My first everything !

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

ratdog01
Novice

Re: My first everything !

Post by ratdog01 »

looks good
time for a happy dance
JLP IV
Bootlegger

Post by JLP IV »

:D thank you
Ratdog please tell me you chose your name from Bobby's band ?!?

Finally got around to running the first barrel I made that got the lacto infection. Low yield that was my lone attempt with cracked corn too.
I'm sanitizing the barrel many times before I use it again and it'll stay out of rotation for a few months I expect.

Very happy with the taste on the fine ground corn mashes !
Prairiepiss wrote: Good thing we aren't bound by rules. And we can make it however we want. With whatever we want. As long as we don't talk to much about it in the open.
DAD300 wrote: And...ferment more and more often, always have something ready to distill.
JLP IV
Bootlegger

Post by JLP IV »

I need a better condenser asap !
Since this one is welded I can't just swap. I'm gonna start collecting the pieces I need to get what I want this time around.
Screenshot_20220919-212224_Chrome.jpg
Gonna go with a 3" riser
3-2 reducer with the 2" elbows after that and on into the shotgun. I don't know whos picture this is as it was sent to me in a message as we talked still upgrades. I need it !
Prairiepiss wrote: Good thing we aren't bound by rules. And we can make it however we want. With whatever we want. As long as we don't talk to much about it in the open.
DAD300 wrote: And...ferment more and more often, always have something ready to distill.
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

Cool thread after a while doing this I still get excited when its time to do a run👍
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

JLP IV wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:28 pm I need a better condenser asap !
Since this one is welded I can't just swap. I'm gonna start collecting the pieces I need to get what I want this time around.

Gonna go with a 3" riser
3-2 reducer with the 2" elbows after that and on into the shotgun. I don't know whos picture this is as it was sent to me in a message as we talked still upgrades. I need it !
I know exactly who's still that is! LOL
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
BlueSasquatch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BlueSasquatch »

Deplorable wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:13 pm I know exactly who's still that is! LOL
You might be a distiller when. . . . you recognize other distillers by photos of their still. :lolno:
"In the silence of the study one can discuss theories, but only in practice one becomes an artist" - Meunier
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

JLP IV wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:28 pm I need a better condenser asap !

Gonna go with a 3" riser
I'm all for everyone having a shotgun condenser, but just curious ... what's wrong with your Liebig condenser? Not enough knockdown power for stripping runs?

Do you recycle your water? If so, have you tried increasing your water flow?
JLP IV
Bootlegger

Post by JLP IV »

You hit the nail on the head Salt. My stripping runs are slooooooowww

Likker still yummy though !! Haha
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

BlueSasquatch wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:01 am
Deplorable wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:13 pm I know exactly who's still that is! LOL
You might be a distiller when. . . . you recognize other distillers by photos of their still. :lolno:
Or.... I spend too much time on this site. But seriously Twisted's photos are very easy to pick out.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

+1 to that Brother. Them shotguns and collectors are unmistakable. And they work pretty damn good too :wink:
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
JLP IV
Bootlegger

Post by JLP IV »

I've been more consumed with the words on this site and cramming them into my brain. Pictures I skimmed mostly. I guess now that I'm making a quality product I am immediately happy with I could slow down on the reading and start to enjoy the scenery around here a little more.
I'm at the point where I've read so much I simply have to keep doing the thing. It really is nice to have all the information here. I damn well appreciate every single person on here who has contributed meaningful information.

Oh yeah, new still in the works. :wink:
Literally only used the one I have for 3 spirit runs hahahaha
JLP IV
Bootlegger

Post by JLP IV »

Guys. I'm running a barrel that finished with a bunch of oil on top of it. I skimmed a third of the oil off and added it to my boiler with 12gal of the same mash.
MY GOD the smell coming off the still on this second gallon of strip ! I am 100% going to take a sip as soon as the jug is full !!

Here's how she looks in the ferment barrel as I run it.
20221008_141400.jpg
20221008_141406.jpg
JLP IV
Bootlegger

Post by JLP IV »

Smells fully of caramel then corn followed by butter and if I'm not mistaken pure sexyness !
JLP IV
Bootlegger

Post by JLP IV »

And my first and most likely last (pot still)upgrade !

Arrived 10mins ago and the vinegar is already heating up !!!

Massive thanks to a certain well loved and respected sir ! <3
20221028_144433.jpg
20221028_145256.jpg
20221028_145958.jpg
ratdog01
Novice

Post by ratdog01 »

Hi JPL
Sorry no the name came from my dog as she looks like a big rat and kills anything that moves

good looking still
enjoy
RD01
JLP IV
Bootlegger

Post by JLP IV »

My recipe/method (poached from PS)

65 lbs corn
40gal of water
Start with water from the well at 55F
Add all the corn while constantly mixing to cold water to help avoid clumps.
Add HTL
Heat mash up and hold at 190F for an hour
Cool with wort chiller to 150F
Top off water in my tun back to where the original corn line is
Add 5.2 pH stabilizer
Once mixed in for 15mins I Add my GL
Cook at 150F for an hour.
Cool to 90F with wort chiller
Pitch Fleischmann yeast

I stopped checking OG because I just don't care what it is. The only time I proof is at the end when I turn all my likker into 80 proof for my consumption

Purpose of this post is to talk about my first mistake
I followed everything to the letter except I forgot to adjust my phone
Finished the mash and then realized I missed the adjustment. So I figured what the hell and I added the stabilizer and another round of GL before I pitched my yeast.
That produced pure magic ! My best run yet
I'm going to make my next mash the very same way. I hope it turns out the very same. If so, I'll let yall know.
I might skip the first GL addition... hell I'll try it both ways actually. I REALLY want every batch to taste like that one though