Constructive Criticism please on fresh rebuild.

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Justmejohn44
Novice

Re: Constructive Criticism please on fresh rebuild.

Post by Justmejohn44 »

But also have these but yeah copper was blue I gave it a vinegar bath and scrub just for picture.
Attachments
20220921_135311.jpg
20220921_135338.jpg
Justmejohn44
Novice

Post by Justmejohn44 »

I also found a stainless Dephlegmator for under $28 on aliexpress that will be here next month. I can't make it for that and I can save the 2in copper for a column on another build or one to swap out with my stainless and boro glass.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

I like that one :thumbup:
Attachments
image.jpeg
Justmejohn44
Novice

Post by Justmejohn44 »

Thanks Yummy that's the one I went with. I put the few 1/2in pieces that were mixed in at the bottom and put the rest with quartz 1/4 and slightly under pieces 1in from the top.
Attachments
20220921_205703.jpg
Screenshot_20220921-205624_Motion photo viewer.jpg
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Sorry if I missed it , but where did you get your quartz rocks . They look kinda smooth like they have been tumbler polished
Justmejohn44
Novice

Post by Justmejohn44 »

Yeah been gem mining my whole life but have tons around my house too. It has been tumbled it was all the little stuff lol use the larger for planters. But you can find it in alot of places online.
Justmejohn44
Novice

Post by Justmejohn44 »

I found these on Amazon
Twdrer 2lb/950g Small Natural White Clear Irregular Shaped Crystal Quartz Rock Tumbled Chips Crushed Stone Healing Reiki Crystal Gemstones for Garden Aquarium Vases Plants Decoration https://a.co/d/hWi2Epw

Or etsy

Look what I found on Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/listing/718904723/ ... hare_v4_lx
Justmejohn44
Novice

Post by Justmejohn44 »

If you order it online watch for bubbles they sent you glass if you have bubbles. Quartz will have linear imperfections. I found this out ordering a big piece for one of my kids science projects.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Justmejohn44 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:58 pm I put the few 1/2in pieces that were mixed in at the bottom and put the rest with quartz 1/4 and slightly under pieces 1in from the top.
From the picture, there's seem to be lots of open spacing between the crystals and look to polished, which will decrease the efficient of column.. but should work very similar to marbles..

Packing for maximum efficiency need to have the smallest spacing between each unit and have a rough surface.. that's is why properly size lava rocks are as efficient as SPP.. and that is the main reason why SPP seem to be better than lava rocks..

Lava rock packing need to be compressed (giggle so that the rocks can find their best fit) when being loaded, otherwise the spacing is left to big.. why is there a different, the tighter the spacing between the rocks the less power is required for the same output, and a reduction in overtime of the run..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Justmejohn44
Novice

Post by Justmejohn44 »

They are really randomly shaped and tumber smoothed and polished lightly they fit alot tighter than marbles could. Alot of flatter pieces and most between bb and black eye pea sized some a little bigger but flat if so. I'll be running it tomorrow so I guess we will see. I have some red lava rocks ready as a back up but they would have to crushed to get down to size.
Justmejohn44
Novice

Post by Justmejohn44 »

Was able to get 170 proof off of it but changing to stainless scrubby with copper mesh at the top of the column. Will be running in a week we'll see what I can get.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

You'll get better results on the next run. I'd dilute what you've collected and run that again after you've done cleaning runs with the new packing. Then again you could use at least some of what you've collected as your sacrificial run too. Run it just like you would in a normal spirit run and it will tell you all you need to know about your new packing.
Justmejohn44
Novice

Post by Justmejohn44 »

I used to run all copper packing in my 24in column but was a pain to keep clean and would fall apart after a while so I'm hoping the stainless will hold up longer and I can just get new copper as needed. But I was thinking of moving to a taller building and adding more height to the column. What is better if I do end up putting my bubble plates in line, them on top of packing or below?
Justmejohn44
Novice

Post by Justmejohn44 »

This is the column this up coming run. I'm trying for Monday with Ian on the way hoping this isn't another Hugo. Creek bottoms and flooding not good.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220930-102554_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220930-101413_Motion photo viewer.jpg
Justmejohn44
Novice

Post by Justmejohn44 »

Upcycled a warranty insulated wetsuit that had to be destroyed into a insulated tank wrap. I was able to get it zipped and crimped the bottom so it can't go passed. Tucked the arms backwards and through the handle used extra for neck fill and top cover. Then trimmed the cut open legs off the bottom to fit. Used a small piece to go around and fill the gap at the heating element. I love finding uses for other people's trash.
Attachments
20221002_155431.jpg
20221002_154336.jpg
20221002_154304.jpg
20221002_154229.jpg
20221002_154141.jpg
Archee72
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Archee72 »

Good idea with the wetsuit John
Justmejohn44
Novice

Post by Justmejohn44 »

Thanks Archee
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Classic John . :clap:
Do all wetsuits have a special flap for the element there? :ebiggrin:
Justmejohn44
Novice

Post by Justmejohn44 »

Lol no thats 100% custom. But yeah I have a buddy that helps run a dive shop. They had a suit returned for warranty replacement. The wet suit company made them cut part of the suit out and trash the rest. I used the rest thats why parts of the lower zipper, butt, and legs are missing but it was free so yeah.
Justmejohn44
Novice

Post by Justmejohn44 »

Deflagmator is arriving today found one for 27, cheaper than I could make it. I'll show the new set up and give a update on the proof I get. Should get to take pic tonight.
Justmejohn44
Novice

Post by Justmejohn44 »

Was able to 190 proof off of her and cut heat up time by 20mins with the wet suit
Attachments
Screenshot_20221005-202744_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20221005-202546_Gallery.jpg