Amount of solder needed

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tōtōchtin

Amount of solder needed

Post by Tōtōchtin »

I am get my parts and supplies together somewhat. I would like a guess at how many 3 inch fitting copper to ss could a lb of Harris stay brite 8 do. It's a real long ways to the store. Thanks for your time.
Suerte, JK
Si vis pacem, para bellum
acfixer69
Global moderator

Re: Amount of solder needed

Post by acfixer69 »

I have been soldering for about 50 yrs now and never been asked that. The problem answering that is if its your first solder job you will over feed and most is on your foot or the floor. A lb should last you on a 3" still for ever. If it goes, drips to the floor pick it up and save it still usable again.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

1 pound will do a LOT. Like a LOT of joints. If you're like in Alaska or somewhere super crazy far away then two pounds would get you twice as far.

It's hard for me to say just how many joints a single spool would do because I've had some stubborn joints that I presume were my fault. I've picked up excess melted solder off the floor and reused it. I've used probably an excess of Stay Brite liquid flux in attempt to keep joints clean and again, I presume that was my fault too. I was using a propane torch that wasn't functioning quite right either. Since I replaced that torch, soldering has been much easier and much more efficient with flux & solder.
elbono
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by elbono »

I've heard a rule of thumb is filling a joint will use about the amount of solder it takes to wrap around it. If I did my conversions right that would be about 60 3" joints/pound. You'll waste a bunch. I used a bit over 1/2 pound make two pot stills and a CCVM with 2" pipe.

1 pound will definitely do a lot of joints.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!
Tōtōchtin

Post by Tōtōchtin »

Ok after my first couple of soldering attempts I was worried I didn't have enough. But once I backed off the rest of my Liebig went well. I did a lot of soldering with stained glass,didn't think it was something you would forget. The yellow ochre worked well as an anti solder compound.p
Tōtō
Si vis pacem, para bellum