How do you connect the reflux coil to your water supply?

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Re: How do you connect the reflux coil to your water supply?

Post by StillerBoy »

Knife_man wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:01 am bcook608 wrote:
You want the control at the output.
Is there a reason for that?
Not necessary unless one is operating a flute (plated column).. adding a valve on the output side just put addition pressure on the water line and connection for no addition purpose in controlling water flow..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Knife_man wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:59 am
bcook608 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:08 am You want the control at the output.

I've always had it on the input with the reasoning that the pressure will be reduced through my dodgy soldering , and flow rate will be the same either way.
The argument for having the control at the output is that you have higher flow into your condenser which ensures that it remains full. Imagine a dephlag where you feed in from the top (contra-flow cooling). If you throttle the input then you'll drain faster than you fill (unless you take your output tube above the height of the dephlag. There are people here who argue that it helps eliminate bubbles from the condenser.

The argument for controlling the input is this. :wink:
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

NormandieStill wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:01 am If you throttle the input then you'll drain faster than you fill (unless you take your output tube above the height of the dephlag.
That line of thinking does apply somewhat to dephlegmator operation, but not necessary to other style of reflux condenser.. further more, water line should always to feel from a higher height than whatever RC being used, as it reduces pressure on the connections at the RC, plus creates a slight pressure on the water flow..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

NormandieStill wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:01 am
Knife_man wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:59 am
bcook608 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:08 am You want the control at the output.

I've always had it on the input with the reasoning that the pressure will be reduced through my dodgy soldering , and flow rate will be the same either way.
The argument for having the control at the output is that you have higher flow into your condenser which ensures that it remains full. Imagine a dephlag where you feed in from the top (contra-flow cooling). If you throttle the input then you'll drain faster than you fill (unless you take your output tube above the height of the dephlag. There are people here who argue that it helps eliminate bubbles from the condenser.

The argument for controlling the input is this. :wink:
... A picture is worth 1000 words: In my case with CM setup I do like the idea of throttling the input to the Condenser over the output just to cut down on water pressure at more connections. Having said that, it is important to elevate the output line to the top of/above the RC to ensure a full water jacket although I don't think it's really made a material difference for me. What has made a difference in my ability to reflux is to ensure the RC water supply pressure and flow is constant. In my case, it means that it must be completely independent from my PC water supply.
-- Rrmuf
Old Dog New Tricks
Swill Maker

Post by Old Dog New Tricks »

Eric wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:53 am C0188B86-5ECA-4AC1-9176-C42D5D1D0F4E.jpeg
I just use harbor freight pneumatic lines and needle valves
Really digging that Turtle.....
Eric
Novice

Post by Eric »

Image i have 2 separate lines one condenser and one for reflux sorry so long trying to go legal atm
Attachments
20230312_171459.jpg