Lab (glass) setup suggestions

Distillation methods and improvements.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Warthaug
Novice

Lab (glass) setup suggestions

Post by Warthaug »

As part of my goal of improving my distilling I've bought a small-scale lab-type still (1L boiling flaks, Vigreux reflux column, Liebig condenser, 0.5L receiving flask) which I am using mostly to test some gin recipes at small scale, and to play with some unusual yeast to see what they may add to a product. So far I've been quite happy with it, but for two things:
  1. Because there is no copper in the system, some of the distillates have a pretty strong sulphur aroma
  2. The vigreux column doesn't always give as much reflux as I may want
I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with these types of systems and had found good ways to resolve these issues? I've tried adding a bit of copper mesh at the top of the column, where the vertical column meets the condenser arm, which ironically seem to improve the reflux without stripping much sulphur.

Thanks

B
Brewer for decades, dabbler in distilling trying to get better at the craft.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Lab (glass) setup suggestions

Post by NZChris »

You should clean up the sulfides while making the base spirit, not when making the gin. On the few occasions when I've forgotten to put copper in my SS mini gin stills, I haven't noticed any sulfides in the finished product.
Warthaug
Novice

Post by Warthaug »

That's what I'm trying to do - e.g. copper mesh at the top of the column when doing the stripping run. But even with that I'm getting a lot of sulphur, and it persists even if I leave the copper in-place during the spirit run.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I’m not surprised. It’s the wrong still for making the base spirit. It has no copper in the boiler or condenser for the stripping run and no copper in the boiler for the spirit run.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 0450.x/pdf
Warthaug
Novice

Post by Warthaug »

Thanks for the link. I wonder if adding copper mesh to the boiling vessel, plus the stuff already in the column, would be a fix? The goal is to keep a lot of this stuff small-scale until I hit upon combo's I like, so I'd like to stick with the existing scale for now.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Trying to make enough clean spirit for gin trials in a 1l still would be very hard work. I do a lot of small gin runs, but the base spirit is made about once a year in a much larger still.
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

the base i use is only heart of hearts, made in my reflux still, i don't think you should be 'cleaning' anything up on a small run.
i keep a couple of 5l jars with 95% HofH neutral, ready to dilute for gin runs in the glass lab.
i played with the vigreux column and refluxing, but i don't bother with it now.
it does raise the abv by 6-8%, but a little 300mm column doesn't do much.
i make sure my neutral is good first.
Warthaug
Novice

Post by Warthaug »

Damn, not what I wanted to hear. I'm doing a lot of these small runs using odd yeasts that produce (hopefully) gin-complementing flavours. About 10% are good...the others range from a bad sugar shine through to toilet cleaner. Don't really want to be making more than a few liters of the base with them until I know if they'll be good or not.
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

In my hands cuts were difficult even with a 5 gallon still. Much easier with a keg boiler. With a 1 liter still and a 30% ABV spirit run you'd be lucky to have 75cc of non smeared hearts.
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

Warthaug wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:58 am Damn, not what I wanted to hear. I'm doing a lot of these small runs using odd yeasts that produce (hopefully) gin-complementing flavours. About 10% are good...the others range from a bad sugar shine through to toilet cleaner. Don't really want to be making more than a few liters of the base with them until I know if they'll be good or not.
i don't quite understand what you are doing, but i'm a novice too.
for my gin neutral i make 100l of FFV, strip it in pot still mode, then do a spirit run with my reflux column.
only then do i choose the neutral for gin making.
as far as i know, most commercial gin makers use GNS, i use heart of hearts from the spirit run.
i may be wrong, but i'm not aware of any 'gin-complementing' yeasts, what are they?
Warthaug
Novice

Post by Warthaug »

howie wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:15 am i don't quite understand what you are doing, but i'm a novice too.
for my gin neutral i make 100l of FFV, strip it in pot still mode, then do a spirit run with my reflux column.
as far as i know, most commercial gin makers use GNS, i use heart of hearts from the spirit run.
i may be wrong, but i'm not aware of any 'gin-complementing' yeasts, what are they?
In my "other life" I'm a brewer, and I've focused a lot of my brewing on the use of wild and other odd yeasts. Many of these produce esters and phenolic compounds that may complement the flavours of gin (citrus, tropical fruits, black pepper, clove, etc). I've been trying to produce base spirits with these yeasts on a small scale (4L ferments), to then distill to something more like whitedog than NGS for use in gin preparations (I'm using oden's recipe as a base for everything). I'm trying to stick to small scale for now so that I can test as many yeast as possible and then scale up once I've got one (or a few) that I like.
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

Warthaug wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:24 am
howie wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:15 am i don't quite understand what you are doing, but i'm a novice too.
In my "other life" I'm a brewer, and I've focused a lot of my brewing on the use of wild and other odd yeasts. Many of these produce esters and phenolic compounds that may complement the flavours of gin (citrus, tropical fruits, black pepper, clove, etc). I've been trying to produce base spirits with these yeasts on a small scale (4L ferments), to then distill to something more like whitedog than NGS for use in gin preparations (I'm using oden's recipe as a base for everything). I'm trying to stick to small scale for now so that I can test as many yeast as possible and then scale up once I've got one (or a few) that I like.
ok, sounds like an interesting experiment, keep us all posted.
are you using sugar or AG washes?
i've heard of different yeasts complimenting different beers, but never thought of applying it to gin.
closest thing i've done to a brewing crossover was a hopped gin with Columbus hops a few weeks ago, that turned out nice.
Warthaug
Novice

Post by Warthaug »

howie wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:58 pm ok, sounds like an interesting experiment, keep us all posted.
are you using sugar or AG washes?
i've heard of different yeasts complimenting different beers, but never thought of applying it to gin.
closest thing i've done to a brewing crossover was a hopped gin with Columbus hops a few weeks ago, that turned out nice.
Wow, did I drop the ball on replying to this. I've tried this a few times, using kveik yeasts which throw citrus character and pot/minimal column distillation to try and keep some of those flavours around. I was reasonably successful at capturing these flavours using a stripping run + 1 run through a modest-length column. I won't claim my distillations were steller - my cuts could have been better - but I was able to capture some of that citrus-like character in the distillate.

The captured flavour disappeared completely into the gin - it simply wasn't strong enough to stand out against the herbals plus the final distillation. Maybe someone with a better palate could find the notes, but to my palate it tasted basically the same as my previous gins using a "cleaner" distillate.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Learn to make really clean base spirit using a larger reflux still....once you can do that successfully add flavours by running again through the small glass still......trying to get flavour into gin by using different yeasts is the wrong way imo.
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

Wow, did I drop the ball on replying to this. I've tried this a few times, using kveik yeasts which throw citrus character and pot/minimal column distillation to try and keep some of those flavours around. I was reasonably successful at capturing these flavours using a stripping run + 1 run through a modest-length column. I won't claim my distillations were steller - my cuts could have been better - but I was able to capture some of that citrus-like character in the distillate.

The captured flavour disappeared completely into the gin - it simply wasn't strong enough to stand out against the herbals plus the final distillation. Maybe someone with a better palate could find the notes, but to my palate it tasted basically the same as my previous gins using a "cleaner" distillate.
[/quote]
ha ha time goes fast when you're having fun.
i still do a 'Mermaid Gin' style (Isle of Wight) with hops.
as per brewing, i don't want the bitterness of the hops, so i put the hops in the vapour path.
the picture is showing high quality neutral with macerated botanicals going through hops in the Odin collection method.
the picture is early days and i probably use twice as many hop pellets now, and also throw some loose pellets into the flask near the end of the run.
i use special yeasts like wyeast 1469 in my timothy taylors landlord for the distinctive taste, but i think a 3 x distillations (strip/reflux/gin run) would strip most of that out.
so i think if you want any particular flavour to come through, you would really need to add it at the masceration or gin basket stage.
Attachments
hopping gin.jpg