Calling all Alberta hobby distillers

Discussion and plans for legalizing our hobby.

Moderator: Site Moderator

still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Calling all Alberta hobby distillers

Post by still_stirrin »

Very good DNS.

Hopefully those pebbles rolling down the mountain will roll (and grow) this far (south of the border). The microbrewery surge of the early 90's is an excellent example of how the momentum (and support) can grow politically and actually help infuse the revenue coffers. Simply put...interest breeds interest (and investment).

I wish the conservative nature of our government would take note as well. The liberal states (you know who you are) have loopholes and caveats written into their laws permitting consumer development as we "test the waters" of legality. Time will tell.

Thanks for taking the initiative DNS. It's all good, eh?
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

So it occurred to me on my (extremely) long drive home from pr%f in Washington that this information, with some base stats should be forwarded to the Minister of tourism here. The more the merrier right?

The idea being i dropped about 500 USD in tourist bux in the great state of Washington in span of about 28 hours.
there is an economic boon for the hosting city, and any centre of decent size could do "regionals".

with over 1000 attendees the show alone generated an naverage of 45000 in admission and i'd bet the average joe there bought a crock, but say half did...thats another 15000 in sales.
i'd guess there was at least 3 people x 50 vendors there so another 150 people and the registration for the show was at least 500 er booth (odin would know) so 25000 for them to attend.
everyone eats so 1150 people x at least 2 meals at 20 each is 46000 for area restaurants
if 20% of the people were out of towners that would be about 250 people that spent an average of 500 each or 125000 on fuel, hotels, meals and incedentals.

There was money spent on IT, advertizing and promotion, management, rent, and how many more obscure things?

direct impact of this 4 hour long show on the local economy? at least $250,000 dollars. do the income tax, fuel tax, hotel tax business tax and permits required.... the governement partnership in this event earned at least 100000....25 grand an hour?... that's folding money.

With our brand shiney new Tax and Spend governement in Alberta maybe this is a fresh idea for them to raise some tax dollars to spend on their social programs??? (ok maybe don't wave that flag in their face) :roll:

D-N-S, Since you have already outed your name to the gooberment, maybe you could send some more letters? what other Ministers may be interested?

( i get the distinction between hobby and cottage or craft, but there were a few vendors there that were displaying products from smaller batches than many here make. these guys were deffo working in their garages before they got whatever simple permits allow them to farmers market/farm gate/craft spirit shows their wares and make even more tax money for Washington. There is 150+ craft distillers in the state, and they all came from somewhere!)
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Bearded Distiller
Novice

Post by Bearded Distiller »

Cant wait to see the reply.

Unfortunately I don't think our new government will be changing anything anytime soon. They need all the tax dollars they can get there hands on.

AND GO FLAMES GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! haha
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

Ever any updates to this?
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
diesel75
Novice

Post by diesel75 »

I think that would be a great idea.I haven't heard of anyone being charged for moon shining in Alberta lately but,I don't want to end up getting a record for something I enjoy doing. Wish I new an old timer who knows about making whiskey. My grandpa didn't know anything about it.
Drunk-N-Smurf
Rumrunner

Post by Drunk-N-Smurf »

Boy have I been away for a while......

No new developments, haven't had much time to direct to the cause lately.

Though I've been itching to stir the pot again. I've relocated to Saskatchewan back in November and haven't even unpacked my still yet. But soon very soon lol.

Seems Saskatchewan is a little more relaxed on the issuing of micro distillery licensing, I don't have all the details yet but defiantly looks easier than in Alberta. I did talk to an rcmp officer that was living across the way about it and his response was as long as I wasn't selling then the local boys had no issues. He also mentioned that he new of a few guys in the area who enjoy the hobby.
Hangover? I don't get no stinking hangover!
papapro
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by papapro »

DNS Thank you for standind for ALL of us in Canada I loved the letter you wrote and apreciate that you are talking for ALL
provinces I know I am almost a year behind but I started to be more active recently.

I would like what has been changed since last year.

Papapro
Yes I am a Novice with 40+ years of doing this hobby
distilling is like sex the slower the better and everyone is happy
fermenting is opposit to sex the faster the better
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

nothing has changed on the hobby level.

yer not likely to get burned if you stay quiet and don't sell, it's not a witch hunt...but i have on pretty good authority (an AGLC inspector) that they actively look for illegal sales (not so much hobby production) and throw all the weight they can behind making a bootleggers life bad.

micro disillers are making good headway with the authorities out here and BC,but i understand the OLCB is still a bitch to deal with if you try and go pro in Ontario, but that is just what i have read. don't really know much about it...since i ain't there.

the big bad law is the excize tax one, owning a still in Canada without a license....but i have not found anyone charged with that yet.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Plaincrazy
Swill Maker

Post by Plaincrazy »

I have been away for a while to be sure, just quietly enjoying the hobby and putting whiskey away to age 8)

I can't seem to find any new information on the legality of distilling since the big changes last October.

As it stands now I can make my own wine, beer and now I can grow pot, but I still can't make whiskey at home. I don't need to re-read it to know that this violates the Canadian Charger of Rights and Freedoms.

Maybe I need to stand on a soap box, tell everyone I am moonshining, get myself arrested, take up law as a new hobby and challenge the status quo....ummm :think: would anyone actually take me on? I bet not, be hard pressed to find the political will I bet.

Can you vape moonshine? that industry is getting away with selling to kids for crying out loud :crazy: (Smoking rates going up in youth for the first time in decades)
There appears to be an inverse relationship between tangible distilling problems and possible drinking problems...
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

Been stupid busy, making shine when I run out and not coming on here. That said, I know a TON of people stilling now and I talk about it, darn near hold classes at the local brew store. Nobody cares. Seriously, nobody cares at all.

I think the pot thing just blew the doors off the barn and everybody is basically "do what you want, not my business "

I'd still rather have it officially legalized, but most if not everybody would view it as a non issue. Why even waste time on it, just do it seems to be the attitude now.

Gotta go, was going to write more....
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
Chevystairs
Novice

Post by Chevystairs »

thanks for all the info on this guys. i'm glad to see people fighting for the rights of free peoples.
if you make it for yourself whos business is it anyways.
I have looked at almost every site rule and forum on here first before I posted anything but i'm simple man and sometimes "it gets all blocked up in my mouth and i don't say it no goods"
dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dunluce »

Just read this necropost (good timing with Halloween?).

My take on this is that if no one is actively looking to prosecute a home hobbyist that is not selling or distributing, leave it alone. I have seen the government %#$& enough stuff over the years by "legalizing" it.

Safety course? Who's going to teach that? Do you seriously think that some government tight collar is going to be comfortable with one of US teaching that? No, it will be some OH&S person. And someone who has enough on their plate already so they won't take the time to do more than read a templated course with lots of errors in it.

Look at hunting now....you need a hunter's course, a wildlife certificate, a possession and acquisition license, a transfer number to even buy a long gun, etc. etc. etc.

Stop asking for trouble. If you want to look at legalizing it, sure, but stop giving them bureaucrats ideas on how to make the hobby more difficult.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

Klaus Schwab and the WEF is actively promoting alcohol…. For obvious reasons… but I wonder if this could be a catalyst to legalize home distilling? They get what they want (everyone drinking and distracted) and we get what we want, legalized home distilling?
Use their own nefarious plan against them!

Just thinking out loud.
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!