Sour Kegs

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Sour Kegs

Post by Boda Getta »

I run 3 Gal No.3 char Gibbs kegs; I took a couple years off during Covid and in the few days will do a spirit run of a nice 70% corn,15 red wheat,50% malt bourbon mast. I normally keg the new make in my newest keg until I get the color I want, then into a older keg for longer term mellowing. I was checking my kegs today and noticed several had a sour smell. Any suggestions on how to freshen up these kegs. I don't want to put good whiskey in a stinky keg.
Any advise, suggestions, help greatly appreciated.

BG
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Re: Sour Kegs

Post by Salt Must Flow »

I was curious so I Googled 'how to disinfect an oak barrel'. I saw a recommendation to heat water to 185F and pour it in for 20 min to kill any bacteria (after 20 min the temp will be 140F). I saw another recommending to mix a tablespoon of sodium percarbonate or soda carbonate per gallon of water to make a cleaning solution to eliminate any odors.

Makes me wonder if you could slosh some Star San around in there and if that would disinfect it after a while then treat it for odors if necessary.
BlueSasquatch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BlueSasquatch »

Hot water is always better than cold when cleaning kegs it seems. But cold water will still work, add in some oxy-clean, fill until water comes out the top, let it sit a few hours, rinse it. Then fill it say 1/4 full of water, mix in star-san and really get a good foaming going, swirl/slosh it around, then dump it out and let it dry. Don't fear the foam, let it go away naturally, or just continue on your mash day as if the foam was not there.
"In the silence of the study one can discuss theories, but only in practice one becomes an artist" - Meunier
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

after the hot water you might want to put some feints in and swish around as well. What the hot water didn't kill the feints would. even better if you can leave them in for a couple of days, rotating the keg ever few hours to allow them to get into the wood and get any bugs a bit deeper. Of course your new make will do all that as well, but if there is anything that can be carried away this will do that before it gets into the new make.
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

All good stuff guys! I will be heating water in a few days to cook grain; I can take care of all the keys then.
Thanks,

BG
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

In wine barrels in general various degrees of "sanitation" are used .. from simple water to the use of sodium hydroxide which gives a sponge to everything ... is the acid smell acetic acid?
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Salt Must Flow wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:18 am I was curious so I Googled 'how to disinfect an oak barrel'. I saw a recommendation to heat water to 185F and pour it in for 20 min to kill any bacteria (after 20 min the temp will be 140F). I saw another recommending to mix a tablespoon of sodium percarbonate or soda carbonate per gallon of water to make a cleaning solution to eliminate any odors.

Makes me wonder if you could slosh some Star San around in there and if that would disinfect it after a while then treat it for odors if necessary.
Star San is not recommended for wood surfaces if I remember correctly. :think:

Edit to add:
At least that is how interpret this warning on the back of my bottle.
image.png
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Deplorable wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:46 pm
Salt Must Flow wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:18 am I was curious so I Googled 'how to disinfect an oak barrel'. I saw a recommendation to heat water to 185F and pour it in for 20 min to kill any bacteria (after 20 min the temp will be 140F). I saw another recommending to mix a tablespoon of sodium percarbonate or soda carbonate per gallon of water to make a cleaning solution to eliminate any odors.

Star San is not recommended for wood surfaces if I remember correctly. :think:
THANKS for pointing that out. I'm completely ignorant about Star San as well as wood :thumbup: With regard to Star San, I was merely postulating. From what very little I've read, heat kills all that shit, bacteria and mold. Steam should also work too.
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

Kmeta (potassium metabisulfite) is what I use to sanitize my barrels. What were the barrels used for? Kmeta will kill the bacteria and will dissipate over time so I prefer it as a bottle / barrel sanitizer. That said, it won’t kill odors that aren’t bacteria related. I would try a hot water, Kmeta solution which I typically use (amounts depend on what Kmeta version you use. Ie pure or Camden tablets etc). It doesn’t take a lot and I use about 1/4 tsp pure for 5 gallons.

I put that plus VERY hot water in to sanitize my wine barrels.

As I said though, the sour smell may not be bacteria. What was in it before? Frankly the alcohol from any high proof sprit should keep bacteria out for years….

Edit: corrected grammar and spelling errors. Note to self. Don’t drink and type. :wtf:
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.

That’s it. No more reading!
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Id just fill it with feints and let them go until you are ready to do your fill, that should kill whatever and leach anything out that would go into your spirit.
:)
Cabron99
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Cabron99 »

Potassium metabisulfite is what I used prior to aging beer with no side effects. Whisky barrel got a quick rinse with some feints I had laying around. I'd stay away from ANY form of soap or detergent. Good hot water should be your best bet.
pao
"Life is too short for cheap cigars"