Camco 5500 watt element failure

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

captainshooch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Camco 5500 watt element failure

Post by captainshooch »

Have been using the Camco 02965 ULWD ripple elements for almost 8 years and just had my first failure.
The base of the element developed a crack and caused it to fail.
20221119_142911.jpg
20221119_143046.jpg
Never would have guessed this could be something that could fail..LOL, new one is on order.
Jstroke
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Camco 5500 watt element failure

Post by Jstroke »

Well I haven’t had one fail, but I guess 8 years is a pretty good rip. I would say the hour meter on that one probaby doesn’t owe you a dime
If in doubt leave it out.
captainshooch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by captainshooch »

Is what I thought, got my money's worth out of that one :ebiggrin:
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Wow! I would never expect to see the main body split like that.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

I will be willing to bet that is from a NPT fitting with the NPS element. I've used the same for a long time with teflon tape but shit happens.
captainshooch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by captainshooch »

Shoot AC, heck if I know. The element guard kit is China, Camco claims to be US, but my guess, China...sad but it is what it is. 3 other elements doing just fine, my guess, manufacturing flaw, i.e. bad casting when they did the base. But for what it's worth, I am still going to use their elements. Don't really know of any other manufacturers that have the reliability and history that makes Camco the best choice available.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Heck Hootch not a big thing and like I said Ive been using the same but all the elements are NPS threads and plumbing threads are NPT. Close but not the same that's why the element comes with the O ring its suppose to bottom out and face seal. I've got one older then your and is still in the game. :D
captainshooch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by captainshooch »

True, I also use a lot of Teflon tape on the threads, but this was totally unexpected. Like I said, probably a fluke and might never happen again, or at least I hope not. 8)
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

:thumbup: Good to see you at it still. You got the goods. Whats that port of xyz post again I use to enjoy it.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

captainshooch wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:20 pm Don't really know of any other manufacturers that have the reliability and history that makes Camco the best choice available.
Dernord makes spectacular heating elements. I have a Camco, but it's not one of their newer stainless brewing elements and it's still working just fine with a Still Draon element guard. The Camco is rusting at the main body, but that's expected. The Dernord element shows absolutely no signs of corrosion or degradation anywhere and if you compare the prices, they're a pretty darn good deal considering that they come with element guards. The Still Dragon element guard costs as much if not more than a Camco element.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

I would contact Camco and at least show them the picture. They might be interested.
be water my friend