Thoughts ?

Moderator: Site Moderator

Old Dog New Tricks
Swill Maker

Re: Thoughts ?

Post by Old Dog New Tricks »

EricTheRed wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:56 pm Most important, to me anyway, is to fit everything with tri clamps. Makes everything modular
Then you can change your mind whenever you like.
I strongly agree with you on the Tri-clamps, Versatility is KEY...
Old Dog New Tricks
Swill Maker

EricTheRed wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:56 pm Most important, to me anyway, is to fit everything with tri clamps. Makes everything modular
Then you can change your mind whenever you like.
EricTheRed, I strongly agree with this, Versatility is key to advance my skills....
Old Dog New Tricks
Swill Maker

Thanks everyone for the Input/suggestions..... Anybody else want to add to this Please feel free.......
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Any updates as to which way you're leaning? Building, buying, the type of still and what size?
Old Dog New Tricks
Swill Maker

Salt Must Flow wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:13 am Any updates as to which way you're leaning? Building, buying, the type of still and what size?
Buying 8 gallon/3 inch copper column compleat w/ heating setup, Looking at a keg out if California w/4in ferrol on top and a 1.5 in drain already installed, to build up, they also offer a 30 gallon one....
i Have been reading up on builds, thinking that will happen soon...
Thanks for everyone's input....
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Building is a great way to go, even if you do it later. I started with store bought and it worked. The more I learned the more I realized it was inadequate and pretty dangerous. Learned to fashion copper, to solder, and refreshed my command of profanity. Now the only original part of my rig is the boiler and that’s modified with, well, everything but the copper. Ferrules, piping, thumper, worm, cooling, all fashioned and working like I almost knew what I was doing. And in case you hadn’t noticed…there’s the tiniest bit of pride in accomplishment something you didn’t know you could do. Go for it! :ebiggrin:
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
Old Dog New Tricks
Swill Maker

Yonder wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:39 pm Building is a great way to go, even if you do it later. I started with store bought and it worked. The more I learned the more I realized it was inadequate and pretty dangerous. Learned to fashion copper, to solder, and refreshed my command of profanity. Now the only original part of my rig is the boiler and that’s modified with, well, everything but the copper. Ferrules, piping, thumper, worm, cooling, all fashioned and working like I almost knew what I was doing. And in case you hadn’t noticed…there’s the tiniest bit of pride in accomplishment something you didn’t know you could do. Go for it! :ebiggrin:
Yonder, Indeed, Buying to learn, then building bigger
Getting the Copper 3" Torpedo pro tower, adding a 6" deflag...to learn on. was going to get the 2" copper package, But after a call or two, they are willing to go the Larger for the difference in price,,,
Thanks for the Advice, ODNT
NorthWoodsAb
Swill Maker

Post by NorthWoodsAb »

Old Dog New Tricks wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:40 pm
JLP IV wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:27 am Since your already thinking about a bigger boiler for next year, why not spend the money for the larger one now and save a few bucks.
My house only has 2 220v outlets, hence waiting till Brew shed is built..
I would recommend 220v power supply. If you can plug into the dryer plug in laundry room that is a perfect source. That's what I use, I'm sure many do as well. We never run the still and laundry at same time so there is no conflict. Kitchen stove is another 220 point but would be a PITA to access for distilling. Buying 110v only to use a few times b4 going up to 220 would be a waste of money in my opinion.
Edit spelling error
Old Dog New Tricks
Swill Maker

North Woods Ab,
Thanks for the Input, Already ordered a Kit From StillDragon, Awaiting it now...
I had a additional 220v outlet installed just below my box ( Thanks Steve )
Electrician's are getting expensive, Only cost me a Rack of smoked ribs and sides... LOL....
He will assist me in building my Power Supply box when it arrives,
Also ordered a 5500W element from Denford, As recemented by many others on here...
100v works but it is Painstakingly slow...

ODNT