Does acid type matter for distillation

Moderator: Site Moderator

hawkwing
Swill Maker

Does acid type matter for distillation

Post by hawkwing »

I made wine from grapes. I am planning to make a second wine for the purposes of distillation. I will likely have to ad acid to bring the pH within proper range. Usually tartaric is added for wine however, citric is way cheaper. So I’m wondering if there is a difference in the taste of the distillate based on the type of acid used?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Does acid type matter for distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

Neither acid will come over in the still: tartaric acid b.p. = 275*C, while citric acid b.p. = 310*C.

They may, however, taste different in the wine. But if your intention is to distill the wine, then I wouldn’t worry too much about the flavor difference due to the acid. For example, a lot of all-grain distillers try to develop lactic acid in their ferments. And that may have a flavor impact, as the b.p. = 122*C for lactic acid. It, after all, is quite common in sour mash whiskeys.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

I believe still_stirrin answered your question very well.

I know you only asked about "acid" (ph down), but I feel it's also important to have a base/alkali (ph up) on hand too. I use Calcium Hydroxide (Hydrated lime or Pickling Lime). Calcium Hydroxide works very much like Citric Acid in that it alters the ph instantly. I have sometimes made the stupid mistake of reading my ph, adding too much Citric Acid forgetting that it's 'ph down' not 'ph up'. I then have to add some Calcium Hydroxide to raise the ph in order to correct it. I've also accidentally forgot to add Crushed Oyster Shell (Calcium Carbonate) to my sugar washes. The ph crashes overnight so I add Calcium Hydroxide to raise the ph and put the Crushed Oyster Shell in there to buffer the ph. It's just really handy to have.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

What is a 'second wine', that makes it different from wine?

I don't recall ever having to adjust the pH for any grape wine or brandy that was purely juice.
hawkwing
Swill Maker

Post by hawkwing »

NZChris wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:41 pm What is a 'second wine', that makes it different from wine?

I don't recall ever having to adjust the pH for any grape wine or brandy that was purely juice.
Second wine is basically talking the skins seeds and leftover pulp from the first wine and add sugar and water to make a second wine.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Been there, done that

I don't adjust pH unless it is unusually high, (I've never had to). Because it is a sugar wash, low pH is possibly a problem later in the ferment and adding shells may help. I put a couple of large sea shells in to act as a buffer but I'm not sure that they are always needed. Sometimes they gain weight due to crystals that form on the shells.

Adding finely ground forms of Calcium Carbonate can be a mistake if you are not a chemist and don't know what you are doing, or are following poor internet advice.

I always scoop the seeds out during the main ferment.
hawkwing
Swill Maker

Post by hawkwing »

I read that some people make a lighter table wine doing this using about half the water of the original wine. Some use the same amount of water but half probably is better for flavor. I’m hoping to be closer to a brandy than a sugar shine.