was so strong that it was applied in the plywood used to form aircraft during WWI. It remained in use in wooden aircraft like the “de Havilland Mosquito” until about 1941. But when these aircraft were shipped to the humid tropics of South East Asia, fabrication switched to a newer synthetic glue because jungle insects and fungal micro-organisms would attack and deteriorate the hard glue made from milk.

Omnia mea mecum porto
tombombadil
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tombombadil »

Yes.

I don't know if I'm in "prepping" territory.
I've got freezers full of food, generators to run them, and propane to run the generators.
Cases of water.
Big bags of rice and beans.
I'm working on finding some freeze dried eggs and freeze dried milk.
Really we're only ready for a short breakdown.
If it gets real bad I guess it'll be time for the guns and ammo to make an appearance.
Buy I'll be traveling with a woman and children so it's
unlikely we would survive a gunfight.

We buy meat, honey and eggs directly from local producers. Aside from the quality, it might be good to have a local food industry.

I'm tinkering with radios some. There's quite a group here for that, getting to those meetings is on my list.

I have been making friends with more people locally, having a group might be useful if things go sideways.

I have also started learning about gardening but I'm not sure how effective that would be if hungry people are fighting in the streets. Also about preserving food. And a little theoretical knowledge on livestock.

My wife has medical training, she does that for a living, I should probably take some classes, just haven't taken the time yet.

Ultimately, getting away from cities is probably the best solution. I'm interviewing for a second job, the plan is for that money to go toward a house on some land, outside the city.

Why?

Hard to be very specific without getting political and I've already got a strike so I have to be careful.
Various international groups have written and spoken about their intention to destroy western civilization (which includes the US) as well as their plans for doing it and so far their plans are on track. It seems likely there will be some major disruption and probably during my lifetime.

I'm not sure if it would be temporary enough that my freezers, bags and cases would get us through it but that's all I can really manage at this point so that's what I've done.

It is fun though. Making new friends, learning new skills. Even if things end up being ok, I have learned some cool stuff and made some cool friends so it's not really much of a loss.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

tombombadil wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:03 pm We buy meat, honey and eggs directly from local producers. Aside from the quality, it might be good to have a local food industry.
I have been making friends with more people locally, having a group might be useful if things go sideways.
Honestly, I think that these two things will actually be the most useful.

There seems to be (often) an egocentric, man vs the world attitude to prepping. Either fostered by Hollywood, or influencing Hollywood. Perhaps it comes from the colonisation of "the west" and that "stake a claim" attitude. But at the risk of sounding like a pinko-commie-liberal (come on... you probably I realise I am by now!), humans are social animals, and it is society that built the modern world. There are economies of scale to consider, even when it comes to something as "simple" as gardening. If your neighbour has green fingers, and you know how to build then why not join forces and have both shelter and basic nutrition covered, rather than muddling on individually?

I wouldn't say that we are preppers, but our food is locally sourced, from largely ethical and independent (in the autonomous sense) farms. With a few small dietary changes we could probably eliminate the supermarkets altogether (although my son would mount a one-man revolution if there was no more pasta to be had!) and our biggest crisis would be having to find an alternative to toilet roll! :wink:
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
elbono
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by elbono »

NormandieStill wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:50 am our biggest crisis would be having to find an alternative to toilet roll! :wink:
That's what we use the cobs for after you make corn whiskey, in the next world your on your own!
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!
Knife_man
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Knife_man »

Yes but not nessecarily in the conventional sense.

Personally I see prepping as more a state of mind , you can stockpile food /ammo /gas /whatever, have a generator ready or even a full blown nuclear fallout shelter but all of those things will run out and/or break at some point and your now living in a world where you cant easily replace anything!

So I try my best to KNOW HOW to do/repair/make/grow things, not nessecarily brilliantly but enough to get by.

Just my opinion of course ..... I still keep stocked up on long life food and have a supply of absolute emergency rations for the whole family.

EDIT forgot to answer the WHY? .
Well mainly because I enjoy it I love learning new skills and the joy you get when you finally crack something is great.
+you never know ..... I saw just how F**king mental everyone went when covid hit and let's be honest covid was NOTHING compared to what could easily happen covid has a 90something percent survival rate imagine how crazy the world would get if there was a pandemic of Ebola (30% survival rate) not to mention wars or natural disasters.
Wyododge
Bootlegger

Post by Wyododge »

The way I look at it, it just a matter of volume. If you own a fridge, and a cupboard you are prepping. Maybe not long term, but you are ’prepped’ so to speak. Most have a water heater full of water, and a cupboard, even a grill outside to cook freezer contents quickly if need be. After that, it’s just a matter of duration. Not sure why it became a weird thing recently. Humans have prepped for thousands of years, either by storage or movement. Growing up, my folks and grand folks always canned, always had a freezer, and always had a cellar or basement full of long term foods. I happen to have pretty good resources and animals, a fair amount of tools and enough knowledge to keep my doc neighbor laughing at me. We all work together round these parts. Don’t know if that makes me a prepper, but I guess I’m fairly well prepared. To answer the question(s), yes we are (prepared), yes we encourage others to do the same, and we do it because it’s how we were raised.

If that makes me a ‘prepper’, count me in. But in the end, I think it’s just prudent.
DanConn
Novice

Post by DanConn »

Wyododge wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:34 pm The way I look at it, it just a matter of volume. If you own a fridge, and a cupboard you are prepping. Maybe not long term, but you are ’prepped’ so to speak. Most have a water heater full of water, and a cupboard, even a grill outside to cook freezer contents quickly if need be. After that, it’s just a matter of duration. Not sure why it became a weird thing recently. Humans have prepped for thousands of years, either by storage or movement. Growing up, my folks and grand folks always canned, always had a freezer, and always had a cellar or basement full of long term foods. I happen to have pretty good resources and animals, a fair amount of tools and enough knowledge to keep my doc neighbor laughing at me. We all work together round these parts. Don’t know if that makes me a prepper, but I guess I’m fairly well prepared. To answer the question(s), yes we are (prepared), yes we encourage others to do the same, and we do it because it’s how we were raised.

If that makes me a ‘prepper’, count me in. But in the end, I think it’s just prudent.
Yep, my folks were canning every year back then. Those days if you do those things and try to have some sort of garden - you are a prepper. Back then it was just the norm.
Most of my stuff is either made myself or from local sports store https://gritroutdoors.com/
They've also got good selection of ammo if that's your thing(I'm buying .45 ACP ammo https://gritrsports.com/shooting/ammuni ... -acp-ammo/ )
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Absolutely I'm a prepper. Not because the apocalypse is coming, but because it feels good to know I got what I need and don't have to rely on "the big" man. Alot of people will have no choice but to do,shop and pay whatever is expected to get what they need.
Food ,bullets, clothes,fishing equipment, water,seeds etc.
I like living the way I do now (only been 7yrs in this new lifestyle),I grow,farm,can,hunt and fish.These were all things I did in the past,but as hobbies.I lived in the city,because of work and family.And did all the big city attractions,and have no regrets. Now I love getting up early collecting eggs,checking the garden or hunting/fishing some meat. My kids and grandkids have all followed us north so are still close,which I'm gratefull for🙏
It's quiet were I'm at,very quiet. And im content living my new life.like I said,not really a prepper becauseof an apocalypse coming, just good to know I'm prepared and can get by, by myself. 🍻
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

You've got it in one Bradster, well done mate :D
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Sporacle wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:23 am You've got it in one Bradster, well done mate :D
🍻to that Sporacle if we ever have to hide from zombies 🤣🤣your welcome here.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

contrahead wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:00 am
Installing a hand operated pump to my well is a project that has been in the back of my mind for a while now. That, or better yet to drive a sand-point well in the back yard, that can be both windmill and hand pump powered. My water table is somewhere between 12' and 15' down.
Here in my neck of the woods, there's no rocks so it's easy to use water to drill a well.
Use a garden hose and PVC pipe for the well casing.
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

contrails10.jpg
I ran across this next old picture (below) yesterday. Actually the image information indicates that I captured the image and squirreled it away only last summer; but well before the balloons in the news were recently shot down. I don't remember its source (it could be copyrighted/ don't remember).
EMP-area-coverage.jpg
- I invite no political commentary, just stating what is obvious.
-The Chinese balloon was shot down offshore of S. Carolina, from an altitude of about 60,000 ft. -That's about 18.3 km, which is above the “contrail belt” (25,000 to 40,000+ ft.) where passenger jets fly.
- Scientific high-altitude balloons usually operate within a window of 18 – 37 km, (11 – 23 mi) or 59,000 – 122,000 ft.
- The current altitude record for a high altitude balloon was apparently set in 2002, at an altitude of 53 km, 32.9 mi, or 173,900 ft.

Examining the 2nd image; if the Chinese balloon - as it traversed the continent @ 60,000 ft (18.3 km) had detonated an EMP device, its circle of electronic destruction would have been considerably smaller than the darkest, inner circle on the map. An EMP blast from the highest balloon (53 km/ 173,900ft) however would preform damage within a larger area. But still not an area as large as the continent, including part of Mexico and part of Canada. For that altitude, you merely need to launch the device with a missile.
silos.jpg
Coincidentally, the dark center circle actually covers the locations of American strategic missile silos. But a low EMP blast centered there would be pointless because the missile silos would undoubtedly be hardened against EMP. (A low blast though, would succeed in pissing off a lot of farmers that drive new John Deere tractors – idiotic tractors which require electronics, software or SIM cards before they will even operate).

Small regional EMP strikes could be dealt with and recovered from within a few years. But electromagnetic pulse detonations from low-earth-orbit (LEO) would be far more damaging. Bloodless but devastating. Put all the lights out at once, and then no one can respond or come to the rescue. One still wonders if the future holds a return to the stone age.
Omnia mea mecum porto
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

shadylane wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:44 am
contrahead wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:00 am
Installing a hand operated pump to my well is a project that has been in the back of my mind for a while now. That, or better yet to drive a sand-point well in the back yard, that can be both windmill and hand pump powered. My water table is somewhere between 12' and 15' down.
Here in my neck of the woods, there's no rocks so it's easy to use water to drill a well.
Wow. Interesting technique. Iv seen 3 foot crocks dug in ground. A guy inside digs out the dirt and pail it out. As the crocks slide down guys on top add another. After a while 60 feet or so,u hit water and the guy digging gets lifted out. If he's well liked.😉
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

in my neck of the woods, there's no rocks so it's easy to use water to drill a well.
I get the same result when one of my sprinkler lines busts open! Damn cheap Chinese plastic. :roll:
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.