Zubrowka or Bison Grass Vodka

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Zubrowka or Bison Grass Vodka

Post by Odin »

Zubrowka is a special kind of vodka from Poland.

It is made from rye vodka and ... bison grass.

The grass is called "bison grass", because it is the favourite food of European Bisons AKA Wisents. In English the normal name is Sweet Grass (sometimes: Holy Grass). The grass contains lots of Coumarin. And that gives off a pleasant taste.

Put like three stalks of sweet grass in a 750 mls bottle of 43% rye vodka, and you will see the colour change. Light yellow. And the Coumarin taste comes over really nice.

The rye vodka can be made using my Rye Bread Whiskey. Or you can make an UJ, where you replace the corn by flaked rye. Okay,m don't forget to fractionate and/or filter it. Other wise it will become a ... Bison Whiskey? And that's not what we are after.

Dilute the rye to 43%. And put 750 mls in a 750 mls bottle. Now add the three stalks. Set it away at room temperature for about a month.

After that month, start sipping it. Not all sweet grass has the same amount of Coumarin. Some need a bit longer, others don't. But when you feel you like the taste the grass is giving off to the rye vodka, put that bottle in the fridge and start drinking it.

The stalks make a nice twist. They can stay in the bottle.

Good luck!

BTW: sweet grass should be available in America too, since it is used by native Americans for basket making as well as religious rituals.

Here's a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hierochloe_odorata" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

And here's a picture of Zubrowka

Odin.
Attachments
Bottle of original Zubrowka with a stalk of Bison Grass ...
Bottle of original Zubrowka with a stalk of Bison Grass ...
imgres.jpg (5.2 KiB) Viewed 4580 times
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Just a Biker
Novice

Re: Zubrowka or Bison Grass Vodka

Post by Just a Biker »

Sounds interesting, I am going to give this a try Odin. One of the advantages living here in “Native America”
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Great! Let us know how it goes!

Odin.

Edit: with a picture of where this grass grows ...
Attachments
veenreukgras.gif
veenreukgras.gif (15.28 KiB) Viewed 4563 times
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Love this picture!
Attachments
imgres.jpg
imgres.jpg (9.13 KiB) Viewed 4561 times
Shae
Novice

Post by Shae »

My wife just bought a bottle of this from our local liquor store. She loves it but is disappointed with the brand she got. The brand in your first post is the one she likes best.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Easy source of Bison Grass?

Here you go:

http://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Grass-Braid ... 0101THCA/2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Alternative approach to making this recipe? Via essences.

How to make one (thank you, Moonshiner X for this addition)?

Put 500 mls of 60% neutral/vodka in an Erlemeyer. Add 10 grams of Bison Grass (cut in pieces of like half an inch). Stir. Now warm-up a pan with around 60 degrees C water and put the Erlemeyer in. Warm Erlemeyer contents up to 50 degrees C (no more!). Now put a plug in the Erlemeyer to effectively close it and take the Erlemeyer out of the pan. Let it cool at room temp, swirling the contents every 5 to 10 minutes. It will become green. Then it will become dark green. Now filter out the Bison Grass and use the essence as follows:

- 20 mls of Bison Grass to 1 liter of 40% vodka.
- Let it age for at least a week.
- Bison Grass vodka ready to go!

Odin.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Today, my bison grass arived! Smells wonderful!

I cut 10 grams into small, half inch long bits and added it to 500 mls of 96% rye based vodka.

Turns green in a matter of minutes. Here's a picture:

Regards, Odin.
Attachments
Making Bison Grass Vodka Essence ...
Making Bison Grass Vodka Essence ...
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Okay. Just got some advice from the Polish. And they should know. In order to get over a less harsh, more mellow taste, they advice:

- Take 170 mls of 50% neutral/vodka;
- Add 10 grams of bison grass that's cut into pieces;
- Add a lid and let it macerate for 10 days at room temperature;
- Filter;
- You now have a bit over 150 mls of essence;
- Add 15 mls per liter of 40% (rye) vodka;
- Add 5 grams of sugar;
- Give the bottle a week rest.

Odin.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

And here a great Zubrowka cocktail ... Polish Kiss!

http://wp.me/p3pXcR-ek" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Happy new year to all of you!

Regards, Odin.
kaziel
Swill Maker

Post by kaziel »

Alternative name of that drink is Tatanka (in movie Dances with Wolves Native Americans called Bisons Tatanka). I've got Bison grass growing in my garden gives great smell from spring to late summer. You can also make ice cubes from apple juice and cover them with Żubrówka.
There is also similar vodka to Żubrówka named Turówka it has a bit different taste and it's made from rye vodka with addition of Melilotus officinalis. Old time shiners in Poland also use (dry) Trifolium pratense L for maceration you can also smell Coumarin in there but not so much taste is much milder.
Vodka consumed wisely is harmless even in large amounts.
My all stainless 2" VM still
My all stainless 2" pot still with Dimroth condenser SS Pot Still
My malt mill - two roller - DIY
My keggle - mash/filter tun
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Thanks for sharing, Kaziel! I think those frozen apple ice cubes are a great idea. Yes, I make my Zubrowka with rye vodka! At 40%.

Regards, Odin.
kaziel
Swill Maker

Post by kaziel »

Any thoughts about adding Bison grass to apple ferment I've got plenty? Or maybe if you are making apple brandy like in http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 11&t=33428 you could add few blades on the end of your condenser so the distillate will flow on them to collection bottle?
Attachments
zubranko_rozpiety.jpg
DuckofDeath
Rumrunner

Post by DuckofDeath »

Isn't bison grass booze banned in the usa?
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

It was. Due to high coumarin content levels.

Not anymore, If I understood it correctly.

Regards, Odin.
DuckofDeath
Rumrunner

Post by DuckofDeath »

I heard it is really good. I tried to find some years ago and was told it was banned. Good to hear I can finally try some :)
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

You should! It is really nice!

Odin.
sweeps
Swill Maker

Post by sweeps »

I could be wrong, but I think bison grass (like tonka beans) is still illegal in the USA as a food additive, but there are coumarin-free versions of zubrowka available.
kaziel
Swill Maker

Post by kaziel »

http://www.zuvodka.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow?
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Shiiiiit!!! So I decided to make 20 liters of Zubrowka. You know, enough to last me through this year and with the possibility to give away a few bottles. Not even halfway through the process of filling up JD bottles with Zubrowka, the big glas container slips out of my hand, falls on the ground, and breaks. 12 or 13 liters of Zubrowka on the floor. Hope it does not stain.

That's what I call alcohol abuse!

Odin.
sweeps
Swill Maker

Post by sweeps »

I think I would run out of curse words if something like that happened to me - and I speak three languages!

My condolences.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Hell, Sweeps, I speak 6 and I ran out of curse words!

And just to think this was all part of greater scheme. To distill the stuff I like in larger quantities, so to have some stack.

Yeah, right. On the floor!

Odin.
Oatmeal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oatmeal »

A Scottish flatmate introduced this to me some time back.

Stuck a finger sized chunk of braided sweet grass in a bottle of (kale) "vodka" and promptly forgot about it.

Just remembered and mixed it with some apple juice.

So. Good.

Absolutely worth it!
Through the magic of alchemy, our spirits live on.
Metalking00
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Metalking00 »

I was given a bottle of this by a polish customer once. Definitely my favorite vodka. Ill have to order some of that grass
Stilljoy McFlavour
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stilljoy McFlavour »

Zubrowka is also sold as Grasovka in some parts of the EU. It is the exact same flavored Polish wodka though.
As a know-nothing noob I added some of the grass to my first ever distillate (Birdwatchers). I found the result amazing and delicious and still have some in my archive. It definitely inspired me to keep on stillin' ! ;)

Some say the color and flavor is not from the grass, but from the bison that relieved itself on it.
tombombadil
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tombombadil »

I wonder if the flavor of tanka beans is similar? They also have s bunch of coumarin. After my next Vodka run I'll have to do a side by side...