Collected tails in the mash

All styles of whiskey. This is for all-grain mashes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

DavidG
Novice

Collected tails in the mash

Post by DavidG »

I'm currently running my 6th batch (almost all whiskeys.) I've collected the leftover tails (about a quart) from previous batches and almost poured them in the kettle before I started this run. I stopped and decided to ask the question here before I do anything. Is that a bad idea? Will too much of the off-flavors come through? I'm hoping that with a clean distilling process, I can strip the off-flavors and just recapture some of the ethanol that has just been sitting on the shelf.
Also, I've only asked a couple of questions on the forum so far but I very much appreciate the depth of answers I've gotten. This is a fantastic resource.
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Collected tails in the mash

Post by Sporacle »

It's quite common to add the fients from a previous spirit run/runs into your current spirit run, some guys do this every time.
Just be aware that if they are from different mash bills then they will impart a portion of those flavours into the current spirit run, this could be a good thing or a bad thing dependant on what you are looking for.
Personally I wouldn't throw say rum fients into a all grain spirit run.
If they are a mix of flavours you don't want to impart into your spirit run then maybe keep them.for a all fients run
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
DavidG
Novice

Post by DavidG »

An all feints run is probably the safe way to go, at least until I get a few more runs under my belt. I think the overall flavor profile of the mixed tails is ok, nothing too funky in any of them.
I read a post somewhere in here where someone takes the backset while it's still hot and fills a few mason jars (makes a nice sealed jar) and then uses those in future runs. I'll try this when I make my next honey bear bourbon.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

I always incorporate backset into the next ferment when running consecutive bourbon batches. I reserve some of the distiller's beer, then strip the rest. Make a 25-30% abv spirit charge using low wines, reserved beer, and feints from the previous spirit. Make a generous fores/heads cut, collect hearts until the parrot floats around 60%, then strip the rest out as feints for the next run.

Lately, my spirits have been:
2G low wines @ 25-30%+1G Reserved beer @ 8.5%+1G Feints @ 44% = (2*28)+(8.5)+(44)=108.5
108.5/4= 4G @ 27.125 % abv in a 5G copper pot.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

DavidG wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:36 am I've collected the leftover tails (about a quart) from previous batches and almost poured them in the kettle before I started this run
Just for clarity, are you referring to tails from a spirit run, or the backset from a stripping run?
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
DavidG
Novice

Post by DavidG »

The tails that I collected but didn't mix into the hearts. The second comment I made in the original post was an afterthought. Just a good idea and easy way to store some of teh backset for future use - no freezer required.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

DavidG wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:35 amI read a post somewhere in here where someone takes the backset while it's still hot and fills a few mason jars (makes a nice sealed jar) and then uses those in future runs.
I’ve done that; canning some backset for future mashes. It will seal and prevent mold or other “stuff” from growing in it, even when stored for months. Remember, the pH of backset will be low (quite acidic), so I use the canned backset to acidify a future all-grain mash. Works great.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
SDEngr1
Novice

Post by SDEngr1 »

DavidG wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:11 am The tails that I collected but didn't mix into the hearts. The second comment I made in the original post was an afterthought. Just a good idea and easy way to store some of teh backset for future use - no freezer required.
Store the backset in glass or stainless steel containers. I've had it eat through plastic and make a huge mess.