will cinnimon/ cloves flavor come through my mash to dis

All things related to oils and Hydrosols. How to make them and their uses.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Chevystairs
Novice

will cinnimon/ cloves flavor come through my mash to dis

Post by Chevystairs »

will cinnimon/ cloves flavor come through my mash to distillation? i seem to have almost a numb toungue after distilling cider with cinimon and cloves in it. will it convert into essential oils in the spirit?
I have looked at almost every site rule and forum on here first before I posted anything but i'm simple man and sometimes "it gets all blocked up in my mouth and i don't say it no goods"
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: will cinnimon/ cloves flavor come through my mash to dis

Post by TwoSheds »

The flavors come through some. Not exactly like the original but they definitely come through. Take a break and try your distillate tomorrow and see if you taste it.

Diluted essential oils are basically what you're getting coming through, but if you wanted to make essential oils the process is a bit different and the ratios of the spices are a LOT higher.
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

Yes, many different botanicals will make their presence known when distilled with a wash, mash, beer, must, low wine or maceration. I enjoy redistilling a high ABV maceration of cinnamon (diluted down for safety) that really comes out with cinnamon character but more refined than the maceration itself, very Goldschlager like when proofed and sweetened.

Almost anything that has an oil as part of its flavour profile, like most botanicals, will pass through distillation to some degree that varies with the particular botanical. Without this fact gin and many other spirits wouldn't exist.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

you may feel it ... also depends on the quantities used ... cinnamon has a strong aroma ...
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

Do a strip and a spirit run. Those flavors should come through.
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.
ThomasBrewer
Swill Maker

Post by ThomasBrewer »

I recently stripped a vanilla & cinnamon mead and the flavors are definitely present in the stripped output. I haven't yet done a spirit run though, and imagine that some heads or tails will need to be back-blended with the hearts to keep flavors.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Putting botanicals in the mash is probably the most inefficient use of them, but I suspect that you are using the word 'mash' incorrectly and that it's not what you meant. Using the correct terminology will save confusion and get better answers.

If any product numbs your tongue, I would guess that the proof is too high. For sampling new make when choosing cuts, I suggest proofing samples to 35% abv, or lower.
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

On a whim, I tried a faux tequila recipe that had a tiny sprinkle of clove in it. The flavor definitely made it through a stripping and spirit run, although the results tasted nothing like tequila. Treated it with sodium carbonate and redistilled, and I got a very definite cinnamon note in the second half of the run.

So yea, as others have said, the flavor will come through, but it might do something strange and interesting.
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Steve Broady wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:38 am cinnamon note in the second half of the run.
If distilling Gin is any indication , Ive found that Cinnamon and Cassia will always come through late in the run.
Chevystairs
Novice

Post by Chevystairs »

NZChris wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:11 pm Putting botanicals in the mash is probably the most inefficient use of them, but I suspect that you are using the word 'mash' incorrectly and that it's not what you meant. Using the correct terminology will save confusion and get better answers.

If any product numbs your tongue, I would guess that the proof is too high. For sampling new make when choosing cuts, I suggest proofing samples to 35% abv, or lower.
jesus christ NZChris, everypost you comment about something i'm not asking about and i see you do it all the time on others posts too. i am using proper terms, but you don't seem to really read the post. i see you have a epic amout of posts, but most i see on here, it seems you don't understand the questions. i understand if you are a troll, i even asked you about this before, but i thought this forum was for getting answers and joining a community of likeminded people. i appreciate sometimes when you add a bit of knowledge but honestly, you seem to just post for the sake of posting and trying to sound like you know more than everyone else possibly could, rather then trying to help. sorry to rant but its everytime man.
I have looked at almost every site rule and forum on here first before I posted anything but i'm simple man and sometimes "it gets all blocked up in my mouth and i don't say it no goods"
Chevystairs
Novice

Post by Chevystairs »

thanks everyone for the answers, most were very helpful. i love asking things sometimes even if the theory might be off, so i can see what others think :D
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

There is a definition of 'mash' here. Read it and you might understand why I was confused by your question.
https://homedistiller.org/wiki/index.ph ... t_and_Marc

I doubt anyone on the forum has tried putting those botanicals in a mash and very few would have tried putting them in a wash.

Because a lot of their flavors would be lost to backset and feints doing the strip and spirit runs, they are usually added to a gin style run using heart cut spirit, or steeped after the distillation.

So, what did you try and how well did it work?
BrewinBrian44
Rumrunner

Post by BrewinBrian44 »

Chevystairs wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:18 pm
NZChris wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:11 pm Putting botanicals in the mash is probably the most inefficient use of them, but I suspect that you are using the word 'mash' incorrectly and that it's not what you meant. Using the correct terminology will save confusion and get better answers.

jesus christ NZChris, everypost you comment about something i'm not asking about and i see you do it all the time on others posts too. i am using proper terms, but you don't seem to really read the post. i see you have a epic amout of posts, but most i see on here, it seems you don't understand the questions. i understand if you are a troll, i even asked you about this before, but i thought this forum was for getting answers and joining a community of likeminded people. i appreciate sometimes when you add a bit of knowledge but honestly, you seem to just post for the sake of posting and trying to sound like you know more than everyone else possibly could, rather then trying to help. sorry to rant but its everytime man.
Whoa whoa, relax man. Your assessment of Chris is incorrect, he’s given me and several others great advice and insights and is just trying to help. He also cares about being precise with terminology, which is not a bad thing. Nothing personal.
Stags
Bootlegger

Post by Stags »

Yes they’ll come through.

I got a cheap box of peaches from a corner store and thought hell I’ll try and do a 5 gallon peach cobbler brandy. Buttered and Carmelized the peaches, puréed, added to crock pot to simmer for 24 hours. Threw some white wheat for bread notes and some spices including a whole stick of cinnamon. Added brown sugar to target ~10% abv wash. Pitched with bakers yeast. Fermented clean in about 5 days and had to let sit for a week before running due to work. Ran through potstill with grains and feints from an AG run in the thumper to try and increase bready notes. Wound up keeping 3 qts at 50% because the tails were delicious, aging on medium toast oak.

After two weeks the cinnamon is by FAR the most notable taste in the jar, with some overripe peach, and faint to nonexistent bready notes.
Chevystairs
Novice

Post by Chevystairs »

Whoa whoa, relax man. Your assessment of Chris is incorrect, he’s given me and several others great advice and insights and is just trying to help. He also cares about being precise with terminology, which is not a bad thing. Nothing personal.
[/quote]

You're probably right I'm a bit of a spaz, but that probably won't ever change. I appreciate any good advice from people willing to give it. i must have interpreted it wrong through the text. it was just my observation