I'm new here

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

legmaker
Novice

I'm new here

Post by legmaker »

I'm an experienced home brewer and have an interest in home distilling. When I started brewing it was illegal in my old home state, but legalized shortly after. I do feel odd researching and obtaining equipment that may be illegal. Seems like the authorities don't generally care unless you're producing a lot and/or selling it. I'm mostly here for reading and learning more. Southeast US.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Re: I'm new here

Post by Demy »

Welcome, many members come from places where it is illegal to distil ...
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Welcome and 🍻
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

Welcome. Seems there are quite a few of us from the Southeast US. NC here.

Like you, I have minor misgivings about the legality question, but it seems like a fairly minor concern these days. But the risk is worth it, and this hobby is just too engrossing and interesting to ignore.
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

There's people here that's been home distilling likely before you've been born and haven't had any any troubles with the law. It's funny how home brewers and wine makers can make as much as they want for themselves, but are taught to be afraid of distilling it to make it cleaner and arguably safer (more healthy). Distilling just cleans it up and makes it MUCH better than store bought crap due to the cuts we make that commercial distillers do not. I'm not saying that ALL commercial distillers don't make cuts, but the hangover tells the truth.