Logbook

All things to do with making of gin

Moderator: Site Moderator

DavidB
Novice

Logbook

Post by DavidB »

I have searched the various fora but not really been able to find an answer ...

I am about to start making my own gin (from duty-paid neutral grain spirit). I can see how important it is to keep a track of what I am doing, what weight of this or that botanical I am using and (crucially) how it turned out.

To save me re-inventing the wheel, I wondered what kind of records everyone keeps and (hopefully) does anyone have a pdf or word document or spreadsheet or somethign that they would be willing to share?

Thanks in advance!

David
Metalking00
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Logbook

Post by Metalking00 »

Ive been handwriting my recipes into a journal.

When i make something for the first time i write down the ingredients and weights, and a description of the processes, maceration times, boiler wattage, dilution, etc, onto a scrap paper. If the recipe turns out good, i then write it down in my journal. If its not good, ill either tweak it and try again or just throw it away, depending on how "not good" it was.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I had written a small sheet (doc) and shared on the forum, I don't know if that's what I look for but if I find it I will send the link
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Metalking00
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Metalking00 »

Thats a good one Demy. I think ill start using that for my whiskies and rums! Thanks.
DavidB
Novice

Post by DavidB »

Thank you to those who replied. Especial thanks to Remy! I had already spotted your logs but they seemed more suited to perhaps rum or whisky than gin. I will probably try to tweak them to leave out the bits I don't need and add in the botanicals etc.

David
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I keep extensive notes on everything I do using Notepad.

E.g., for gin, I make a copy of a previous gin file and modify it to design the next gin. All of the files are stored on the cloud so that I can access them from anywhere using several devices.