Anybody get any good deals lately?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Big River
Novice

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by Big River »

I've seen those deals before when husband leaves wife for younger woman and says "sell my stuff and send me the money."
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Big River wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:54 am I've seen those deals before when husband leaves wife for younger woman and says "sell my stuff and send me the money."
I once bought a 528 BMW for $900 because hubby bought himself a new track hoe,

and then left his wife. His BMW was titled in her name for tax purposes. :lol: :lol:
be water my friend
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

I was driving through a neighborhood and there was a pile of trash at the curb house for sale sign in yard with sold on top

something in the pile caught my eye so I stopped for a better look. Samsung soundbar, bluetooth subwoofer and remote.

in the trunk it goes. there was gaffer tape residue on the soundbar and remote. It worked perfect after I reversed

the duracells in the remote. Tape residue is now removed, and looks and works like new now.
Last edited by cob on Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
be water my friend
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

I found this old Coleman lantern model 288 made in 1999. I went by the dump to throw out the trash and it was sitting on the ground beside the container.
Attachments
rsz_120220920_105912.jpg
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Sailman wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:21 am I found this old Coleman lantern model 288 made in 1999. I went by the dump to throw out the trash and it was sitting on the ground beside the container.
Lol.toò funny.we were at a yardsale yesterday and they had the same lantern for sale. I'm a collector of weird shit so I bought this instead. 15 bucks (Canadian🤣).It's from cuba so not sure if that's a deal or not,or if it's considered deal enough to be on this thread.
Attachments
20220925_162920.jpg
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

Bradster68 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:42 pm
Sailman wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:21 am I found this old Coleman lantern model 288 made in 1999. I went by the dump to throw out the trash and it was sitting on the ground beside the container.
Lol.toò funny.we were at a yardsale yesterday and they had the same lantern for sale. I'm a collector of weird shit so I bought this instead. 15 bucks (Canadian🤣).It's from cuba so not sure if that's a deal or not,or if it's considered deal enough to be on this thread.
That's neat
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Talking about odd things I got this huge silver ring years ago from my father. Not sure it’s value but it is silver and I think it came from Africa or South Africa.
B5EF773F-513D-4223-9332-29604C45A2B7.jpeg
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Bushman wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:44 pm Talking about odd things I got this huge silver ring years ago from my father. Not sure it’s value but it is silver and I think it came from Africa or South Africa.
Oh yeah. That's cool.leave a hell of an impression on someone forehead too.🤣🤣🤣. And it's from paw,nothing could make it better.i sure miss mine.🍻
Old Dog New Tricks
Swill Maker

Post by Old Dog New Tricks »

Hoosier Shine9 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:28 am
Old Dog New Tricks wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:50 pm
Salt Must Flow wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:41 pm
Old Dog New Tricks wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:11 pm
Salt, Estimated New cost OVER $900.00... Made me smile all day today, But a little sad for the guy that had his wife list it...( Neutered)...lol
"Had his wife list it". :lol: :lol: :lol: I wouldn't feel sad at all. If he allowed HER to list it and set the price then he deserves it. Hopefully he learned something. If so, you can be proud that you taught him a valuable lesson and he will never forge you as long as he lives :ebiggrin: If not then no reason to care at all :thumbup:
I actualy offered less than asking price, Because "She" sold 2 of the Carboys out from under me, Listing was for 5 of the 6.5 Carboys, Still smiling... :D :D :D
I just hope after i am gone my wife doesn't sell the fishing stuff for what i told her it cost....... :oops:
LOL, Same Here, Another Hobby turned Habit....
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

A friend who is aware of my hobby found this in his mother's house while clearing it out. And then brought it to me because... well why not?
Little flake stand.jpg
The worm comes out of the bottom of the flake stand, so you can stick a beaker underneath it. The spout coming out of the side of the flake stand has a pipe inside, which takes water from the top, and there's another pipe running down the inside into which you would put a funnel allowing you to put cold water back into it at the bottom. A really nice bit of design.

The name plate has the serial number on it, and these were normally supplied with a little glass or copper boiler and a carrying case, and were used for measuring the abv of wines. The company still exists although I don't think they make these little beauties anymore.

It's so adorably cute. I'll see about cleaning it up and resoldering the failed joints. I really want to use this as the condenser for a little gin still.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

NormandieStill wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:38 am A friend who is aware of my hobby found this in his mother's house while clearing it out. And then brought it to me because... well why not?
Little flake stand.jpg

The worm comes out of the bottom of the flake stand, so you can stick a beaker underneath it. The spout coming out of the side of the flake stand has a pipe inside, which takes water from the top, and there's another pipe running down the inside into which you would put a funnel allowing you to put cold water back into it at the bottom. A really nice bit of design.

The name plate has the serial number on it, and these were normally supplied with a little glass or copper boiler and a carrying case, and were used for measuring the abv of wines. The company still exists although I don't think they make these little beauties anymore.

It's so adorably cute. I'll see about cleaning it up and resoldering the failed joints. I really want to use this as the condenser for a little gin still.
Pretty cool 😎
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Are there good deals available for Malted Barley?

Post by BoomTown »

Haven’t had to buy any for over a year…just recovering from sticker shock after shopping my previous source.

Where can I get a good deal?
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

Bushman wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:44 pm Talking about odd things I got this huge silver ring years ago from my father. Not sure it’s value but it is silver and I think it came from Africa or South Africa.
I am no expert but it does not look South African. One, facial hair in native populations are not as pronounced as the figure's mustache. Head dresses were popular in tribal and settler wars as it indicated military rank (officers) but that would have feathers in. If it is from Africa I would suggest Ethiopia based on the facial hair/mustache. But then as I said I base my comment on pure observation.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

Just picked up two of these barrels I plan on using for rum.
Barrels are in extreme shortage and Barrel Mill makes a great product so i was very happy to find these.
Also looks like a good resource for small used barrels.
Hope it helps someone out there.
https://midwestbarrelco.com/collections ... -once-used#
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Looks like a pretty good price windy.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Today I was given a drywall screw gun, 6.5" Skill saw 3 big bags of smoking pellets and a never used Cher-Broil oil-less turkey fryer. All fo free :ebiggrin:
free fryer - C.jpg
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Had a guy I met twice who's seeing a friend of mine. :crazy: bring me some apple squeezing. So now he says every year I'll get twice this amount. He's got bushels and bushels he can't find anyone to give to. And got his own press(obviously).
I'm thinking brandy?
Any suggestions?

I'm thinking cranky and gooseeyes suggestions. I'm in no hurry🍻
Attachments
20221016_192632.jpg
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Got some peices of copper for free from brother in-law. That's on top of a 4 foot freezer for size comparison
Attachments
20221104_073027.jpg
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

Got a 5 gallon keg for a bottle of oaked UJ and a 15.5 gallon keg for $40 on marketplace!
Now I just have to find the time to make the necessary modifications.

Probably going to put a 6" ferrule on the big keg with the original 2" opening on the bottom for a drain.
For the small one, I'm thinking about doing 2 x 4" ferrules, one for the head and one for a fill port. Again with the original 2" on the bottom.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Got 50lbs of chocolate covered oats for free.
Would these convert if heated properly or maybe add some barley malt to help.not sure how much oat is actually in there.
Attachments
20221106_123238.jpg
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Not the cheapest beer keg Ive ever bought , but very glad to get it anyway. Finding a 100L beer keg here in Australia is about the same as finding rocking horse shit.
This will eventually become an electric boiler for the 3 inch Boka.
CB7175C1-EA96-4BF8-BB5B-F7507C810108.jpeg
9FF7D33E-86B2-4991-A3F0-643B93B16800.jpeg
9FF7D33E-86B2-4991-A3F0-643B93B16800.jpeg (22.13 KiB) Viewed 1728 times
EDIT: you’re a lucky fucker Salty …… only cos I’m jealous as hell I rotated your pics to get a getter gork . :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Yummy
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:41 am Not the cheapest beer keg Ive ever bought , but very glad to get it anyway. Finding a 100L beer keg here in Australia is about the same as finding rocking horse shit.
This will eventually become an electric boiler for the 3 inch Boka.
keg 2 fix.jpgkeg 1 fix.jpg
Nice score Bill,I'm looking for it's twin
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

Recently while on holiday at the coast - friend gave me a 30L Beer Keg! - FREE
He has another one - interested in getting into some distilling - so i will make him a 4' liebig and the head to fit onto the key head!
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Got a never used never charred white oak barrel for 45 bucks today.
Attachments
20221112_133913.jpg
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Got another carboy today for $20
CARBOY 25 NOV 22 - C.PNG
That's normally above my price range but It's marked NRC M3008 which I believe means it's 7 gallons so I figured I could splurge a little.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

cranky wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:43 pm Got another carboy today for $20
CARBOY 25 NOV 22 - C.PNG
That's normally above my price range but It's marked NRC M3008 which I believe means it's 7 gallons so I figured I could splurge a little.
Great find Cranky! Recently I’ve been searching around my neck of the woods for carboys and have come up short.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

Windy City wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:14 am Just picked up two of these barrels I plan on using for rum.
Barrels are in extreme shortage and Barrel Mill makes a great product so i was very happy to find these.
Also looks like a good resource for small used barrels.
Hope it helps someone out there.
https://midwestbarrelco.com/collections ... -once-used#
I am not in the market for barrels right now but I have been getting emails from these guys since I purchased from them
They have a great sale this weekend
I hope this helps someone
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

cranky wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:43 pm Got another carboy today for $20
CARBOY 25 NOV 22 - C.PNG
Finding carboys is a regular occurrence at my local Goodwills. I tend to pass them up if they are over $15. The last 7 gallon I bought was from this same goodwill and cost $13 but that was a few years ago. I passed up a $6 gallon in February for $20 but I have trouble passing up 7s even though they weigh somewhere close to 70#s when full of apple juice.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Got a 6.5 gallon glass carboy today for $10. It was used and dirty and sitting in the More Beer outlet on a shelf. Has a thermometer strip as well. I'll clean it up and it will be good as new.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Uncle Jesse wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:41 pm Got a 6.5 gallon glass carboy today for $10. It was used and dirty and sitting in the More Beer outlet on a shelf. Has a thermometer strip as well. I'll clean it up and it will be good as new.
You could always fill it with pocket change.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K