buffalo trace - white dog.

What do you drink, and how do you drink it?

Moderator: Site Moderator

WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

buffalo trace - white dog.

Post by WooTeck »

Sittingb in a friends bar sipping some white dog. Tastes good. Smooth as could ever be asked. Easy sipping @ 62,%. Wish I had a bottle of this stuff.

Any and else tried it? What Was your thought?
likker liker
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: buffalo trace - white dog.

Post by likker liker »

I was there years ago about 4 or 5 And had the guide ask (standing next to the still )if I'd like a taste. Of course I said yes!!!! Wow that is great! I'd say the poof us in the range of 160 to 170? Great tasting, I could taste the corn and the rye.
but when I got to the tasting room and had a chance to try it out of the bottle after it was cut, it had lost lot of flavor :(
I have had it again (store bought ) it's just OK , not my first or second choice.
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Had some in a fancy bar a couple of months ago.... Glad I didn't pay for it. Couldn't finnish it, could only taste heads :thumbdown:
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

+1 on the heads
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

I woukd have to disagree right there bob. I couldn't pick up much of heads and they normally stand out like a kick in the balls. Tasted very similar to the Few that I have made only cleaner and smoother.

Sitting sipping I could drink it all night if I had a ba'll of cash to hand.

Once I can make noticeably better or sit down to others i wil think this is good sipping.....

cue offers to ship good stuff... I'll pay the shipping :shifty:
Appalachia-Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Appalachia-Shiner »

I had some at Buffalo Trace when I was there in the Spring. Tasted like UJSSM to me. I think my Hearts Jar is better than that stuff right out of the still.
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Woo, maybe I had a bad bottle, but after tasting 60+ bottles from S3 which where all exceptional, I can tell you I did taste heads. Very very bad heads. I don't think of myself as a whiskey snob, but I cannot drink very many commercial brands anymore. It's a curse I tell you!
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

Bigbob wrote: but after tasting 60+ bottles from S3 which where all exceptional
way to rub it in there bob :( :lol:,

was thinking maybe theres good and bad batches... then again being a smoker and only having a few runs under my belt may be the difference
Usge
retired

Post by Usge »

The bottle I had was wide on the cut and a bit raspy on the tongue. Also, every bottle I've seen always looks slightly cloudy...which would also imply a wide cut into tails...not just heads. But, it was interesting to get to taste it.
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

Ok Bob I'm sitting here with my head dowed and tail wagging. Sitting in the pub sipping the white dog. Not quite as smooth and awesome as I remember :oops:.

:econfused: must have been rose tinted glasses. First ever commercial example. I'll stand by it being pretty good better than many commercials out there an. FAR FAR better than the worst the have in stock (tin ciup *cough *cough) and tbh for a 60 abv will highly impressed. Almost no burn straight JD straight on the other hand :silent:.

Anyways thanks y'all for helping push my taste buds in the right direction.

WooTeck (only slightly inebriated... See think all spelling is correct :shifty: )
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

No apologys needed, I use to like most any commercial bourbon. Since I've started this hobby I've just got educated! Didn't mean to dig about S3 either, was a special few days and hopefully you'll make next years!
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

WooTeck wrote:
Bigbob wrote: but after tasting 60+ bottles from S3 which where all exceptional
way to rub it in there bob :( :lol:,
im just gonna bring this up again. :esad:
Bigbob wrote:No apologys needed, I use to like most any commercial bourbon. Since I've started this hobby I've just got educated! Didn't mean to dig about S3 either, was a special few days and hopefully you'll make next years!
its all good thats my favorite part of this forum... education, education edcucation.

learn and improve. (to the the tune of share and enjoy from the hitch hikers guide to the galaxy radio series)
thanks for your input. and yes bob as soon as i know when the next one is as where i will put plans in place to be there. trying to encourage my recently retired father in to a trip to ky :think:. well ether that or ill be selling what i can to get there shine not included
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

Hey folks I've been trying to get this for years in Colorado and luckily was just passing through bourbon country and picked up a bottle of their number one mash.
If my memory serves me right, when I get into this hobby four or five years ago, I remember trying some and thinking it was god-awful paint thinner. However this new batch that I picked up is so smooth and clean, I'm almost wondering if that's what they're actually putting in the barrels?

Does anyone think that they took tighter cuts for the white dog in the last few years? I know my senses have gotten way more articulate, so it would make me question that I thought it smelled like acetone years ago. after 5 years, I know what heads and tails smell like, but how could their heads cut would be so minor after all these years? Something does not add up to me. I can't imagine the barrel being responsible for that acetone on the nose, and heat on the tongue, that I pick up on almost every commercial bourbon.

I tried to get a hold of them, but they won't answer the phone. Can anyone weigh in on this if they know? Is it likely that they cleaned up their white dog over the years? Both seem equally illogical to me, considering how my senses have improved. It would be unlikely they would clean up their white dog, right?

I wanted to test this to see if I could get my cuts closer to commercial bourbon by just cleaning up a little bit from commercial, by going looser than what I normally do
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

Tried it again tonight. Heads and tails much more noticeable. How did my palate change that much that fast?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

RockinRockies wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:15 pm How did my palate change that much that fast?
Commercial booze never tastes the same again once you have some experience at making your own.
Your always on the look out for heads n tails and other weird flavours......often you find them without thinking about them or looking for them.
Life is really never the same again :lol: Some of the commercial things I once loved I cant stand now.....I guess that is the down side of it in some ways.
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:52 am
RockinRockies wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:15 pm How did my palate change that much that fast?
Commercial booze never tastes the same again once you have some experience at making your own.
Your always on the look out for heads n tails and other weird flavours......often you find them without thinking about them or looking for them.
Life is really never the same again :lol: Some of the commercial things I once loved I cant stand now.....I guess that is the down side of it in some ways.
This has been my biggest struggle, because I've become so accustomed to the commercial bourbon profile, that I want to get close to it, but better. I don't know how to do it without adding slight heads and tails. I miss you for me as soon as I smell that wet dog I'm not putting anything in after that and maybe I need to go further down and see if there's something interesting but even the borderline jars to me when I add a borderline jar on a late hearts always ends up disappointing me on the back end flavor profile.
BlueSasquatch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BlueSasquatch »

See I had some Buffalo Trace White dog in 2021 and thought it was excellent, I'll approach it with more of a critical eye tonight as I almost always leave bottles at 20% full so that I can have tiny sips much later rather than buying a new bottle. Anyways, it has an extreme buttery smell and smooth taste to it, sure at like 60% it packs a punch and some heat, but I have grown to enjoy the higher 55-60 more than the 40-45 ABV ranges.

Small new distillery near me, opened up and sells white whiskey, and I feel they were quite similar in the strength of corn flavor, and butter. I'm still not getting anything with that strong of flavors, the strongest things about my drinks seem to be from the oak, more than the grains, which leaves me with relatively little flavor as a white-dog. Really unsure of what it could be, started collecting more tails on the strips, which has helped a noticeable amount, but not quite enough. I ferment on grain, and distill off-grain, 6 gallon kentucky pot still. Starting to wonder if it's something to do with my mash process, have done some tried and true, I still enjoy and drink most of my stuff, but for as much as everyone boasts about being better than commercial, I'm not quite there yet.
"In the silence of the study one can discuss theories, but only in practice one becomes an artist" - Meunier
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

It has been a while since I've tried the BT new make. I'll have to fish it out of the back of the cupboard. In the time since I opened it, I've bought bottles of Buffalo Trace and Stagg Jr, so I have some reference to what that new make becomes when it 'grows up'.

Something to note, every bottle of Stagg is made from BT's mash bill #1, which (by legal requirement) cannot go into the barrel higher than 125 proof (62.5% ABV). The ABV is always higher than that on the finished spirit because of water loss during maturation. This absolutely has an impact on the finished product's profile.
Getsmokin
Swill Maker

Post by Getsmokin »

BlueSasquatch wrote:See I had some Buffalo Trace White dog in 2021 and thought it was excellent, I'll approach it with more of a critical eye tonight as I almost always leave bottles at 20% full so that I can have tiny sips much later rather than buying a new bottle. Anyways, it has an extreme buttery smell and smooth taste to it, sure at like 60% it packs a punch and some heat, but I have grown to enjoy the higher 55-60 more than the 40-45 ABV ranges.

Small new distillery near me, opened up and sells white whiskey, and I feel they were quite similar in the strength of corn flavor, and butter. I'm still not getting anything with that strong of flavors, the strongest things about my drinks seem to be from the oak, more than the grains, which leaves me with relatively little flavor as a white-dog. Really unsure of what it could be, started collecting more tails on the strips, which has helped a noticeable amount, but not quite enough. I ferment on grain, and distill off-grain, 6 gallon kentucky pot still. Starting to wonder if it's something to do with my mash process, have done some tried and true, I still enjoy and drink most of my stuff, but for as much as everyone boasts about being better than commercial, I'm not quite there yet.
From my experience stripping on grain yields a lot more grain flavors than off.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

BlueSasquatch wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:31 am See I had some Buffalo Trace White dog in 2021 and thought it was excellent, I'll approach it with more of a critical eye tonight as I almost always leave bottles at 20% full so that I can have tiny sips much later rather than buying a new bottle. Anyways, it has an extreme buttery smell and smooth taste to it, sure at like 60% it packs a punch and some heat, but I have grown to enjoy the higher 55-60 more than the 40-45 ABV ranges.

Continuously making the same recipe and recycling feints?
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

BlueSasquatch wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:31 am See I had some Buffalo Trace White dog...., but for as much as everyone boasts about being better than commercial, I'm not quite there yet.
I've been at this for 5 years. I'm more confused than ever. Here's why:

My AG feints had so much more complexity (after a year that I left sitting on oak sticks) compared to any hearts cut on oak. That's with no hearts at all, and it was way closer to commercial.

My white spirits heart cut AG Booners was one dimensional- think exactly buttered popcorn jelly belly beans. But very delicious and drinkable right away.

Everything (Brandy to smoked whiskey to bourbon) on T-Pee oak sticks method had the exact same oak profile after 2+ years.. Boring, predictable, and underwhelming. Not a slight against his method, but rather my interpretation of what it produces. I'm not a fan of oak tea.

15 gallon barrel minimum is so worth the effort even with tighter cuts. I dunno. Like I said, this is so confusing. Only time can tell and that's a serious investment
WRMJ397
Novice

Post by WRMJ397 »

likker liker wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:24 am I was there years ago about 4 or 5 And had the guide ask (standing next to the still )if I'd like a taste. Of course I said yes!!!! Wow that is great! I'd say the poof us in the range of 160 to 170? Great tasting, I could taste the corn and the rye.
but when I got to the tasting room and had a chance to try it out of the bottle after it was cut, it had lost lot of flavor :(
I have had it again (store bought ) it's just OK , not my first or second choice.
Are you sure the "white Dog" was a rye mash....I was under the impression that the "white Dog" was the Corn/Wheat mash....but I have not been to the distillery.
BlueSasquatch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BlueSasquatch »

WRMJ397 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:14 pm
Are you sure the "white Dog" was a rye mash....I was under the impression that the "white Dog" was the Corn/Wheat mash....but I have not been to the distillery.
Buffalo trace offers like 3 different white-dogs, based on mash bill.
"In the silence of the study one can discuss theories, but only in practice one becomes an artist" - Meunier
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

This is probably sacrilege but I've gone back to enjoying the complexity of "crap" commercial products. I can't mimic it. I just don't get drunk on it anymore. Tight cuts on my barrels are boring the hell out of me. Maybe needs more time
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

RockinRockies wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:04 pm
This is probably sacrilege but I've gone back to enjoying the complexity of "crap" commercial products. I can't mimic it. I just don't get drunk on it anymore. Tight cuts on my barrels are boring the hell out of me. Maybe needs more time
Yep.
For some complexity ya have to be a bit more loose on cuts and lay it down longer than the average hobbyist is willing to do. And I ain't talkin about the swill for $11.
Tight cuts for drink me soon likker.
Many on this board would simply shred Baller. But if you slow your brain down and take in what you are actually tasting,,,it will definitely give you a lot to ponder over.
Attachments
20210204_184527.jpg
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

LWTCS wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:19 pm Yep.
For some complexity ya have to be a bit more loose on cuts and lay it down longer than the average hobbyist is willing to do. And I ain't talkin about the swill for $11.
Tight cuts for drink me soon likker.
Many on this board would simply shred Baller. But if you slow your brain down and take in what you are actually tasting,,,it will definitely give you a lot to ponder over.
:clap:
Archee72
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Archee72 »

Hey RR
Do you also put some of your shine in glass with oak dominos/ vanilla bean etc? Not just in barrels? Your cuts can be a bit wider then if you want to experiment? You may be able to get closer to the commercial stuff then if you so choose?
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Well, hell, what do I know? I prefer a smooth sip, cold. 46 abv is the gold spot for me. No burn, just mellow goodness. If I tipple a bit much after a trip to the local for a beer (or 3) and a sip at home of a Friday I want to be awake and functional in the morning. Off the shelf just doesn’t cut any more. Blue, maybe. But a personal blend of corn, barley, rye, and oat is for me.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

Archee72 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:34 pm
Hey RR
Do you also put some of your shine in glass with oak dominos/ vanilla bean etc? Not just in barrels? Your cuts can be a bit wider then if you want to experiment? You may be able to get closer to the commercial stuff then if you so choose?
I used oak sticks the Tee Pee way for years. No matter what spirit I made, it all had the same wood profile. So I started picking up used 15 gallon barrels, 30s, and I am grabbing two 7's for free. But I need to take a hiatus, possible permanent vacation from alcohol. Luckily, I'm not really interested in this hobby at the time being and I'll let all those barrels age for a few years. I've tasted already after 6-8 months on some and it's already more complex than sticks
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

Perhaps our liquor is what liquor is supposed to taste like, clean and good. Commercial guys are making complexity out of the yern to maximize profit and not waste the otherwise undrinkables.
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.