What is everyone drinking?

What do you drink, and how do you drink it?

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: What is everyone drinking?

Post by Bradster68 »

Some 8 month old mead I made
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
juana_b
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by juana_b »

Just sipping a glass of the 3rd bourbon I've made, used 2oz of crisp roast barley and 2oz of Patagonia perla negra per 5gal. Only about 2 months old now and is
facki g incredible!
Dont wanna sound too sappy, but I'm pretty fond of you knuckleheads and your unwavering diligence to progress this craft for us.😉 I'm proud to convey my deep hearted thanks to all the hard work you've shared.
For the newbs: read. Pick a member who's name is in green or red or purple or blue, then search their posts from the beginning to the end, read every one. Then go to the next member and do the same. You'll not only learn heaps, but you'll see that the learning curve these days has reduced immensely, comparatively. And in just a couple decades.
Jeez, I'm just pouring my 2nd glass and it sounds like I've had a dozen.
“Awards are merely the badges of mediocrity.”
― Charles Ives
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

I found myself delightfully drunk the day before yesterday after sipping on more of the UJ I've had sitting for about 6 months. Before I knew it, my decanter was nearly empty and I woke up the next day refreshed and ready to go!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Her Indoors has just discovered that the ice balls in her G&T have blue flowers set inside them for decoration.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Whisky (HBB) and apple juice (freshly pressed) with a dash of simple syrup and a splash of lemon juice. On ice obviously!
NZChris wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:39 pm Her Indoors has just discovered that the ice balls in her G&T have blue flowers set inside them for decoration.
Was that a good discovery or a "what the f**k did you do to my drink?" discovery?
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Just a little sample of a gumball from an all-grain. It's still new, only a month old but very sweet.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I took a hip flask of Punkin's Thai Terror to the pub because there had been a conversation about chilli peppers and seed sharing happening the day before. They were very impressed.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5887
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Celebrating my rye bourbon (72-17-11) 21mo in a 5gal barrel. Starting to develop dried fruits, orange and cherry mostly. Yummy.
Attachments
21mo bourbon copy.jpg
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

It’s not distilled, but this has been a long time coming for me.
11D93829-B514-4F61-961B-F4E204FEF2A0.jpeg
Back in 2016 several breweries in North Carolina got together to raise some money to help folks affected by HB2 (the law that said you can only use a bathroom designated for the gender on your birth certificate). I donated to the cause and got a glass. I was hoping to get two, since I donated twice, but no such luck, and I have no idea how to find another now. I could get the beer since they wouldn’t ship it and I couldn’t arrange to pick it up.

Fast forward 7 years, I was telling a coworker about it. His brother lives in Durham, where Ponysaurus Brewing is still making the beer. He picked some up for me, brought it up to us, and I got it when I got off work. So tonight, after a very long wait, I finally got to try Golden Rule saison in its own glass.
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Cucumber gin. I distilled it a couple of years ago and never got around to making any up. Our neighbor just gave me a cucumber, so I proofed some and we are having very nice cucumber G&Ts.
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

Steve Broady wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:11 pm It’s not distilled, but this has been a long time coming for me.

Back in 2016 several breweries in North Carolina got together to raise some money to help folks affected by HB2 (the law that said you can only use a bathroom designated for the gender on your birth certificate). I donated to the cause and got a glass. I was hoping to get two, since I donated twice, but no such luck, and I have no idea how to find another now. I could get the beer since they wouldn’t ship it and I couldn’t arrange to pick it up.

Fast forward 7 years, I was telling a coworker about it. His brother lives in Durham, where Ponysaurus Brewing is still making the beer. He picked some up for me, brought it up to us, and I got it when I got off work. So tonight, after a very long wait, I finally got to try Golden Rule saison in its own glass.
And? Was it worth the wait?
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

EricTheRed wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:47 pm
Steve Broady wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:11 pm It’s not distilled, but this has been a long time coming for me.

You know what I'm drinking Eric. Last of my corn oat whiskey and liking it. Time for more🍻
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

EricTheRed wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:47 pm
… I finally got to try Golden Rule saison in its own glass.
Absolutely! When I first heard about it, it sounded like exactly the sort of thing I’d like. I just wrote it off as one of those things that I won’t get to experience because of my work schedule. (To get the beer as part of the GoFundMe, you had to pre-order and pick up on a certain date, and I want willing to miss several days of work for a glass of beer.) I’m sure that made it that much better when I finally tried it, but it’s good enough that my beer-hating wife liked it as well.
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Visiting my Mom 10 hour drive. Dint bring any traveller's so bought some makers mark
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

My 2019 Absinthe. It has lost the green color, but none of the magic.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

F772ED4B-9A33-4558-B3E1-FBBD4AC78B7E.jpeg
A little research and i’ve been enjoying this one!

Cheers,
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:49 pm

Cheers,
-jonny
Uh, at that price point I bet its fabulous, Jonny. Gotta love them BIB whiskies!
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:49 pm F772ED4B-9A33-4558-B3E1-FBBD4AC78B7E.jpeg

Cheers,
-jonny
I sure like to give that a try
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Twisted Brick wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:12 pm
jonnys_spirit wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:49 pm

Cheers,
-jonny
Uh, at that price point I bet its fabulous, Jonny. Gotta love them BIB whiskies!
Gotta keep myself honest :) I’ll compare to the house bourbon when home later this week…

Cheers,
J
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

A 5 month old sugar head from some spent bourbon grains.
Laredo7mm
Bootlegger

Post by Laredo7mm »

Sampling some of my oak aging experiment. Toasted white oak sticks at 400F in 110 proof white dog. Been aging for about 3.5 months. Crazy how most of the graininess is gone compared to drinking it clear. It is very smooth and mellow at 90 proof. Not much flavor on the front end but I am getting vanilla on the back end. I kind of miss the full flavor of the white. The color is not very dark, I would say it is a straw color. It’s good, I’m just use to more flavor.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Laredo7mm wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:26 pm Sampling some of my oak aging experiment. Toasted white oak sticks at 400F in 110 proof white dog. Been aging for about 3.5 months. Crazy how most of the graininess is gone compared to drinking it clear. It is very smooth and mellow at 90 proof. Not much flavor on the front end but I am getting vanilla on the back end. I kind of miss the full flavor of the white. The color is not very dark, I would say it is a straw color. It’s good, I’m just use to more flavor.
Mine still has a slight grassy taste, but no sugar bite at all. Very sweet. Imma heavy char kinda guy so nice color but it's still new as far as I'm concerned. It should go 6 months IMO
Laredo7mm
Bootlegger

Post by Laredo7mm »

Right on, I’ll let her go for longer. I have other stuff I can sip on for a few months.
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dancing4dan »

An amazing single malt whisky. Hammer Malt, Golden Graham malted barley. Aged in an oak barrel. OH yeah...
"What harms us is to persist in self deceit and ignorance"
Marcus Aurelius
I’m not an alcoholic! I’m a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings!
AB-Rad
Novice

Post by AB-Rad »

Dancing4dan wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:16 pm An amazing single malt whisky. Hammer Malt, Golden Graham malted barley. Aged in an oak barrel. OH yeah...
What is a golden Graham malted barley and can you please put up the recipe for me.
AB-Rad
Novice

Post by AB-Rad »

I'm sipping on my Blackberry brandy pretty darn good for my 1st distillation
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

AB-Rad wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:27 pm I'm sipping on my Blackberry brandy pretty darn good for my 1st distillation
Mmmmm. I love me some brandy
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

UJSSM corn likker from the freezer, in an ice glass formed in the same freezer. I was assured by a friend that moonshine from the freezer tasted better and had better mouthfeel, but I don't think it does. It would be a good party starter, as you have to chug it before your glass melts, then you get to smash your glass without having to worry about cut feet or cleaning up a mess.
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

NZChris wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:21 pm UJSSM corn likker from the freezer, in an ice glass formed in the same freezer. I was assured by a friend that moonshine from the freezer tasted better and had better mouthfeel, but I don't think it does. It would be a good party starter, as you have to chug it before your glass melts, then you get to smash your glass without having to worry about cut feet or cleaning up a mess.
You are a party animal, NZchris! Myself like my whitedog AND some vodka brands from the freezer.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dancing4dan »

AB-Rad wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:26 pm
Dancing4dan wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:16 pm An amazing single malt whisky. Hammer Malt, Golden Graham malted barley. Aged in an oak barrel. OH yeah...
What is a golden Graham malted barley and can you please put up the recipe for me.
It is the malt I used to make the whisky. Sold by Hammer Malt.

40 pounds Golden Graham malted barley in 16 gallons X 2 fermenters. BIAB.
2 1/2 pounds rolled oats per 16 gal
Yellow label yeast as per directions

When ferment stops. Rack off the liquid and lightly squeeze out the grain. Cold crash.

That is a lot of grain and I did another ferment adding flaked corn and sugar on top of the barley and oats in the BIAB from both fermenters. Yellow label in the trub took care of that as well.

Combined all three and did pot still strip / spirit runs. Aged in barrel.

Because I use yellow label I don’t rely on the malt enzymes. Add water to grains to get 32*c and pitch.
"What harms us is to persist in self deceit and ignorance"
Marcus Aurelius
I’m not an alcoholic! I’m a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings!