A complete nooby

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

declan7649
Novice

A complete nooby

Post by declan7649 »

Hello all, I got a 3 gallon still from vevor- assembled it finger tight,and have been watching videos on youtube. I don't really know where to start but this site should be very helpful.
JLP IV
Bootlegger

Re: A complete nooby

Post by JLP IV »

This site IS where to start. Avoid YouTube friend.
Welcome to HD
Prairiepiss wrote: Good thing we aren't bound by rules. And we can make it however we want. With whatever we want. As long as we don't talk to much about it in the open.
DAD300 wrote: And...ferment more and more often, always have something ready to distill.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Welcome Declan, there isn't an easy way to say this , Youtube and Vevor are far from the best ways to enter this hobby.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:41 am Welcome Declan, there isn't an easy way to say this , Youtube and Vevor are far from the best ways to enter this hobby.
Nope. But many a member have BTDT, so start reading and enjoy your journey Declan. In the end, this craft is what you make of it.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

I bought one of the Vevor stills as well, and then did a bunch of work to it to bring it up to HD standards. Aside from safety items like replacing the gaskets and removing brass, I would strongly recommend building yourself a better condenser. Mine was far too much of a hassle to operate effectively. With modifications, I think you’ll find that it’s a lovely little still to operate, and you will learn a lot working on it.
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Hell, friend we all start somewhere. Use what you have as a learning tool, enjoy the product you create with your own two hands and grow into the hobby. Haven’t bought a drop in many a year as I learned and grew, enjoy both the work in producing and consumption. Some may bitch about how long a run takes but I find it relaxing monitoring the flow, evaluating the jars, considering the probability. It’s a hobby. Love it.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
Boozewaves
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boozewaves »

Welcome :D ,
nobody has mentioned it yet so start by reading the spoonfeeding thread in my signature which was made by Cranky , best place to start , there are some good youtube channels but even some reputable looking ones are doing stupid stuff like storing once distilled low wines in plastic containers . This hobby is safe if you research + do it right
Become a distiller : start here viewtopic.php?t=52975
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Yonder wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:12 pm Hell, friend we all start somewhere. Use what you have as a learning tool, enjoy the product you create with your own two hands and grow into the hobby. Haven’t bought a drop in many a year as I learned and grew, enjoy both the work in producing and consumption. Some may bitch about how long a run takes but I find it relaxing monitoring the flow, evaluating the jars, considering the probability. It’s a hobby. Love it.
perfectly agree with everything!