nobody knows nothing

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

nano
Novice

nobody knows nothing

Post by nano »

Definitely do not have a BS in Organic Chemistry and have not made the the best high proof neutral I've ever had (as evidenced by a smooth shot followed by 'the fire' 8n the chest and the lack of a classic hangover) I believe everclear leaves some higher alcohols in.

I'd like to do this again someday, but do it right. (Drove myself crazy doing multiple runs and carefully smelling out each stage) with a proper VM reflux set up.

Figure I should start by learning to weld (useful in other areas and will make it much cheaper). May be a while before I post anything substantive. But I thought I'd introduce myself, I am a nano; a psudonym of a figment of an imagination.

I totally like to seem cool pn the internet, and may eventually make claims and post pictures as a desperate attempt to be liked. These should not be construed as admission of anything, I definitely unsarcastically never do anything interesting with my life but may claim I do.

Anyways, that's me, or not; you decide paranoid rebel or storyteller. Cheers! :)
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Re: nobody knows nothing

Post by StillerBoy »

Nano..
Base on your other post, I would subject that you spend time learning the hobby before advising others to distill from a pressure cooker..

But if you are incline to learn, HD is a good place to start..

Welcome to HD

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
nano
Novice

Post by nano »

That post was mostly in reference to my past experience. I've learned much since, but still am always eager to learn more. Haven't found anything I don't understand yet, except that column filler is usually better than plates at small scale.

My goal is VM reflux with as tall a column as possible. I'd like to try plates for easy reuse (guess that's one question, plates and filler on combination) but another goal (modularity, I want to be able to completely disassemble and get to every part to clean) will make it so I can do my own expirence there.

What exactly about my other post seemed naive?
-That I used an aluminum pressure cooker my first time? (Admittedly an avoidable mistake, but was a valuable expirence)
-My insistence that the set up would involve multiple runs, slow and small collection if they want to get good alcohol
-My hesitancy, at first, that the OP use it?
-Or my conclusion that (with proper materials) he mine as well.

If it helps, I wrote it as a draft, and added some before posting.

I'm not a practicing alcohol distiller, but I have a considerable amount of pride in my knowledge of the process and theory.

I don't exactly see what your getting at, I think most of what I have to learn is practical stuff like welding, of course I will become better at the expiriment with expirience and too get to azeotrope (my ultimate goal) there may be some variables I am overlooking.

I guess what I am trying to say is, in the future I plan on getting back into this. I didn't expect much from my introduction and anecdote, but if there seems to be a glaring hole in my understanding that is specific enough to point out, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. But if in general I just come off like an ameature, we'll just have to see how it goes when the vapor hits the column!
nano
Novice

Post by nano »

And I did not advise him too use it, I Said if it had proper materials already put together that it would work, which it will. I also made sure to cite a previous post about worm diameter.

But I will no longer contribute if it is a thankless task. I care not for reputation or internet points, I read a statement on its own merit. I stand by my opinion that if it is all put together and safe, he mine as well try it until he gets fed up.

I thought it would be fun to be on here with others passionate about it, but don't plan on getting involved for awhile.

EDIT:

On re-read, it seems you suggested the exact same, and even advised a specific gasket......I really don't understand what ussue you take with my advise, was it too long, did some if my cautions and presuppositions go overlooked; or is it simply my lack of internet points? I am quite curious, as I don't always read the tone of my type correctly (my ex will vouche for that lol).
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

Pressure cooker? My little air pot that I bought for small experiments has worked well. I run a few 1 gallon stripping runs and end up with a gallon for the spirit run. With a variable power supply I can run it slow and make some pretty good cuts. For anyone starting out I would suggest simple and safe and then save up for larger equipment as you can afford it. It would be fun to build one but do your homework. There's a lot of information here on the site to steer you in the right direction
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

nano wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:46 pm ...I really don't understand what ussue you take with my advise, was it too long, did some if my cautions and presuppositions go overlooked; or is it simply my lack of internet points?
Stillerboy has a bad habit of upsetting people.......he needs to be more careful in his replys......dont pay any attention to his BS.
Its a far better and nicer place when he keeps his fingers away from the keyboard.
Shine_Dad
Novice

Post by Shine_Dad »

Nano seems a bit trollish IMO.... I mean he actively basically described himself as a 'personality' ...
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

nano wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:38 pm I'm not a practicing alcohol distiller, but I have a considerable amount of pride in my knowledge of the process and theory.
There's where the bullshit is.. advising others with no experience, and takes pride of such, outstanding.. knowledge and experience are two different things.. but maybe I'm the one mistaken..

And I'm in agreement that he's a trollist..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
nano
Novice

Post by nano »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:11 pm
nano wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:46 pm ...I really don't understand what ussue you take with my advise, was it too long, did some if my cautions and presuppositions go overlooked; or is it simply my lack of internet points?
Stillerboy has a bad habit of upsetting people.......he needs to be more careful in his replys......dont pay any attention to his BS.
Its a far better and nicer place when he keeps his fingers away from the keyboard.
Thank you, I remember none of this but do appreciate your positivity.

It seems back then I let the negativity get to me, how silly, and only 2 years ago..... life is quite interesting some times. I do wish him the best, and yourself

I am thinking if making a thread (I'll look on site, but it's kind if a specific goal) on it, but say hypothetically a buddy of mine had some cash. Do you know a good hookup on a proper pot still that can later be upgraded with a VM column?

He doesn't have an ungodly amount to go like SS barrel to triclamp VM column, but modularity would be nice...... oh yeah, thiss probably off topic....... to post or not to post. ......... eh, why not: who would it bother, you seem cool
MooseMan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooseMan »

Nano, start a separate thread on the build you intend to start and it should get some input.
Make Booze, not War!