Rum with a twist

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

NorthWoodsAb
Swill Maker

Rum with a twist

Post by NorthWoodsAb »

So when I joined the group 3 or 4 years ago my first post was about trying to recreate my Dad's recipe. He made "shine" molasses recipe, which I know now as a rum recipe. But he used oats, which none of the relatives knew about.
So after reading through the HBbourbon thread and reading how oats were added to the corn, then let rest for a while, I decided to do the same thing with the Hook Rum recipe that I'm on Gen 7 of.
I do a 85L wash, 100L boiler.
Added 2.25kg of rolled oats to my initial wash. Heated molasses, dimerrar and stillage to 180*f added oats and let rest for 2hrs before cooling with water to 30*c and pitching yeast. (Sorry about using both C and F* but as Canadian I can use both)
The initial wash had a definite difference to previous batches.
On strip run there was no comparison between this batch and previous runs.
Much smoother, bigger hearts return, and what I'd been looking for, for years Not a true rum,but what I'd been looking for.
This is the beauty of HD Forum. The basics are all here. The encouragement from members is second to none. Experimenting with "tried and true" is not discouraged.
I'm a happy camper. After probably 15 variations of the Hook Rum recipe , I have samples I can proudly share with my sister and cousins that set ste me on the road to home distilling and finding this group.
Thank you Brothers and Sisters.
Cheers.
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Rum with a twist

Post by Dougmatt »

Very interesting.

Conversion in units looks like 5lbs In 22.5G or 1.1 pounds in a 5 gallon mash.

Might have to try this in a batch. Thanks for sharing!
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.

That’s it. No more reading!
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

So you're saying that your daddy never shared his recipe with you?
NorthWoodsAb
Swill Maker

Post by NorthWoodsAb »

Salt Must Flow wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:08 pm So you're saying that your daddy never shared his recipe with you?
I used to help him as a kid in the basement but he died when I was 10 not quite old enough to understand the whole process.

No worries about comment friend. Shit happens in life.
Last edited by NorthWoodsAb on Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

NorthWoodsAb wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:35 pm
Salt Must Flow wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:08 pm So you're saying that your daddy never shared his recipe with you?
I used to help him as a kid in the basement but he died when I was 10 not quite old enough to understand the whole process.
Got it, sorry, I figured as much and almost deleted that post right after I posted it. I should have deleted it, sorry. I should have known better.
NorthWoodsAb
Swill Maker

Post by NorthWoodsAb »

Salt Must Flow wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:48 pm
NorthWoodsAb wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:35 pm
Got it, sorry, I figured as much and almost deleted that post right after I posted it. I should have deleted it, sorry. I should have known better.
No worries about comment. He did plant a seed that lead me here and a hobby I now enjoy in my basement and share with my kids when they are interested enough to come down.
NorthWoodsAb
Swill Maker

Post by NorthWoodsAb »

Dougmatt wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:07 pm Very interesting.

Conversion in units looks like 5lbs In 22.5G or 1.1 pounds in a 5 gallon mash.

Might have to try this in a batch. Thanks for sharing!
That work out about right. 1#/5gal batch.
Cheers