Looking for column recommendations/feedback

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bcook608
Rumrunner

Looking for column recommendations/feedback

Post by bcook608 »

[EDITED FOR CLARIFICATION]

My goal is to build one head that can be used to create neutrals and be "detuned" to keep some flavor and be able to do one and done runs for whiskeys

My plan is this:
- 2" x 42"-48" boro column packed with marbles (thinking 6mm glass marbles due to relatively low available power)
- 12" coil RC above the "T" with a boro sleeve so I can see the condenser in action. I haven't decided if I want to go with a traditional double wound coil or go with a single wound with cold finger for centering of the returning distillate.
- 24" long x 2" graham condenser with a 1/2" inner coil again with boro sleeve

I'm going for a mad scientist look/feel that will still hopefully perform just as well as one made from copper or SS. I want to be able to see everything going on because it fascinates the hell out of me.

Am I correct in my thinking that I can remove some of the packing to allow more flavor to be carried through? Also, I was thinking about going with 6mm marbles because it seems that smaller columns with lower power seem to like the smaller packing. This comes from my assumptions after reading some of the threads discussing the use of lava rock and the outcomes of changing packing size. Additionally, if I'm using marbles, should I put them through a tumbler with some grit to give them a frosted surface or leave them smooth?

I only have about 1,450w at full power to work with at the moment to drive the still and the cooling water will be coming from a well pump with a pressure tank for stable pressure.

If this plan isn't ideal for my available power, what configuration would you recommend? This will be a slow process as money is tight at the moment, but I wanted to make sure I had a good plan in place before I started piecing this together because I don't want to get everything done only to figure out it doesn't work as I intended.

Thanks in advance for your input!
Last edited by bcook608 on Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Re: Looking for column recommendations/feedback

Post by Demy »

I have had excellent results with detuned column (scrubber) even with fruit, then I built the bubble plates, both work well if you can handle them well.This is my experience.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

I'm a staino scrubber fan . .. But I have a copper column .
If you are going borosilicate column throughout , you will need some copper .... You have to have some in there somewhere .
So maybe you might look at copper mesh .
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Regarding your build. If you’re not planning on using a plated column or building off OD’s design why even bother with the “flute talk” topic at all?
Also, unless I missed it, you didn’t specify your column diameter. That will be helpful info as well.
The whole idea of “detuning” a packed column for one and done whiskeys has been something of a failed attempt as far as I’ve experienced and read. It’s like using a leatherman tool to build with. The right tool for the job is what you want and in my limited experience the right tool for whiskeys is a strip/spirit with a pot and the right tool for a neutral is a reflux column spec’d to either the DAD300 or Bokakob designs.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

+1 on heat Yummyrum said, you are going to want some copper in your upward vapor path.
Copper mesh would do the trick.
You didn't say what diameter this glass column would be.
You are a little anemic on power. Is there any way to increase it, do you have a electric dryer outlet?
You started talking about flutes which are CM stills, but then said you are putting your condenser above the tee.
You might want to make your life easier and check out CCVM stills with corrugated stainless tubing.

edit posting same time as Stonecutter
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Like Stonecutter said, for flavored spirits I would start with using a basic pot still configuration. Strip it then do a slow spirit run. From there you can play with packing and adding some reflux to see how it's working for you.

As far as the packing goes, marbles are essentially perfect spheres. I've heard they work, but I have never tried them myself. Similar sized Lava Rock has more surface area in comparison to marbles so I imagine it would have to work better. I'd bet it's cheaper and more readily available too. You would benefit with some copper mesh regardless whether you're running a pot still or a reflux column.

For the product condenser, I don't think you want a Graham Condenser. I think what you're thinking of is a Dimroth Condenser. I made a 2"x24" double wound Dimroth Condenser using 1/4" copper tubing and it didn't work well for stripping using 5500W. It didn't have enough knockdown power, but it should work ok for the amount of power you're using. I ended up turning it into a shotgun condenser which worked perfectly for even 11000W. If you choose to make a Dimroth Condenser, I'd use tubing that is larger than 1/4". Even 5/16" should make a noticeable difference in capability of water flow rate and knockdown power.
bunny
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bunny »

bcook608 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:03 am I am still reading through the Flute Talk thread and all of it's included links (Holy hell that's a lot of reading!) and I thought I'd get some feedback that may or may not be found in the thread as I continue working my way through it.

My goal is to build one head that can be used to create neutrals and be "detuned" to keep some flavor and be able to do one and done runs for whiskeys

My plan is this:
- 42"-48" boro column packed with marbles (thinking 6mm glass marbles due to relatively low available power)
- 12" coil RC above the "T" with a boro sleeve so I can see the condenser in action. I haven't decided if I want to go with a traditional double wound coil or go with a single wound with cold finger for centering of the returning distillate.
- 24" long x 2" graham condenser with a 1/2" inner coil again with boro sleeve

I'm going for a mad scientist look/feel that will still hopefully perform just as well as one made from copper or SS. I want to be able to see everything going on because it fascinates the hell out of me.

Am I correct in my thinking that I can remove some of the packing to allow more flavor to be carried through? Also, I was thinking about going with 6mm marbles because it seems that smaller columns with lower power seem to like the smaller packing. This comes from my assumptions after reading some of the threads discussing the use of lava rock and the outcomes of changing packing size. Additionally, if I'm using marbles, should I put them through a tumbler with some grit to give them a frosted surface or leave them smooth?

I only have about 1,450w at full power to work with at the moment to drive the still and the cooling water will be coming from a well pump with a pressure tank for stable pressure.

If this plan isn't ideal for my available power, what configuration would you recommend? This will be a slow process as money is tight at the moment, but I wanted to make sure I had a good plan in place before I started piecing this together because I don't want to get everything done only to figure out it doesn't work as I intended.

Thanks in advance for your input!
IMHO your plan isn't ideal for your power available. I'm in a similar situation with only one 20 amp 120v circuit that will never get better at this location. I've managed to work with this restriction with great results except it takes longer.

If you have the time, you'll be fine.

Your plan however, imho, needs some tempering.

Start with the boiler. If you are permanently stuck with this available power (as I am), you should probably stay at 8 gallons or less.

I do my stripping on a modified 5g Corny Keg ( a sixtel sanke keg will work but cost is a factor) with a 1500w 120v element that draws 11.5A @ 115v (measured 1322w).

It takes an hour to heat up 4g of 10% wash and just over another hour to strip to 208* Do to the way the Corny lid seals it can't support a tall column so it's only real purpose for me is stripping.

With a controller it could work for a pot spirit run.

I use a short pony keg (7.75g) for my spirit runs. A 4500w ULWD 240v element that draws 8.5A @ 118v (measured 1003w).

This takes almost 2 hours to bring 7g of 35% low wines to azeo at the top of my column.

Yes, this is quite slow.

Now your going to need a 2" packed column. Just how tall and with what packing is a difficult decision to make when you're starting out.

I'll admit I used sight glasses and controllers during my experimental phase. I've since built my equipment around the data I gathered and no longer use either.

Instead of using the glass columns, use copper or ss. While your running your still you can watch YOUTUBE videos of the Russians running their's and be much cheaper and better off. Inside your column won't be much different. IMHO 48" minimum and preferably 60" packed.

Packing: Go straight to lava and be done with it. You can save up for spp if you feel the need later.

So, now you have a boiler and a packed column. What to put on top? That's up to you. I have my own favorite.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

I totally agree, you should really look into running 240V. Usually even the smallest apartment has 240V power in the laundry room and in the kitchen for electric ovens unless they all run on gas. You could also check the breaker box and see if there are any open slots for additional circuit breakers. If you have open slots then you can pop in a GFCI breaker and run a line that can be easily removed in the future.
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

When I first switched from natural gas to electric I did not have a 240 volt outlet in my basement.
I had my electrician install a gfi 240 volt breaker in my circuit breaker panel and a outlet right below it.
I then built a 50' 6-4 50 amp extension cord to get to my distilling location. When I wasn't running I could just unplug it, roll it up and put it away.
very convienant
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

Windy City wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:17 am When I first switched from natural gas to electric I did not have a 240 volt outlet in my basement.
I had my electrician install a gfi 240 volt breaker in my circuit breaker panel and a outlet right below it.
I then built a 50' 6-4 50 amp extension cord to get to my distilling location. When I wasn't running I could just unplug it, roll it up and put it away.
very convienant
Salt Must Flow wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:46 am I totally agree, you should really look into running 240V. Usually even the smallest apartment has 240V power in the laundry room and in the kitchen for electric ovens unless they all run on gas. You could also check the breaker box and see if there are any open slots for additional circuit breakers. If you have open slots then you can pop in a GFCI breaker and run a line that can be easily removed in the future.
Unfortunately it isn't that simple for me. I should have stated that I am running 110v out of necessity as I have to navigate around a member of my household. My 240v outlets are either in the basement in the utility room or behind the stove which has been upgraded from electric to gas and both are locations that offer little in the way of privacy from them. I am currently running ferments and all stilling operations in my bedroom.

My wife and I are living with her grandmother due to her failing health and she is not the most receptive of the hobby. So without running an additional outlet to my bedroom and building an additional 240v controller (which is cost prohibitive at the moment), I'm left with 110v for the moment.

So it appears I would be better suited by a 2" stainless steel column packed with 1/4" lava rock (the glassy kind, not the dull red kind) and whichever head I elect to use (which will be a VM head due to the ease of learning and operation). I will keep my 5 gallon pot for running the column and use my 26 gallon boiler to strip the wash prior to running through the column. Other than that, I'll keep double potting my flavored spirits.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

bcook608 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:36 pm I am currently running ferments and all stilling operations in my bedroom.

My wife and I are living with her grandmother due to her failing health and she is not the most receptive of the hobby. So without running an additional outlet to my bedroom and building an additional 240v controller (which is cost prohibitive at the moment), I'm left with 110v for the moment.

So it appears I would be better suited by a 2" stainless steel column packed with 1/4" lava rock (the glassy kind, not the dull red kind) and whichever head I elect to use (which will be a VM head due to the ease of learning and operation). I will keep my 5 gallon pot for running the column and use my 26 gallon boiler to strip the wash prior to running through the column. Other than that, I'll keep double potting my flavored spirits.
That’s brutal bcook608! Your wife is more understanding than mine.
I think you’ve got a good game plan now. Kudos for going truly underground with the hobby and still managing to find ways to improve and expand :clap:
Cheers
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

bcook608 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:36 pm
Windy City wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:17 am When I first switched from natural gas to electric I did not have a 240 volt outlet in my basement.
very convienant
Salt Must Flow wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:46 am I totally agree, you should really look into running 240V. Usually even the smallest apartment has 240V power in the laundry room and in the kitchen for electric ovens unless they all run on gas. You could also check the breaker box and see if there are any open slots for additional circuit breakers. If you have open slots then you can pop in a GFCI breaker and run a line that can be easily removed in the future.
Unfortunately it isn't that simple for me. I should have stated that I am running 110v out of necessity as I have to navigate around a member of my household. My 240v outlets are either in the basement in the utility room or behind the stove which has been upgraded from electric to gas and both are locations that offer little in the way of privacy from them. I am currently running ferments and all stilling operations in my bedroom.

I understand what you are saying, but whenever anyone proposes a 'problem' my brain always seeks a solution. My first thought was to make an extension cord that goes from the room you intend to distill in down, through the floor (behind baseboard trim) and plug it into the 240V receptacle. If the receptacle is too far away, perhaps tap into the 240V line to branch it up into the room if any portion of the line is closer than the receptacle. Of course I'm assuming that the basement is unfinished. I just hate to hear stories about no access to 240V.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Salt Must Flow wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:43 am
As far as the packing goes, marbles are essentially perfect spheres. I've heard they work, but I have never tried them myself. Similar sized Lava Rock has more surface area in comparison to marbles so I imagine it would have to work better. I'd bet it's cheaper and more readily available too. .....
That depends on how well you play marbles!
:D
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

Salt Must Flow wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:48 pm
bcook608 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:36 pm
very convienant

I understand what you are saying, but whenever anyone proposes a 'problem' my brain always seeks a solution. My first thought was to make an extension cord that goes from the room you intend to distill in down, through the floor (behind baseboard trim) and plug it into the 240V receptacle. If the receptacle is too far away, perhaps tap into the 240V line to branch it up into the room if any portion of the line is closer than the receptacle. Of course I'm assuming that the basement is unfinished. I just hate to hear stories about no access to 240V.
I suppose I could attempt to persuade the missus to do that. Wouldn't be TOO hard I don't think. The basement is fully finished, but I might be able to run an extension cord or even an independent run of 240 into the AC return duct which happens to pop out right next to my 50 gallon fermenter. Now you've got the wheels turning... :wink:
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

Yummyrum wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:26 am I'm a staino scrubber fan . .. But I have a copper column .
If you are going borosilicate column throughout , you will need some copper .... You have to have some in there somewhere .
I figured I would either use copper mesh to support the packing, or place a roll at the top as I've read that some people have experienced the mesh settling/compacting and creating vapor restriction. Otherwise, I could do several smaller sections of copper mesh evenly spaced within the packing.
Stonecutter wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:39 am Regarding your build. If you’re not planning on using a plated column or building off OD’s design why even bother with the “flute talk” topic at all?
Also, unless I missed it, you didn’t specify your column diameter. That will be helpful info as well.
The whole idea of “detuning” a packed column for one and done whiskeys has been something of a failed attempt as far as I’ve experienced and read. It’s like using a leatherman tool to build with. The right tool for the job is what you want and in my limited experience the right tool for whiskeys is a strip/spirit with a pot and the right tool for a neutral is a reflux column spec’d to either the DAD300 or Bokakob designs.
I don't really have a good reason other than seeing so many people referring to that thread when asked about reflux columns. If nothing else, it's given me some insight to the intricacies of reflux rigs. So I guess even mentioning that kind of throws off the intent of my post. I have settled on a VM design, but was looking to see if the idea that I had would be feasible with my currently limited power.

Column diameter and everything else will be 2" diameter. Even the Valve.

This is the tubing that I'm looking at:
https://www.mountainglass.com/Simax-Med ... be-52mm-12

And the packing:
https://www.avogadro-lab-supply.com/pro ... gKHZ_D_BwE
And after thinking about it for a bit, I'll likely include several thin layers of copper in the column to avoid having the mesh get crushed at the bottom of the column and choke the reflux return path.
Salt Must Flow wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:43 am Like Stonecutter said, for flavored spirits I would start with using a basic pot still configuration. Strip it then do a slow spirit run. From there you can play with packing and adding some reflux to see how it's working for you.

As far as the packing goes, marbles are essentially perfect spheres. I've heard they work, but I have never tried them myself. Similar sized Lava Rock has more surface area in comparison to marbles so I imagine it would have to work better. I'd bet it's cheaper and more readily available too. You would benefit with some copper mesh regardless whether you're running a pot still or a reflux column.

For the product condenser, I don't think you want a Graham Condenser. I think what you're thinking of is a Dimroth Condenser. I made a 2"x24" double wound Dimroth Condenser using 1/4" copper tubing and it didn't work well for stripping using 5500W. It didn't have enough knockdown power, but it should work ok for the amount of power you're using. I ended up turning it into a shotgun condenser which worked perfectly for even 11000W. If you choose to make a Dimroth Condenser, I'd use tubing that is larger than 1/4". Even 5/16" should make a noticeable difference in capability of water flow rate and knockdown power.
I was thinking of a 1/2" Graham condenser (Basically a long skinny worm inside the boro tube). Seems that the dimroth would have the cooling water traveling through the copper coil when I actually want the distillate to be in the coil. This is something that I may change though, dripping distillate off of a copper cooling coil might be a nice sight... :think:

Again, I'm really thinking of doing this build where function meets form and everything works well enough, but also looks really cool so I can show the few friends that know about my involvement with this hobby. (I know, I know, vanity... But hey, can't a guy like nice shiny things too?) That's the main drive behind the marbles and all the boro tube with the Graham condenser. It's not what normally comes to mind when you think "still" but it's something fun to play around with.
Last edited by bcook608 on Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

Demy wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:00 am I have had excellent results with detuned column (scrubber) even with fruit, then I built the bubble plates, both work well if you can handle them well.This is my experience.
So when you "detune" your rig, are you simply removing some of the packing or are you changing the packing material? I figured I could start by removing half the glass packing and see what ABV I end up with and make further adjustments from there.

If that doesn't work, I could just add copper mesh until I reach the desired output and flavor profile.
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

This is the picture that sparked my imagination:
still1.jpg
Looking to take the marble packed column and have the clear condenser like the one on the left.
That coupled with the clear RC showing off a nice coil would look quite nice IMO.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Yummyrum wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:26 am you will need some copper .... You have to have some in there somewhere .
Windy City wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:49 am +1 on heat Yummyrum said, you are going to want some copper in your upward vapor path.
I'm 100% with Yummy n Windy.......copper mesh rules ...especially in a glasser.
You can put a shit load in for a neutral reflux run or just a bit when you want to de tune and drive it like a potty for flavor.
Pay once Cry once , buy the proper structured copper mesh that can be rolled up......you wont regret it.......scrubbies suck IMO.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

bcook608 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:16 am
Demy wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:00 am I have had excellent results with detuned column (scrubber) even with fruit, then I built the bubble plates, both work well if you can handle them well.This is my experience.
So when you "detune" your rig, are you simply removing some of the packing or are you changing the packing material? I figured I could start by removing half the glass packing and see what ABV I end up with and make further adjustments from there.

If that doesn't work, I could just add copper mesh until I reach the desired output and flavor profile.
I tried 2 ways, short packing and little tight packing ... always with stainless scrubber, both ways work well.
It is necessary to have copper of course, you can use pieces of copper in the boiler and in the column (if the scrubbers are stainless)
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

bcook608 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:05 am This is the tubing that I'm looking at:
We use Simax glassware at work and it seems pretty good quality .
Can’t vouch for that tube. Boro is good for handling shock cooling but it will still crack if struck or placed under stress . It is not toughened glass . We have a big box of broken Boro glassware as testament .

Personally , I’m not sure I would trust 2.5mm thick with glass or other solid packing . I’d be wary of different heat expansions of solid packing placing undue pressure on the tube .
As I mentioned , I’m a Scrubber fan . They work well in 2” and would not cause any stress in the tube . As wouldn’t copper mesh.
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

Having compared marbles and scrubbies, the scrubbies have a shorter hetp. 4” vs 5-5.5 for marbles. Figure every 5” of marbles is a plate, which means you can get 8-10 plates in your column. Scrubbies would give 10-12.

Detuning by using less packing height does work fine. One of my best corn flake whiskeys was made with 8” of scrubbies. I have run a 4” column with marbles where I could adjust take off abv by the depth of the marble bed. Pretty simple, if the abv is too high scoop some out, if it’s too low add more.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

You don't really have to worry about copper mesh crushing when used to support packing. I've bought mesh a couple of times from two different places and one place sent a really fine copper mesh while the other send a nice coarse copper mesh. After a couple of runs I've unrolled some of each type and the really fine copper mesh appeared to be untarnished throughout a lot (if not most) of it which leads me to believe it was too restrictive. The more coarse mesh was almost completely tarnished which leads me to believe vapor had no trouble passing through it all. I might have in the past referred to the fine mesh being "crushed" in that example, but that's only trying to compare one kind to another. Generally speaking copper mesh works great to support packing and comes highly highly recommended. Just shop for the coarse type. I bought mine many many years ago so I don't remember what type or grade was attributed to it.

If I were to make a 2" borosilicate glass product condenser, I'd probably go with a version of a Dimroth Condenser, but with a cold finger and one coil around it. I have doubts that it would have as much knock down power as a shotgun condenser though.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

bcook608 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:21 am This is the picture that sparked my imagination:

still1.jpg

Looking to take the marble packed column and have the clear condenser like the one on the left.
That coupled with the clear RC showing off a nice coil would look quite nice IMO.
Is it from this topic bcook ?
viewtopic.php?p=6911522&sid=3c441eb1ca3 ... b#p6911522
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

Yummyrum wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:53 pm
bcook608 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:21 am This is the picture that sparked my imagination:

still1.jpg

Is it from this topic bcook ?
viewtopic.php?p=6911522&sid=3c441eb1ca3 ... b#p6911522
I saw it in the Construction Site thread but now that I have the original build, maybe I'll go with that!
Saltbush Bill wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:36 am
Yummyrum wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:26 am you will need some copper .... You have to have some in there somewhere .
Windy City wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:49 am +1 on heat Yummyrum said, you are going to want some copper in your upward vapor path.
I'm 100% with Yummy n Windy.......copper mesh rules ...especially in a glasser.
You can put a shit load in for a neutral reflux run or just a bit when you want to de tune and drive it like a potty for flavor.
Pay once Cry once , buy the proper structured copper mesh that can be rolled up......you wont regret it.......scrubbies suck IMO.
I bought a 100' roll a while back so I have plenty left over for this. Might just give it a shot!
Yummyrum wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:49 am
bcook608 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:05 am This is the tubing that I'm looking at:
We use Simax glassware at work and it seems pretty good quality .
Can’t vouch for that tube. Boro is good for handling shock cooling but it will still crack if struck or placed under stress . It is not toughened glass . We have a big box of broken Boro glassware as testament .

Personally , I’m not sure I would trust 2.5mm thick with glass or other solid packing . I’d be wary of different heat expansions of solid packing placing undue pressure on the tube .
As I mentioned , I’m a Scrubber fan . They work well in 2” and would not cause any stress in the tube . As wouldn’t copper mesh.
I only went with 2.5mm thickness because it ended up matching the inner and outer diameter of regular spools. I'll take a look at my sight glass and see if there's any play. Maybe I can get some thicker stuff. Is there a type of glass you'd recommend? I figured Boro due to its heat tolerances and relative toughness.
bluefish_dist wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:20 am Having compared marbles and scrubbies, the scrubbies have a shorter hetp. 4” vs 5-5.5 for marbles. Figure every 5” of marbles is a plate, which means you can get 8-10 plates in your column. Scrubbies would give 10-12.

Detuning by using less packing height does work fine. One of my best corn flake whiskeys was made with 8” of scrubbies. I have run a 4” column with marbles where I could adjust take off abv by the depth of the marble bed. Pretty simple, if the abv is too high scoop some out, if it’s too low add more.
Thanks for this info! I guess I'll have to seriously consider copper mesh packing.
Salt Must Flow wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:52 am You don't really have to worry about copper mesh crushing when used to support packing. I've bought mesh a couple of times from two different places and one place sent a really fine copper mesh while the other send a nice coarse copper mesh. After a couple of runs I've unrolled some of each type and the really fine copper mesh appeared to be untarnished throughout a lot (if not most) of it which leads me to believe it was too restrictive. The more coarse mesh was almost completely tarnished which leads me to believe vapor had no trouble passing through it all. I might have in the past referred to the fine mesh being "crushed" in that example, but that's only trying to compare one kind to another. Generally speaking copper mesh works great to support packing and comes highly highly recommended. Just shop for the coarse type. I bought mine many many years ago so I don't remember what type or grade was attributed to it.

If I were to make a 2" borosilicate glass product condenser, I'd probably go with a version of a Dimroth Condenser, but with a cold finger and one coil around it. I have doubts that it would have as much knock down power as a shotgun condenser though.
Now that I know where to find the build thread, I'll definitely be looking into a shotty. I just saw it in with the post a pic of your rig thread and didn't have the foggiest idea of how to approach that. But I might be able to figure it out now.

Thank you all for your input. I think I'll abandon the marble idea and really measure my sight glass ends to see what the limits are for my glass column to see if I can get some thicker tubing
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

What would you guys recommend as the minimum wall thickness that you would be comfortable using? I've been able to find some 60mm OD with a 7mm wall thickness which seems to be much more appealing as far as strength goes.