Whiskey yeasts

All styles of whiskey. This is for all-grain mashes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

DavidG
Novice

Whiskey yeasts

Post by DavidG »

I'm looking for some help finding places to get quality whiskey yeasts in the US. I've made a few batches so far with a blend of DADY and Angel which have produced pretty good results but I know there are some excellent true whiskey yeasts out there. I'm curious - has anybody tried them against DADY or Angel?
My last batch was Honey Bear Bourbon and it turned out really well. It was the 5th batch I've made in this new hobby. I've been very surprised that it actually helps the flavor profile if you let the jars breathe and that the flavors change over time, even when it's not oaked. With hard liqueurs, I thought what came out of the still would be the same on day one as day 300.
Ridgeback816
Novice

Re: Whiskey yeasts

Post by Ridgeback816 »

The best whiskey I made came from a combo of dady and angel yeast but that was largely due to making better cuts but I have had used angel am 1 yeast it came out good I got to greedy with the tails I am hoping at year 2 it will mellow out.
What recipe are you going to make?
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Bakers yeast works great and for a fast ferment :)

I resisted bakers yeast for a long time because I come from a wine making background and use a variety of different yeasts for wines... I've used various beer yeasts for AG whiskies as well and bakers is my go to now unless i'm feeling like doing it different which also happens on occasion :)

Cheers,
jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

It depends on what I'm after, but my go-to is almost always US-05. I've used T-58 once to push spice on a high rye bourbon. But it's still too early to tell if I succeeded.
I'll use bakers if I have to ferment in warmer weather, and the garage is getting warm, but I do all my stillin from fall to spring.
I prefer cooler ferment temps and try to avoid stressing the yeast.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Deplorable wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:00 pm
I prefer cooler ferment temps and try to avoid stressing the yeast.
+1

Long, cool, clean ferments rock.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
juana_b
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by juana_b »

I've had great results with s-04 and Nottingham even in a tropical climate.
“Awards are merely the badges of mediocrity.”
― Charles Ives
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

I don't much care for yellow label, it gives a strange flavor I am not that fond of. There are other options for enzymes. I use S04 a lot, I prefer it to DADY, and generally reuse cakes for many generations, I do keep DADY in the fridge as a backup but it's never hot enough where I ferment to really kick it off hard, it is forgiving though and works fine even in winter.

I am transitioning to wlp099 now, its sta-1 positive, attenuates well and can handle high alcohol so brandies aren't a problem, it's fast and matches my temps well. If I was in a hotter climate I would be inclined to mess with Belgian/farmhouse strains. I love it in high gravity beers, I am hoping some of the notes carry over.

There are tons of yeasts out there, pick one that matches the region you want to emulate and learn it. One yeast can produce a wide range of things depending on how you treat it, the temps, nutrients, what infections you let go and how long the ferment runs.

When you are testing yeasts its worth it to nose and taste the beer before distillation, I think this is something a lot of distillers skip or are afraid of. There is a lot of information available before you even fire up the still.
:)
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Ben wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:56 am I don't much care for yellow label, it gives a strange flavor I am not that fond of. There are other options for enzymes. I use S04 a lot, I prefer it to DADY, and generally reuse cakes for many generations, I do keep DADY in the fridge as a backup but it's never hot enough where I ferment to really kick it off hard, it is forgiving though and works fine even in winter.
Hmmm. I don't find any off flavors using YLAY, but everyone's palate is different I guess... I'm lazy, so it's my go-to yeast to avoid mashing in.

I wonder if you could co-pitch YLAY & your preferred yeast?

I've been messing around with extract beer kits and "funky" yeasts like Lallemand Kveik Ale & German Wheat Style Ale. Summer Wheat, Blue Moon clone, & most recently Backyard Pilsner. Next up is a Franziskaner clone.

Kveik is very aggressive & can tolerate higher fermentation temps. It's known for its esters, so now I'm off to search "kveik + homedistiller" rabbit hole...
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
hawkwing
Swill Maker

Post by hawkwing »

I’ve used US-05. Although I’m considering using White Star yeast for a rye whiskey. They have Kentucky bourbon, vodka and rum yeast etc I’m interested to try some of their stuff. Has anyone tried them and what did you think?
Mcg000
Novice

Post by Mcg000 »

rubberduck71 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:23 am
Kveik is very aggressive & can tolerate higher fermentation temps. It's known for its esters, so now I'm off to search "kveik + homedistiller" rabbit hole...
Hey! I've made 2 different wiskeys (ujssm) from the same exact wash 10 gallons split evenly with Kveik yeast one at 105° F and one at room temperature 68ish both without temp control (I know that 68 is too "low" for the optimal range of Kveik) the one fermented at high temperature tasted super/citrus fruity and the low wines (headsy components) smelt no kidding exactly like white wine before spirit run I had to double check I labeled it correctly because I could have sword I grabbed the wrong container for the spirit run lol 😆 the one fermented way too "low" first of all took almost 3 weeks to attenuate vs 3 and I had to warm it up a bit to 80 deg to fully attenuate but with the same wash tasted/smelled just the every slightest like oranges mixed with lemons but overall had very very few "heads" portion to the run.

I hypothesize that due to it being fermented way lower than it should it was almost like warm fermented "lager" innthe sense that it threw very little esters and since it sat for a long time it had a lot of time time to clean up all the bi-products from primary fermentation. I think the hot fermentation would be great for a longer aged product on oak with wider cuts and the low ferment Kveik would make a dam good sugar wash/vodka type due to the smoothness and subtle fruitiness along with very low esters/heads components compared to Us-05 at room temp.
NorthWoodsAb
Swill Maker

Post by NorthWoodsAb »

Ben wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:56 am
When you are testing yeasts its worth it to nose and taste the beer before distillation, I think this is something a lot of distillers skip or are afraid of. There is a lot of information available before you even fire up the still.
Really! I can't imagine not tasting my beer/wash before putting into still. I'll sample mine any time I check SG throughout ferment. It's real time info on a batch, goes into my notes. I've had 3 or 4 occasions where something funky happens in ferment, taste is off from what's expected. Usually the spirit won't be that good but sometimes it's a surprisingly good result am I'm like "how the hell can I do that again"
Cheers
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

I’ve always been interested in the “Distillamax” whiskey yeasts. Discovered that line while trying to find a hobby level supply of mauri pinnacle.
Never have got my hands on either.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Stonecutter wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:08 pm I’ve always been interested in the “Distillamax” whiskey yeasts. Discovered that line while trying to find a hobby level supply of mauri pinnacle.
Never have got my hands on either.
Awhile back I was gifted a package of the Distillamax GW from a member here and ended up filling a barrel with it. You tasted it last weekend. :mrgreen:
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Twisted Brick wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:30 pm Awhile back I was gifted a package of the Distillamax GW from a member here and ended up filling a barrel with it. You tasted it last weekend. :mrgreen:
E8DB90A2-5E5C-49D6-A525-FEE037112DB7.jpeg
Haha I guess I have had it then!
Good shit!
Be on the lookout!
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine